D&D General One Piece of Art II (Monsters)- What D&D Art Inspired You to Love a Monster?

Voadam

Legend
1660233056731.png

Moldvay B/X Basic Set, Erol Otus.

Literally the first monster entry in the Basic Set. Ape, White is a full on pulp albino cave ape.

Bold black and white lines, very evocative. This brings to mind Conan style adventuring as these things are out there.

Richards

Legend
I remember being fascinated by this furry fellow when I was in middle school.

1660265454185.png

Artist: Dave A. Trampier
Source: 1e Monster Manual
Monster: Giant Spider

Nothing too out of the ordinary, just a spider much larger than the normal variety, but it kind of creeped me out knowing that party had no idea what they were about to get into. Sure, somebody in the back seems to have noticed it (he's pointing right at it), but it's already in its "attack" pose and well within pouncing range.

Johnathan

Rabulias

the Incomparably Shrewd and Clever
View attachment 257206

I have to go with the compass mermaid from X1. (By Jeff Dee, I'm pretty sure.) Sure, Darlene's mermaid in the 1e DMG might be reclining in a more classically alluring pose; but this one? She is ready to slither up onto the deck of your ship and mess your effing crap up with that trident. Half lady, half sea-serpent, all badass.
I don't think that is Jeff Dee's work. It looks more like Bill Willingham to me.

grimslade

Krampus ate my d20s
I remember being fascinated by this furry fellow when I was in middle school.

View attachment 257324
Artist: Dave A. Trampier
Source: 1e Monster Manual
Monster: Giant Spider

Nothing too out of the ordinary, just a spider much larger than the normal variety, but it kind of creeped me out knowing that party had no idea what they were about to get into. Sure, somebody in the back seems to have noticed it (he's pointing right at it), but it's already in its "attack" pose and well within pouncing range.

Johnathan
I do love this and it forever cemented my idea that giant spiders were furry jumping spiders rather than web-making sleek orb weavers.

Can't find a link just yet (will keep looking) but the 3.5 Elemental weirds (Monster Manual II, pp 90-93) always stuck with me and I can recall the second image (fire and earth weirds) at any moment.

Remove ads