OneBookShelf (drivethruRPG, dmsguild, et cetera...) Enshittified.

Thomas Shey

Legend
Well, I have the advantage anything I really care about (as compared to random things I got with bundles) are already offline in two different hard drives, so that's not a big worry for me.

aramis erak

Legend
There's a small number of files in my library (something like 13% or so) that won't download when I use the app's "download all" function. It keeps returning an error in the process no matter what I try.
I've a handful that have been taken down by the publisher, and cannot be redownloaded. They cause issues in the app. ANd the app misbehaves on my eInk tablet.

eyeheartawk

#1 Enworld Jerk™
Publishers can and have removed redownload access. I've a few like that. D&D Cyclopedia used to be one of them. But when WotC put it back available, my >10 years prior purchases became reavailable.
I'm still salty about this.

I get old WotC removing PDFs from sale because they thought it would stop piracy or whatever (lol). But to remove them from my library after I paid for them was and is garbage. They are mine. I should have been able to redownload them into perpetuity. The icing on that cake too was that after WotC came back to the drivethru ecosystem and they restored my past purchases to my library the wrote about it like they were doing me a favor and I should be grateful.

Voadam

Legend
I'm still salty about this.

I get old WotC removing PDFs from sale because they thought it would stop piracy or whatever (lol).
They said it was for piracy but that was nonsensical. Not selling out of print stuff to stop piracy of the out of print and/or 4e stuff was nonsense on its face. The nonsense explanation ticked me off as insulting.
But to remove them from my library after I paid for them was and is garbage. They are mine. I should have been able to redownload them into perpetuity. The icing on that cake too was that after WotC came back to the drivethru ecosystem and they restored my past purchases to my library the wrote about it like they were doing me a favor and I should be grateful.
Same

Particularly when rpgnow originally said you could always download stuff you had bought and I bought a bunch from rpgnow in the original go through before it had merged with drivethru. When WotC yanked access with one day notice I was quite mad at losing access to everything there and on Paizo (which I still cannot redownload from).

The drive by WotC to push D&D players to 4e physical books at the time by cutting off 4e PDFs and access to older edition PDFs was particularly galling.

Drivethru enabling download access cut off through their contract setup so publishers could now do so was not welcome either.

eyeheartawk

#1 Enworld Jerk™
Drivethru enabling download access cut off through their contract setup so publishers could now do so was not welcome either.
Yeah, not really sure what the thinking here is. I can see OBS getting bullied by a company the size of Hasbro, sure. But to extend that same option to any old hobby publisher?

Come on man, I paid for these titles. Get your hands out of my pocket.

Last edited:

Thomas Shey

Legend
Yeah, not really sure what the thinking here is. I can see OBS getting bullied by a company the size of Hasbro, sure. But to extent that same option to any old hobby publisher?

At the time I can see Paizo having some heft, too.

Voadam

Legend
Yeah, not really sure what the thinking here is. I can see OBS getting bullied by a company the size of Hasbro, sure. But to extend that same option to any old hobby publisher?

My suspicion is that it was Drivethru's contract setup from the beginning and rpgnow merged into drivethru completely with everything rpgnow then going by drivethru's setup after the merger. Rpgnow's statements on forever downloads should have been honored even after a merger, but I think it was probably not on anyone's mind during or after the merger.

Remove ads