• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

One player trying to one-up everybody else?

blackshirt5

First Post
I think that's one of the things bothering Rob, actually, is that with him essentially trying to compete with everybody else's characters, he's dragging down his own effectiveness and with it, the effectiveness of every other character in the group.

Zogg

First Post
Kindly boot the idiot from your group. I've already quit one game myself when it became clear that the players were playing against each other (serious one-upmanship) rather than as a cohesive party. I removed myself from the equation because I was the odd man out. But if your friend is the odd one, he should be out.

Last edited:

blackshirt5

First Post
Except that what starts off as me going "well maybe he can pull this off this time", by which I mean him wanting to do something different for what I believe are genuine RP reasons, ends with him usually losing control and just force-lightning-ing everything in sight; in other words sometimes he wants to be radically different for RP(which usually falls apart) or to try something different; sometimes he does it just to be l337; I'm gonna try to get him to stop

Djeta Thernadier

First Post
Do you think he would settle for playing NPCs or Villians etc. ? That might be a way to keep him in the group, while allowing him to play a vastly different sort of character than the rest of the group.

blackshirt5

First Post
Zogg said:
Kindly boot the idiot from your group. I've already quit one game myself when it became clear that the players were playing against each other (serious one-upmanship) rather than as a cohesive party. I removed myself from the equation because I was the odd man out. But if your friend is the odd one, he should be out.
I dunno about that, Zogg; he's a good friend and I think that a bit of talking and exploring of options oughta clear this up, and I'd hate to lose him as he's a genuinely nice guy and a pretty good player, except for this.

Henry

Autoexreginated
I'm with diaglo; let him hang himself; if there's one thing that both D&D and AU do effectvely, it's string someone out to dry who generalizes too much. A pure magister is shooting himself in the foot taking ambidexterity as his talent, assuming he's not going the unfettered or mage blade route later, and then the magister levels are going to hurt his combat ability.

Let him play with his character now, because it's a sure bet he will be complaining about how ineffectual his character is compared to all of yours, about 5 levels from now. :)

RobNJ

Explorer
Henry said:
Let him play with his character now, because it's a sure bet he will be complaining about how ineffectual his character is compared to all of yours, about 5 levels from now. :)
Maybe that's the problem. There has historically never been such a thing as 5 levels from now so far :).

TiQuinn

blackshirt5 said:
I dunno about that, Zogg; he's a good friend and I think that a bit of talking and exploring of options oughta clear this up, and I'd hate to lose him as he's a genuinely nice guy and a pretty good player, except for this.

This character may be unsalvagable. I mean, it already sounds like he's going down the road of ineffectiveness, so perhaps it's better to ask him to give up the ghost on this PC now. Try steering him towards a role in the group that isn't occupied yet. A Warmain, perhaps?.

blackshirt5

First Post
HEY! I'm working on it Rob!

Seriously though, I just don't quite have the spark in my
Star Wars game right now; if I were to run another one after I wrap this one up, I'm gonna set it during the Tales of the Jedi era. Where of course Ron's probably gonna wanna be a Yuuzhan Vong Sith Lord. :)

Zappo

Explorer
I don't know anything about AU. That said, I trust that it is impossible to create a character as strong or stronger than all of the others in their respective specialty fields. If he tries to do that, he will hang himself, if not now then a few levels from now.

Remove ads