D&D 5E One Year of DM's Guild

[MENTION=6787650]Hemlock[/MENTION], [MENTION=50658]Rem[/MENTION]athils, [MENTION=6785802]guachi[/MENTION],
I don't disagree with what any of you said. The UI and search capabilities are sorely lacking. Coming from a PDM database world, to me, any metadata that is there should be configurable for a search.

I don't know if it will help, or just get lost in the noise of another blog, but I have been toying with this idea for some months now, and decided to go ahead and start a blog and do my own product reviews. I've decided to just focus on products released in a Fantasy Grounds VTT format, as I felt trying to review any and everything was too broad.

For anyone interested, http://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/entry.php?232-Virtual-Scribe-Reviews

Here's a quick review of that blog post:

(1) It's a bit disappointing that the blog post talks about what is relevant to the blog's author (how the blog is going to function) instead of something potentially relevant to me (a review of an actual product). First impressions matter. Potential solution: prominent link to your first big review.

(2) It's really great that you call out "What I will not be evaluating/doing." It's always appreciated when a writer calls out the limits to his own goals, because it's difficult to know what is NOT contained in a piece of writing until you finish the whole thing. Good call there.

(3) I'm left with an impression that that page is addressed to writers who want more reviews for their product, and not for people looking for reviews. As such, maybe my "meh" reaction is due to me not being the target audience.

FWIW, that's my reaction. HTH.

Here's a quick review of that blog post:

(1) It's a bit disappointing that the blog post talks about what is relevant to the blog's author (how the blog is going to function) instead of something potentially relevant to me (a review of an actual product). First impressions matter. Potential solution: prominent link to your first big review.

(2) It's really great that you call out "What I will not be evaluating/doing." It's always appreciated when a writer calls out the limits to his own goals, because it's difficult to know what is NOT contained in a piece of writing until you finish the whole thing. Good call there.

(3) I'm left with an impression that that page is addressed to writers who want more reviews for their product, and not for people looking for reviews. As such, maybe my "meh" reaction is due to me not being the target audience.

FWIW, that's my reaction. HTH.

I appreciate the feedback. The intent of that post, the first one in the blog series is two fold.
1) Let people know I'm doing reviews and how to get their product reviewed.
2) Lay out the criteria for the reviews so when I rate something 3 stars, people know what that means.

Now, if you want actual reviews, there are now two posted:
- Free Virtual Map Collection by Assassin Games
- Random Monster Tables by Rob Twohy

Also, be aware that these reviews are all relevant to Fantasy Grounds products, so if you're looking for a review of an adventure pdf that doesn't have an FG module, you won't find them :)

I think the DMs Guild is doing a great job or serving its purpose of:

1) Providing a one-stop shop for D&D PDFs. "D&D Classics" was good, but the name made it awkward as a place for new content.

2) Allowing fans to write content and charge for it.

3) Allowing fans to update campaign settings (over time), rather than having that stuff be hidden away or limited to fan sites and of questionable legality.

4) Providing an avenue for people desiring more crunch and small adventures for their games without requiring them to make it themselves or flooding the market for all players.

5) Allowing the Adventurer's League content to reach a much wider audience who does not have access to a local game store and allowing those adventures to make money rather than costing WotC money.

6) It's a venue for Print on Demand and selling new hard copies of old books.

Is the Guild perfect? Nope.
But it's easy to forget the alternatives are also imperfect.

Having to find content across blogs and on D&D Wiki? Not fun. And you were never sure of the balance.
Neither was having to learn the OGL and worry about a C&D.

Or the glut of expensive 3rd Party Products at the start of the OGL. Even well known names like Kobold Press or Green Ronin (who can make and sell their own non-SRD games) still have people questioning their quality. People continue to act and think like there's something magic about the WotC logo that makes content more balanced than that of another company's.

Dragon Magazine was nice, but even during it's 4e days (or the Paizo days and the claims of "100% Official!" on the cover) it was never *really* the same as a hardcover book. Playtesting wasn't a thing, and deadlines meant that a lot of "close enough" content made it in.
It's easy to look back at all the awesome stuff of Dragon, but that's generally ignoring the months of crud that people bought because they had a subscription and no choice. It's condensing months of purchases down to the most memorable content.
And really, Dragon no longer works. Magazines are a dying industry. Looking at any past issue of Dragon and so much of it was letters to the editor, editorials, advice articles, copious amounts of ads, fiction, product previews, fluff and lore, and the occasional crunch. So much of that content is no longer needed, as the fluff already exists, the advice is handled by free blogs, letters to the editor are tweets to Mearls, website previews replace the promotion, etc.

From a writer's perspective it does seem like the Guild peaked. There was the surge of initial interest when everything was new and people were anxious for content. And then it dropped off to a small trickle of sales, for both new products and old. People bought all they wanted, and thus sales have slowed. People willing to use 3PP books bought their fill and are mostly satiated.
Plus, with so much content out there so fast, it's hard to find a gap people want and are willing to invest money into.
And with so many hits already written, it's harder to get noticed amid the established much-purchase content.

I imagine the future of the Guild will depend on the storylines and if WotC opens up more campaign settings (and which settings). Something like Dark Sun would drive a lot of sales as people update the races, class options, and especially the monsters. Something like Greyhawk... less so. And equally so, storylines that lend themselves to more 3PP support on the Guild would be nice.

I appreciate the feedback. The intent of that post, the first one in the blog series is two fold.
1) Let people know I'm doing reviews and how to get their product reviewed.
2) Lay out the criteria for the reviews so when I rate something 3 stars, people know what that means.

