You missed a huge thread in FL's forums during the playtest, then. About 15 of us.
One of the most prolific fans of 1E has decided, like me, to walk away. Rich. I know he's on RPGGeek these days.
It has ONE improvement: the travel rules.
Everything else is not as good. At least, not in beta. I've not gotten my books nor my final PDFs, the latter despite complaining to them.
If you find that better, enjoy. They lost me at the beta. And already have my money. Still, I know the dead tree will appreciate in value.
- Difficulty as adjusting number of dice means having to reveal difficulty to players before they roll,
- and prevents them from having correct dice pool in hand/dice-cup before their turn
- And the TN being fixed by doesn't speed up things when they can't be ready to roll without GM attention
- Song rules turned from multi-task to monotask
- too easy to regain hope in 2E. Overshoot.
- Weapons lose one stat, "Edge" - which was "What does my natural roll need to be to threaten a wound."
- No cultural weapons. Those added flavor
- Didn't fix the problems with the Rivendell treasure system, and made it standard rather than optional, this...
- upped the number of magic items in the party
- upped the treasure gained by the party
- Made the Eye of Sauron core... but didn't fix it. My party, after 3 adventures, was having revelations EVERY TIME THEY LEFT RIVENDELL!
- It's still per party, no correction for how many members.
- It's pretty steep due to the much increased amount of magical treasure.
- Monsters have trouble hitting PCs.
- PCs have little difficulty hitting anything short of the toughest monsters.
I would agree with this, though I have found 2e to be a VAST improvement in streamlining the rules AND making them more enjoyable to implement. The changes to the Skill Endeavour rules have been fantastic.That's very true too, Material gains in organisation continue: the 1e hardcover was an improvement on the initial 1e material, and 2e is a further improvement.
As one of the many big fans of 2e TOR, I'll note that I'm finding having Dunedain and High Elves mixed in with other characters much easier in 2e.Maybe I should have started a second thread called Let's kvetch about 2E TOR. Ah well...
LotRO isn't a bad choice. If nothing else the game if free to play and lose nothing but time.I was considering buying it until I realized I have the same problem with LotR that I do with Dragonlance in that I'm not really sure what I'd want to do with a setting that has a definitive and specific tale it revolves around. Weirdly, I don't have this problem with Star Wars, probably because I've read so many books and played so many games that aren't Skywalker focused. And I guess that's really my answer to the dilemma. I've been thinking of trying out Lord of the Rings Online, so maybe I'll immerse myself in the world that way and see if anything sticks.
Ruins of the Lost Realm should be out fairly soon too, offering some campaign guidance and plenty more Landmarks. Looking forward to this, as while the Shire serves a good role in the narrative (place of safety to contrast with dangers etc), I'm less interested in it from an RPG point of view. Excited about exploring the rest of Eriador however.Have my set. Love it. It's all incredibly beautiful, gorgeous stuff.
Excited to roll it out.
Starter Set very much focuses on early Hobbit/low level adventuring, which isn't a bad thing. Leads into the adventure hooks in the main book, so i'll probably work on penning that up.
I would agree with this, though I have found 2e to be a VAST improvement in streamlining the rules AND making them more enjoyable to implement. The changes to the Skill Endeavour rules have been fantastic.
I despised the changes to hope so much I blocked the switch to just adding dice. That alone is a dealbreaker for several of my players.
Those who have received yours: Do you receive a notice and tracking number when it's been sent? I've still heard nothing about mine.
Ah, that's good news! Thanks for the heads up.I haven't received mine, yet; but I got a tracking number yesterday. Hopefully it will actually ship soon. I saw a snippet of a YouTube video that Free League did earlier today and they said that they expect shipments to continue for the next two weeks.