• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

OotS 611 is up!

Was I the only one hearing Drowning Pool's "Bodies" while reading the strip?
That should be like Belkars theme song.

Belkar gets character growth, by becoming the same kind of person he always was (at least in outward behavior), but he seems to have embraced on some level being more than a pure stereotype. If he's going to die (like has been implied), he's going out with a big bang.

This was the same Belkar that stood atop a mountain of the bodies of his slain enemies at the Battle of Azure City. He's probably power attacking, cleave/great cleaving, and whirlwind attacking (we do often see him attack lots of inferior opponents that go down in one or two hits, it would be a good feat for him). If I was a 1st or 2nd level Rogue, I'd re-think my career options if told to take down a Halfling Ranger 13/Barbarian 1 (working with a Human Cleric of between 7th and 12th level, given he can cast Sending but not Resurrection), even as part of a squad of a dozen or so of similar level.

DandD

First Post
I doubt that Belkar would finish off Crystal. She's the same level as Belkar, and she does follow the big leader's order. And she's a chick. You might not know if Belkar suddenly screws around with her during combat...
The moment both rogues finish off the cleric, Belkar is going to lose.

jeffh

Adventurer
I doubt that Belkar would finish off Crystal. She's the same level as Belkar, and she does follow the big leader's order. And she's a chick. You might not know if Belkar suddenly screws around with her during combat...
The moment both rogues finish off the cleric, Belkar is going to lose.

One on one in a fair fight, a Ranger should clobber a Rogue of equal level. This is why Rogues don't fight fair. What he does need to do, though, is separate the two Rogues, or finish one off very fast.

Starbuck_II

First Post
Think of it this way: Belkar raging, using magical daggers, probably with some strength enhancing magic item like a belt of giant strength or something attacking his favored enemy:

Primary attack: 1d3 + 7 (Strength) + 2 (magic) + 2 (favored enemy) = 1d3 + 11 damage.

Secondary attack: 1d3 + 3 (Strength/2) + 2 (magic) + 2 (favored enemy) = 1d3 + 7 damage.

Total: 2d6 + 18 damage

6th level rogue average hit points: 21.

N.B. I assume Belkar has a 16 base Strength, plus a +4 belt of giant strength, and he is raging. I also assumed he had two +2 daggers, based upon the fact that Haley had a +3 bow. If Belkar has a higher strength (quite possible), or better magic items (also quite possible) the damage numbers go up even more.

Wait, +2 Favored Enemy? Which Favored Enemies does he have?
It should be +6 X/+4 X/+2 X or +4 X/+4 X/+2 X.
One of those X's are Kobold and another is human (possibly one is goblin).

chitzk0i

Explorer

Shouldn't it be +6/+4/+2 and +4/+4/+4? I did a double take at that post, too. My bet is that Human is his highest. Roy, Haley, and Elan are human, aren't they?

Storm Raven

First Post

For the purposes of argument, I gave Belkar the minimum favored enemy advantage possible. We know one of Belkar's favored enemies is human, but we don't know how he has chosen to arrange his favored enemy options.

I also assumed he "only" had a 16 base strength. Given that he has had at least three level boosts, he could easily have an 18 or 19 base strength. He coule have better than a pair of +2 daggers.

The point is: Belkar would have no trouble taking out a 5th-6th level rogue or multiclass rogue with every pair of attacks. Clearing that room of eleven opponents should take Belkar no more than 4-5 rounds, assuming he has feats like power attack, cleave, and possibly improved two-weapon fighting and the like.

Remove ads