Level Up (A5E) One thing A5E could take from OneD&D: Power Sources and Class Groups

Vigilante chain for instance does not rely on adept or ranger class features, and in fact artificer had to be retroactively added because the Batman fantasy clearly gels with Artificer (gadgets and all), but the initial feat chain only listed two classes so they had to tack on Artificer afterwards.
From what I have read about the Vigilante chain, the Artificer class can replace either the Adept class or the Ranger class. So a Vigilante can be a Adept/Ranger, a Adept/Artificer or an Artificer/Ranger. But you are going to still run into same problem I mentioned earlier, finding two archetypes that will actually work well together.

The Artificer in A5e only has three archetypes (Bombardier, Machinist and Stitcher). None of which lends itself well toward a Batman-like character. So you would need to look for an O5e Artificer archetype or a 3pp A5e Artificer archetype that does. Or you would need to craft your own homebrewed Artificer for the job.

I am going to guess that Batman would have the Exalted Athlete archetype because of him training and honing his mind and body to near perfection. As for the Ranger half of this multiclass combo, I am going for the Partisan | Level Up archetype. Batman fights dirty and unconventionally against criminals in Gotham City. ;)

Now if your vigilante makes use of a bow and a quiver filled with trick arrows (Hawkeye, Green Arrow, Artemis, etc.), then you'll be picking up the Ranger's Fantastic Fletcher | Level Up archetype. So Exalted Athlete/Fantastic Fletcher. ;)

It's weird IMO that the A5e Artificer was retroactively applied to the Vigilante chain since none of it's official archetypes lends itself well toward that feat chain. Is there a 3pp version of the A5e Artificer that does? curious

xiphumor

Legend
From what I have read about the Vigilante chain, the Artificer class can replace either the Adept class or the Ranger class. So a Vigilante can be a Adept/Ranger, a Adept/Artificer or an Artificer/Ranger. But you are going to still run into same problem I mentioned earlier, finding two archetypes that will actually work well together.

The Artificer in A5e only has three archetypes (Bombardier, Machinist and Stitcher). None of which lends itself well toward a Batman-like character. So you would need to look for an O5e Artificer archetype or a 3pp A5e Artificer archetype that does. Or you would need to craft your own homebrewed Artificer for the job.

I am going to guess that Batman would have the Exalted Athlete archetype because of him training and honing his mind and body to near perfection. As for the Ranger half of this multiclass combo, I am going for the Partisan | Level Up archetype. Batman fights dirty and unconventionally against criminals in Gotham City. ;)

Now if your vigilante makes use of a bow and a quiver filled with trick arrows (Hawkeye, Green Arrow, Artemis, etc.), then you'll be picking up the Ranger's Fantastic Fletcher | Level Up archetype. So Exalted Athlete/Fantastic Fletcher. ;)

It's weird IMO that the A5e Artificer was retroactively applied to the Vigilante chain since none of it's official archetypes lends itself well toward that feat chain. Is there a 3pp version of the A5e Artificer that does? curious
The Field Engineer from PMG fits this bill, although I think you’re ignoring the potential for having the Machinist bring in all sorts of Batmobile schenanigans.

The Field Engineer from PMG fits this bill, although I think you’re ignoring the potential for having the Machinist bring in all sorts of Batmobile schenanigans.
Probably. I could see him being a Vigilante in the Eberron setting, which has a number of vehicles in it for him to choose from. ;)

xiphumor

Legend
…though I think all spells really need to get all possible alternate schools tagged on them and continue to do so for each new spell.

I’m working on this. Part of the problem is that the this requires a lot of word count, and no one wants to spend their precious word count on a giant list. The other problem is centralization and knowing what new schools people have tried to add.

Here are all of the new schools that people have added in various products.

DDG - architecture, control
A5e.tools - displacement
GPG - travel
Paranormal Power - object, psion
PMG - mutliclass, ritual (these ones are less of a problem)

I’ve been talking with PJ about having a list of retroactively applied spell schools posted on his Homebrew and Hacking website, but I’m open to other ideas.

foxblade

Explorer
I’m working on this. Part of the problem is that the this requires a lot of word count, and no one wants to spend their precious word count on a giant list. The other problem is centralization and knowing what new schools people have tried to add.

Here are all of the new schools that people have added in various products.

DDG - architecture, control
A5e.tools - displacement
GPG - travel
Paranormal Power - object, psion
PMG - mutliclass, ritual (these ones are less of a problem)

I’ve been talking with PJ about having a list of retroactively applied spell schools posted on his Homebrew and Hacking website, but I’m open to other ideas.

PMG has a good index in Spells from the Forgotten Vault that could slot in this work pretty well in a future update, but since that is not a living document it still wouldn't really solve the problem. Roleplaymaker.com by the folks a Nexus Game Theory is probably the best current solution

xiphumor

Legend
PMG has a good index in Spells from the Forgotten Vault that could slot in this work pretty well in a future update, but since that is not a living document it still wouldn't really solve the problem. Roleplaymaker.com by the folks a Nexus Game Theory is probably the best current solution
I have a spreadsheet of every spell ever published for A5e either by ENP or by 3PP already. I agree they have a better solution, but I can work faster because I don’t have to make as big of a product.

Timespike

A5E Designer and third-party publisher
That style of index is also going to be in MoAR Complete (but just for its own contents), which I think will keep the number of sources you need to reference to three (the tools site, SftFV, and MoAR Complete) until additional A5E spells from 3PP sources hit the market.

However, I wholeheartedly agree that Roleplaymaker is a way better long-term solution. It's way easier for them to update that than it is for me to construct those lists, and they're also able to aggregate disparate sources in a way I can't. The way spells are organized in PMG products post-SftfV is largely as a favor to my librarian friend who pleaded for/demanded better spell organization.

xiphumor

Legend
That style of index is also going to be in MoAR Complete (but just for its own contents), which I think will keep the number of sources you need to reference to three (the tools site, SftFV, and MoAR Complete) until additional A5E spells from 3PP sources hit the market.

However, I wholeheartedly agree that Roleplaymaker is a way better long-term solution. It's way easier for them to update that than it is for me to construct those lists, and they're also able to aggregate disparate sources in a way I can't. The way spells are organized in PMG products post-SftfV is largely as a favor to my librarian friend who pleaded for/demanded better spell organization.
I’ve tried to contact them to see if they wanted support with that project, but not luck.

VanguardHero

Adventurer
Both Class Roles and Power sources are from 4e, and were much better implemented, for the record. The design of them for D&Done is laughably shallow. But crappy implementations of great 4e design is kind of o5e's entire MO. I'd definitely suggest checking it out.

Pedantic

Legend
Both Class Roles and Power sources are from 4e, and were much better implemented, for the record. The design of them for D&Done is laughably shallow. But crappy implementations of great 4e design is kind of o5e's entire MO. I'd definitely suggest checking it out.
I don't particularly want to argue about 4e, but I don't care for drive by promotion of it either, so I'll counter propose that class role was better encapsulated in Fantasy Craft.

Remove ads