Now, if you want actual reviews, there are now two posted:
- Free Virtual Map Collection by Assassin Games
- Random Monster Tables by Rob Twohy

Also, be aware that these reviews are all relevant to Fantasy Grounds products, so if you're looking for a review of an adventure pdf that doesn't have an FG module, you won't find them :)

I read both those reviews. FWIW, they are readable and appropriately concise, and seem likely to improve the purchaser's experience for any product they're attached to, by helping to set expectations and call out good points. Nice job.

Mageman

Explorer
DMS guild UI is terrible. Filtering terrible. I rarely use it. But I love to read reviews thanks for posting them.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I read both those reviews. FWIW, they are readable and appropriately concise, and seem likely to improve the purchaser's experience for any product they're attached to, by helping to set expectations and call out good points. Nice job.

Thanks for taking the time to read them and letting me know what you thought. I too hope they work as intended.

Jeremy E Grenemyer

Feisty
Supporter
I know there's a few other creators on here. Want to do a compare/contrast? I'm positive other folks have different experiences that can add to a better understanding of this new marketplace.
Let's see what I can add to the conversation.

I have only created one product for the DMs Guild. It spent far too much time as a freebie "preview" of the actual product I intended to publish. Once published, my product sold a handful of copies quickly and then it slowed to a trickle (read: 1-2 sales a month).

Things I've learned:
  • My product weighs in at 25,259 words. Royalties total $52.05. That's $0.00207 per word.
  • Small price points are not the way to go if you're publishing anything with more than ten pages. Price your product like it's valuable.
  • If I had to do it all over again, I would have spent way more time searching for quality artwork that was free for public use or available at reasonable rates. I have not made back my cost for art and cartography. Original art and cartography are very expensive.
  • Having friends that proactively sell/link to your DMs Guild material within their personal network on social media helps sales.
  • In terms of trading time for money, I'd have made far more money working a couple extra hours a night for minimum wage than spending 4-5 nights a week fiddling with a sourcebook. On the other hand, I like writing sourcebooks a hell of a lot more than working a second job late at night.
  • Producing DMs Guild content is for me a labor of love. I'll accept less money if it means I get a substantially better feeling about how I spent my time, and the work I produced.

I hope this is useful.

EDIT: One more thing. Sharing information with your fellow creators on the DMs Guild about useful resources and easier ways to get an idea out of your head and published is a good thing. This thread houses some of what I and other DMs Guild creators have learned.

Last edited:

discosoc

First Post
That site is basically useless as far as I'm concerned. It uses the same crappy layout as rpgnow and crew, and it's really just not a format that scales very well. I'm sure there are some amazing products, but I'm not about to try and find them in that mess.

*edit*

One last thing: people keep bringing up the lack of comments and reviews. I think that's actually something that speaks to why most industries actually employ people to review products. Most of us really don't give useful information proactively. Now, that doesn't have to mean full-time rpg journalists who receive advanced copies before "release" either. Look at video games like Skyrim, and how the community reviews mods. Youtubers make a small living doing nothing but reviewing new mods for the game. Technically amateurs, but they have consistency that builds into reliability for the audience.

We don't really have that for RPGs. Officially-licensed stuff gets reviewed, but the fan created content is the wild west, and seemingly hasn't learned a single lesson from the OGL days. Part of that is the low bar for entry: basically anyone can put together a crappy product for an OK idea and "publish" it on TDMG, so it's no wonder that there haven't been many (any?) people doing good quality reviews on new stuff that hits the site.

I honestly don't see a real great solution to this problem. The DMG site itself has a crappy UI, but the reality is you aren't going to see positive changes translate into positive experiences for long. If they start adding a filter to allow people to hide anything without a review, then it will just become standard practice for new authors to make sure each of their products has the minimum reviews to get listed. It will be an arms race just like SEO is an arms race.

The closest I can think of for a possible solution is something in the form of a middle man. The more "official" the better. Basically, someone (or some company or group) needs to start a curated list of DMG content that meets a baseline set of standards (concept, originality, presentation, editing, art, something else?). It would act like a sort of "peer review" for the indie-RPG industry, in that potential authors submit their works to this group to be rated. If accepted, it gets added to the list with the ability for users to look through, with a link back to the DMG for purchase.

Of course, that would take a bit of money in the beginning, but I can't think of another solution.

Last edited:

Sithikurro

First Post
Nice thread, thanks. I think I can contribute as a person completely new to DMG, but who recently published their first work (Homeward Bound).

I put a lot of work into the book - gametesting, writing, correcting, typesetting etc., searching for free art. In total its "only" about 13,000 words, but I am proud of it and the people who bought it love it too (there is also a review on EnWorld). So, I had visions of success and proving my wife that "this useless hobby" is not so useless ;).
After two weeks my royalities amount to 21$. I have no idea if this means success or not (but juding from the other posts here it could be worse), but perhaps I am too impatient (got that disadvantage when my stats were being rolled).

As far as DMG is concerned: yes, the UI is terrible, but managable. But my biggest gripe is with the art they promise - there is simply too little of valuable, or just nice enough artwork. I ended up scouring stock image sites, searching for CC0 images. Secondly, no way to inform people about my work: yes, there are social media, but you can't just spam a facebook group with info every single day - it's rude. The hottest titles on DMG site stay hot and the new ones are quickly pushed back, so unless you're REALLY interested in EVERYTHING the DMG has too offer, you'll never browse through everything. And this situation will keep getting worse and worse, as new products are published.

In a few weeks I'll be publishing another book on DMG and will see how it works out. But my final word for new publishers and authors counting on DMG is this: hold your horses. Don't expect wonders. Keep writing.

Last edited:

Remove ads