D&D General One Piece of Art- What D&D Art Inspired You to Love a Class?

Voadam

Legend
Warduke, Red Sonja and even the '80's-version Kurgan from the first Highlander movie are all wearing "chainmail"
According to his two Basic D&D appearances in XL1 the Quest for Heartstone (as a pregen PC!), and in the Shady Dragon Inn, Warduke is wearing plate mail. :)

Muso

Explorer
Sturm Brightblade, Knight of Solamnia (a fighter)
Sturm.png

ilgatto

How inconvenient
The more I try to come up with artwork for these threads, the more I realize how hard it is to find some. I think the most important reason for this is that there was but very little D&D art available when I started playing the game and, if it was, much of it tended to be of questionable quality (imho, ymmv, ime, lamp, etc., etc., and so on). Therefore, we typically relied on our own imagination and such things as books and movies we'd read and seen up until then to breathe life into our characters - which I think is a good thing.

So I'm afraid I'm gonna have to go off-sync for this one as well, because there isn't really a picture as much as the pictures (yup) that made me love Thieves. Also, I'm gonna have to say that these pictures didn't really make me love Thieves as a class but rather inspired the personalities of two of my favorite Thief PCs.

It's a good thing we're allowed to use two pictures to demonstrate why we love a particular class, so I'll go with one of Errol Flynn for playing Robin Hood and other gallant, swashbuckling heroes, plus the sequence in the movie The Four Musketeers (uncut version) where the musketeers gallantly proceed to take a bastion at La Rochelle the siege-laying troops of the king have been trying to capture for weeks - and then abandon it again - just to win a bet that they wouldn't succeed in having breakfast there.

Artist(s): Errol Flynn & Monica Evans
Source: Robin Hood (Wolfgang Reitherman, 1937)
Class: Thief

errolflynn-4.jpeg

Artist(s): Oliver Reed, Frank Finlay, Richard Chamberlain, Michael York, Roy Kinnear
Source: The Four Musketeers (Richard Lester, 1974)

Breakfast 1/1 (YouTube)

Breakfast 1/2 (YouTube)

Apologies for the links, for they do not feature the scenes of the musketeers taking the bet and returning to the army camp.

Note: I played Thieves long before I'd heard of Cugel the Clever (of whom I have not posted a pic in another of these threads). However, even after I had, I have never dared use him as an inspiration for my Thieves for fear of having my inadequacy taint what is one of my favorite fantasy characters of ever. Although I do confess that one of my Thieves did try his best to speak like him (and many other characters created by Jack Vance).

The more I try to come up with artwork for these threads, the more I realize how hard it is to find some. I think the most important reason for this is that there was but very little D&D art available when I started playing the game and, if it was, much of it tended to be of questionable quality (imho, ymmv, ime, lamp, etc., etc., and so on). Therefore, we typically relied on our own imagination and such things as books and movies we'd read and seen up until then to breathe life into our characters - which I think is a good thing.

So I'm afraid I'm gonna have to go off-sync for this one as well, because there isn't really a picture as much as the pictures (yup) that made me love Thieves. Also, I'm gonna have to say that these pictures didn't really make me love Thieves as a class but rather inspired the personalities of two of my favorite Thief PCs.

It's a good thing we're allowed to use two pictures to demonstrate why we love a particular class, so I'll go with one of Errol Flynn for playing Robin Hood and other gallant, swashbuckling heroes, plus the sequence in the movie The Four Musketeers (uncut version) where the musketeers gallantly proceed to take a bastion at La Rochelle the siege-laying troops of the king have been trying to capture for weeks - and then abandon it again - just to win a bet that they wouldn't succeed in having breakfast there.

Artist(s): Errol Flynn & Monica Evans
Source: Robin Hood (Wolfgang Reitherman, 1937)

View attachment 279356

Artist(s): Oliver Reed, Frank Finlay, Richard Chamberlain, Michael York, Roy Kinnear
Source: The Four Musketeers (Richard Lester, 1974)

Breakfast 1/1 (YouTube)

Breakfast 1/2 (YouTube)

Apologies for the links, for they do not feature the scenes of the musketeers taking the bet and returning to the army camp.

Note: I played Thieves long before I'd heard of Cugel the Clever (of whom I have not posted a pic in another of these threads). However, even after I had, I have never dared use him as an inspiration for my Thieves for fear of having my inadequacy taint what is one of my favorite fantasy characters of ever. Although I do confess that one of my Thieves did try his best to speak like him (and many other characters created by Jack Vance).

The "Why, you speak treason!" "Fluently." exchange in The Adventures of Robin Hood is just classic.

The Four Musketeers (and the preceding Three Musketeers) is great fun. And that cast!

ilgatto

How inconvenient
The "Why, you speak treason!" "Fluently." exchange in The Adventures of Robin Hood is just classic.
Heh. I have to admit that I hadn't seen the movie in decades when I fairly recently acquired a copy of it and gleefully sat down to watch it - only to find out that it hadn't aged well at all, imo, so much so, in fact, that I didn't make it pas the first 15 minutes. However, posting the above made me hunker for it once more so I'm gonna watch it again some time soon. Knowing that my memory of it is flawed, I now fully intent to sit through the whole movie to get to the bits I like most when I saw it as a nipper.

The Four Musketeers (and the preceding Three Musketeers) is great fun. And that cast!
I saw both movies when I was a lot younger and I absolutely adored them. The panache, the elegance, the drama, the dark side, the humor, madame Bonacieux, the countryside, the cardinal and the court, the witty repartee, the nonchalance, the swashbuckling, the story, everything was brilliant.
So imagine my great joy when I later found out that I had seen versions of the movies cut for television and acquired the uncut versions. Tonnerre! I still love these movies today and I know I'm gonna wallow in them once more when I watch them again after I've seen Robin Hood.
I've also read the books a couple of years ago, including the follow-ups, and they are brilliant. Not quite Dickens, but the language, the setting, and how the characters behave in the milieu of the time more than make up for that. The only regret I have is that my French isn't good enough to understand the nuances and that I have to read them in English. Pity, for there's always things lost in translation.

Remove ads