Online Digital Tools Disappearance Risk Discussion

Retreater

Legend
In fairness, this was exactly the argument that I was making. That those who had already purchased the product would likely still be able to use the product but that no one else would be able to purchase it.

Also, exactly the argument I was making.
When you need a specific platform to view your content (Roll20, DDI), once that service stops being supported, if you can't download it as a PDF, then it's gone.
If you're not actively signed into the service, or if it is no longer compatible with the new version of the software (as is the case with 4e on Fantasy Grounds), then you can't access it.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
So, my opinions differ depending on what digital content we are talking about, and where and why I am accessing it.

If I buy a pdf that's really intended to be my own copy, no, you don't get to reach in and edit it.

If, instead, we are talking about, say, D&D Beyond, where the idea is to have a single source that many people can use to manage a game, then I'm more okay with updates being pushed to me. Trying to keep separate versions of that information and mechanics integration would be a bit much. If I paid a fee one time - that doesn't entitle me to permanent support of the material.

Retreater

Legend
If I paid a fee one time - that doesn't entitle me to permanent support of the material.
I understand there is a value to that service worth the price of the fee. For example, if I buy a subscription to Roll20 and purchase content to run for players, the value is that I didn't have to import the data into Roll20 and that I get to have those features for my online game.
But also having been on the receiving end of losing access to content stings.
Do you normally purchase PDFs and/or physical content of material you buy on services like D&D Beyond? Are you okay with material being updated/changed or lost while you're in the process of running a campaign? Or maybe that you won't be able to go back and access it five years from now?

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
But also having been on the receiving end of losing access to content stings.

Expectations matter.

Do you normally purchase PDFs and/or physical content of material you buy on services like D&D Beyond?

So, if context on my personal habits helps:

I have a bunch of stuff in pdf form, but I don't use most of it for active gameplay. I sometimes use it so I can have the same reference in multiple locations for doing prep when I don't want to lug around books, but I don't refer to pdfs during a session.

I have bought a few things on D&D Beyond, because that's a platform I've been using in play.

Several GMs I play under use Roll20, but I have not bought anything for it myself.

Are you okay with material being updated/changed or lost while you're in the process of running a campaign? Or maybe that you won't be able to go back and access it five years from now?

I expect my pdfs to be static, but I am the one who maintains their storage. That's on me.

I recognize that I'm not maintaining the storage of D&DB stuff, and that means it might change. I went into those purchases knowing that, and I made the purchases specifically to support current play, not play that may or may not happen years from now. I'm not really worried about the longer term there. If D&D Beyond folds, I may lose that information. I'm okay with that.

I am not a player that gets upset by rules changes, to be honest. If I'm going to play, I'm going to play - a few differences here or there aren't going to ruin the game for me. I'm... just not that uptight about it.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
I copy and paste Dndbeyond stuff. My thoughts on licensed items is that if they charge the same or nearly the same as the stuff I own, I'll save it.

While I was sad that the 4e tools disappeared, it really didn't effect my life. I just moved on.

So, my stance is one of principle, not anything more or less.

Retreater

Legend
While I was sad that the 4e tools disappeared, it really didn't effect my life. I just moved on.
Whereas, for me, if those tools still existed, I'd likely be running 4e right now. As it is currently, the system is too unwieldy to run without the tools. The tools were so integrated with that particular edition that I think it affects its stance in the hobby.
You'd probably have triple the number of players (or more) if those tools were still available.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
Whereas, for me, if those tools still existed, I'd likely be running 4e right now. As it is currently, the system is too unwieldy to run without the tools. The tools were so integrated with that particular edition that I think it affects its stance in the hobby.
You'd probably have triple the number of players (or more) if those tools were still available.
I played a few times after they disappeared, it was different for sure. But I don't agree you need them. As for having more current players, that's likely true, but I'm guessing WotC and other publishers are happier when one edition is dominant.

I've used DNDBEYOND so much now, I'm not sure I can play 5e w/o it....

Remove ads