One Ring 2E - Who's Doing What With It?

Bill Zebub

“It’s probably Matt Mercer’s fault.”
I backed the kickstarter with enthusiasm, but am now highly disappointed in the result. Apparently my expectations for what would be improved in 2E were diametrically opposed to Francesco’s plans.

The lore and artwork is all top-notch, but the mechanics have been simplified (maybe even “trivialized”) beyond what they were in 1e.

Laurefindel

Legend
I'm waiting for the physical format to arrive before i start anything official. Nevertheless, they made a good job of rationalizing the rules. I do miss the principle that your attribute don't come in play until your skill isn't enough to pull it through... In 1st ed, big strong climber is not better than the small weak climber at the same skill level. It's only when their skill isn't enough that being strong and tall will make the difference. I liked that because it was one of the only games where characters had "stats" but their whole characters weren't too dependent on them.

I liked the focus on Rhovanion A LOT, partially because it remained relatively Terra Incognita in canon LotR after The Hobbit, and I like that freedom. I'm curious to see if I'll like Eriador as much.

My first reflex would be to keep playing in the Rhovanion because I played there in 1st ed enough to get a good taste of it but not enough to feel like "moving on".

Not doing anything yet other than waiting for an AiME 2nd Ed to be announced and released. TOR is good, but hard to get new players for who are willing to learn all the new mechanics. I have most of the 1E books, including the original slipcase core book set, before they changed it into a single hardcover, and I still struggle with some of the unique mechanics they wrote for it.

I was considering buying it until I realized I have the same problem with LotR that I do with Dragonlance in that I'm not really sure what I'd want to do with a setting that has a definitive and specific tale it revolves around. Weirdly, I don't have this problem with Star Wars, probably because I've read so many books and played so many games that aren't Skywalker focused. And I guess that's really my answer to the dilemma. I've been thinking of trying out Lord of the Rings Online, so maybe I'll immerse myself in the world that way and see if anything sticks.
It does make sense. Despite Star Wars having galactic events (implausibly) center around one family's struggles, there is a real sense of a vast living breathing (even when cheesy or inconsistent) universe around them with a long history before and after their era, with numerous interesting conflicts on numerous scales suitable for storytelling or gaming.

For all the richness of Tolkien's lore, fundamentally the whole history of his world on some level just exists to set up several existential conflicts with Morgoth and then Sauron. On the one hand it makes Tolkien's dark lords some of the most impressive villains in fiction despite making little in the way of personal appearances and demonstrating little in the way of personality because they are so embedded into the worldbuilding. On the other it makes any story that isn't an important struggle against Morgoth or Sauron feel inconsequential, and it doesn't really leave room for any additional such important struggles to exist not already semi-covered by Tolkien's works. Tolkien did leave the period after the War of the Ring largely undeveloped, but this is because he himself believed it was uninteresting, centering on mundane human conflicts with the existential threat of Sauon defeated and Elves and much of the magic having left the world.

Bluenose

Adventurer
Well, that explains the confusion. Hopefully we se a 2e re-release for The Darkening of Mirkwood at some point. And the other great 1e stuff. It'd be a tragedy if this was all lost forever.
I imagine a campaign in Eriador is more likely, since that's the region they're emphasising in the core.

The game I'm planning, along the lines of DoM, is an attempt to resettle Tharbad. Plenty of exploration, dealing with local enemies and trying to make allies among the remnant populations of the region, going through the ruins of Cardolan and perhaps even the old 2nd Age ones, trying to attract more settlers, and so on. Alternatively I had this idea for a Dunland campaign, trying to unite the tribes and establish a kingdom that could be a factor in the WotR at the end of the Age, perhaps reconciling with Rohan and aiding them against Saruman's orc hordes.

Aldarc

Legend
Why is there confusion about what to do with The One Ring RPG?

The Darkening of Mirkwood pretty much showcases this and also rivals The Great Pendragon campaign for quality IMO. It's got a long and focused campaign arc, but also plenty of room for the GM to throw in other adventures. It's the best balance I've ever seen between open world sandbox and a plot-driven script.

...and looking about online I see that it's not available anywhere for a reasonable price. Of course.

Well, that explains the confusion. Hopefully we se a 2e re-release for The Darkening of Mirkwood at some point. And the other great 1e stuff. It'd be a tragedy if this was all lost forever.

Hopefully there will also be original 2e content that showcases the same thing. I hear rumours of a Moria campaign finally seeing the light of day.
I imagine a campaign in Eriador is more likely, since that's the region they're emphasising in the core.
My understanding is that Eriador was chosen partially because it could lead to Moria, much as the Fellowship traveled.

I'm waiting for the physical format to arrive before i start anything official. Nevertheless, they made a good job of rationalizing the rules. I do miss the principle that your attribute don't come in play until your skill isn't enough to pull it through... In 1st ed, big strong climber is not better than the small weak climber at the same skill level. It's only when their skill isn't enough that being strong and tall will make the difference. I liked that because it was one of the only games where characters had "stats" but their whole characters weren't too dependent on them.

I liked the focus on Rhovanion A LOT, partially because it remained relatively Terra Incognita in canon LotR after The Hobbit, and I like that freedom. I'm curious to see if I'll like Eriador as much.

My first reflex would be to keep playing in the Rhovanion because I played there in 1st ed enough to get a good taste of it but not enough to feel like "moving on".
IME Eriador is just as much of a terra incognita. How many places could your average person name in Eriador? The Shire, Bree, and Rivendell? Possibly the Grey Havens? That's pretty much what most people knows or thinks about this area. Most forget the dwarves of the Blue Mountains, the ruins of the Noldor city of Eregion, the northern kingdom of Arnor, its successor states, or Angmar.

reelo

Hero
IME Eriador is just as much of a terra incognita. How many places could your average person name in Eriador? The Shire, Bree, and Rivendell? Possibly the Grey Havens? That's pretty much what most people knows or thinks about this area. Most forget the dwarves of the Blue Mountains, the ruins of the Noldor city of Eregion, the northern kingdom of Arnor, its successor states, or Angmar.

I agree. It's time for me to brush up on my knowledge of LotRO, which I played a lot after its initial release. Arthedain, Rhudaur, Cardolan, Eregion, Forochel, the Ered Luin, the Trollshaws, the Lone Lands... so many places that the online game added small enclaves of civilization (good or evil) to.

Also, Mrs Santa has been good to me this year:
fbb4f87342690b2da105ea3321823f6c.jpg

Remove ads