• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[OOC] Metal Joe / Black Ops d20 Modern - FULL!

Krizzel

First Post
'Metal Joe' combines ideas from Metal Gear and GI Joe, among others, into a near-future black ops campaign. The PCs will be part of a secret branch of the US military tasked with dealing with various terrorist threats.

A brief sketch of the campaign background is below, followed by character creation guidelines.

-----

In 2007 the U.S. government authorized the revitalization and expansion of the secret Special Counter-Terrorist Unit program (SCTU) to combat new threats of an increasingly convoluted and expensive ‘war.’ Nicknamed the ‘Charlie-Tango’ teams, the small squads of the SCTU lie outside the regular military branches and conduct the black ops, ultra-sensitive missions that no one else can.

Teams Alpha, Bravo, and Charlie were reactivated and re-staffed to join the still active Delta team, and new Echo and Foxtrot teams were added. All of the teams had their rosters and budgets increased. Additionally, a support unit of several hundred ‘second-string’ soldiers is maintained for large scale operations. The entire SCTU, under the overall command of General Abernathy, answers directly to the President.

It is now 2015. New terrorist groups seem to be popping up all over, some seemingly interconnected and some just spurred on by the success of the others. As the new replacements for team Tango Bravo, it is your job to help the President deal with these threats by any means necessary…

Terrorist Organizations and Other Enemies

Serpent Legion – What began as a radical militia movement in the United States during the early 1970’s grew through pyramid schemes and semi-legitimate businesses into a strong, secretive terrorist group. In the 1990’s they made a move to further legitimize their operations, secretly purchasing a Pacific island and founding a U.N.-recognized nation before anyone could react. Their name and symbol derives from the Revolutionary War ‘Don’t Tread on Me’ flag. Their leader is an enigmatic charismatic individual who delights in his public exposure.

Crimson Jihad – A middle eastern militant group focused not just on religion but more on nationalism. They desire a single, giant middle-eastern state with the elimination of any outside influences.

Foxhound – The former team Tango Bravo. They were the best of the Tango teams, and their commander the most well-liked. Unfortunately he was too well-liked, and when he decided Uncle Sam didn’t appreciate him enough the rest of his people went with him. They are now a mercenary unit, selling their services to the highest bidder with little regard for any set of morals.

M.A.R.S. – The Military Armaments Research Syndicate, a high-tech weapons dealer and manufacturer based in eastern Europe. They deal willingly with any party, and sometimes even employ mercenaries to create or sustain conflicts in order to keep the money flowing. They have plenty of links with many of the groups.

The Sons of Liberty – Another American militia group, but this one draws the elite from the business, entertainment, and political realms that abandoned the old democratic party. They want to remake the Constitution and the nation with themselves as the new founding fathers with a new social agenda and perfect society that they plan on forcing everyone to adopt.

The Jugglers – A rumored secret cadre of high-ranking military officers trying to run the country as a military dictatorship from behind the scenes. They are more of a legend than anything else.

Chong Chong Tang (Dragon’s Teeth) – A nationalist movement in Vietnam that wanted to topple the government and restore the old monarchy in a more democratic state. Contacts with the Chinese Triads however has moved the ‘Tang towards more of a criminal organization. Most intelligence agencies believe that their reach may be farther than anyone has ever suspected.

Black Oktober – The left over remnants of the Soviet analog to the SCTU, made up of the bits and pieces that Russia didn’t manage to hang onto. Their leader is dedicated to the return of communism to Russia and then Europe. Forgotten by a nation that wanted nothing to do with them, the Black Oktober group is basically unemployed special agents with a very tough axe to grind and the leisure & time to carry out their will.

Major Locations

North America – Dominated by the U.S., with a strong ally in an increasingly strong and friendly Canada. After years of extremely close elections and ballot-counting scandals, the ‘States two-party system began to disintegrate, and the independently aligned President Wadsworth was finally elected in 2012. There are now a half-dozen more or less major parties, and scores of independents. Politics tends to focus upon the twin sacred cows of social reform and aggressive, proactive defense actions. This has not endeared the superpower to many countries.

Central and South America – Increasing unrest and the presence of ‘undesirable’ elements has led the U.S. to ‘offer’ military aid to help police several nations in the area. Many new small countries are splitting off and reforming chaotically.

Western Europe – While Britain and Germany remain strong allies, many other nations here are increasingly dissatisfied with U.S. policies. The European Union has had to deal with its own share of ethnic unrest, though not as much as eastern Europe, and have taken drastic actions to stave off potential flashpoints for a new world war more than once. New small countries appear in an attempt to appease ethnic militants by parceling out the ashes of splintered countries.

Eastern Europe and North Asia – While parts of eastern Europe are splintering even more quickly than western, Russia is gaining slow, steady strength. They still have a huge amount of problems, but they are beginning to dominate the region with a new, unpredictable regime combining communist legacies with democratic reforms. Russia desperately seeks any way to regain its former superpower status.

Central Asia – China has been making quiet deals while other nations have been distracted, and is now the world’s number two power. Surprisingly, they occasionally support the U.S. on some issues, especially on dealing harshly with dissidents and terrorists. The Chinese Triads have developed into an organization that is much more powerful than any other organized crime group before, and most suspect that they are unofficially supported by the government.

Southeast Asia and Australia – The country of Vietnam is in the process of pulling itself out of the stagnant economy that communism had enforced on it with the embrace of capitalism. Unfortunately the old regime is reluctant to let go of its hold. The Chong Chong Tang is very active in southeast asia, and controls many of the criminal activities that stretch even into Australia and perhaps beyond.

Middle East and Southwest Asia – The middle-eastern area has been in a constant state of war for the last decade, ever since the peace talks spectacularly broke down with the assassination of the leaders of both sides. Life is difficult there in a war zone that has gotten so much worse as battles break out daily every day and not only just between soldiers.

Africa – Decades of tribal bloodshed has not spared the continent of late. A few major groups now control the entire continent, fracturing it based on old Kingdoms. Most of these groups are controlled by warlords who exult over their power. One of those factions controlled by one charismatic pacifist has gained ground in the continent despite the bloody retaliation from the warlords who would not like to see her vision spread throughout Africa.

Space Station Alpha and Matsui-Ziedel City – The International Space Station was completed in 2005, and after that the United States has more or less abandoned their space program, aside from launching new satellites with regularity. Space Shuttle missions are now rented out to other nations to help support the budget. Other nations have slowly expanded the station into a modest facility. Beginning in 2009, the European and Japanese Space Agencies began collaborating on a lunar base. The basic structures were completed in 2014, and a small population now lives in the city, rotating on 18-month shifts.

-----

Character Creation:

The PCs will be part of the new replacements for the Bravo Team.

I'm shooting for 5 or 6 PCs, though if there is more or less interest we can try to accomodate somehow.

Ability scores will be standard point buy with 30 points.

Characters should be 6th level. Don't forget to indicate where you're adding your ability score increase for 4th level.

Starting Occupations should be either Law Enforcement or Military. Others aren't strictly prohibited, but you'll need to have a good reason why you've ended up in an elitie military unit.

Don't worry about allegiance (will be done entirely through roleplaying) or wealth bonus (I haven't decided how to figure the checks for increases at each level yet).

You can pick out some reasonable equipment for your characters if you wish (personal equipment only, that your character has bought for themselves). The military will supply you, though, with anything you may need for a mission. You can also pick out a home, car, etc. if you like, but it isn't really important at this point (we won't be doing any 'off-duty' adventures to start off).

As to classes, all the basic classes are okay, as are most of the advanced classes. The Personality, however, does not really fit. None of the classes from the three sample campaigns are allowed.

Lastly, you need to have a well rounded team. Some suggestions for roles that might need to be filled:

Scout / pathfinder
Sniper
Electronics / computer expert
Heavy weapons
Translator (most characters should try to have one or more extra languages)
Driver / Pilot (don't forget watercraft either)
Demolitions

I'm sure there are others I'm not thinking of. Don't forget to double up roles and spread things out in case someone gets injured. And every character needs to have decent combat skills - you are soldiers, after all. Each character needs a certain amount of basic skills and self-sufficiency.

Okay, have at it then! ;)

edit - changed thread from recruiting to full

Last edited:

Krizzel

First Post
Sounds good...post your character here.

Oh...I'll assign ranks after we've got all the characters. Probably everyone will be the same rank (or at least equivalent) unless there is an obvious and agreed upon leader. Otherwise the 'leader' will rotate depending on the mission and who has the most applicable skills.

EDIT - Something else I forgot...

Don't forget your character's code name! Whether you want something more Metal Gear or more Joe, that's fine - just nothing too goofy! Ie, no Super Trooper!

As far as bios, I'd like your character's prior service branch (army, navy, police, etc.), any specialties (sniper, etc.), and a one paragraph capsule bio. These capsules will be available to everyone.

If you want to write out a more detailed history, that's great! Anything that helps me generate plot hooks is wonderful. If you do this, email it to me rather than posting it, after you've put your character up. The other characters won't know your detailed history, so it's up to you to reveal as little or as much as you like in game.

Last edited:

garyh

First Post
Re: [OOC] Metal Joe / Black Ops d20 Modern - Recruiting!

Krizzel said:
Teams Alpha, Bravo, and Charlie were reactivated and re-staffed to join the still active Delta team, and new Echo and Foxtrot teams were added. All of the teams had their rosters and budgets increased. Additionally, a support unit of several hundred ‘second-string’ soldiers is maintained for large scale operations. The entire SCTU, under the overall command of General Abernathy, answers directly to the President.

Terrorist Organizations and Other Enemies

Serpent Legion
– ...

The Jugglers – ...

Black Oktober – ...

I really, REALLY like the above references. Way to work in the original inspiration. :)

EDIT - ... and MARS, too!!

Last edited:

garyh

First Post
I'm thinking either a heavy machine gunner and demolitions guy, or a badass ninja mofo decked out all in black. ;)

Krizzel

First Post
Thanks ;) It was fun to draw in all the ideas and change them into something new. I'm sure it'll get even better as we play and start fleshing things out.

As for those two guys, either one is cool with me. But if you make a mute, scarred character you don't get a mask that makes you look like a 16-year old version of Duke!

(or was that supposed to be plastic surgery? ugh)

EDIT - Uriel, cool ;) That is the one I might have chose if I was playing. That or heavy weapons.

Last edited:

garyh

First Post
Uriel_fire_of_Heaven said:
I'm in, I'd like to take a/the Scout/Infiltrator role.

:D

That was gonna be my bad ass ninja mofo!! :eek:

Well, we can share, or i can take the heavy weapons / demo path. :)

Krizzel

First Post
garyh said:

That was gonna be my bad ass ninja mofo!! :eek:

Well, we can share, or i can take the heavy weapons / demo path. :)

Redundancy is good ;) Never know when you'll need two infiltraitors...or more.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads