Open Source D&D World

Sporemine

First Post
Hi people,

I was recently reading an article on open source software, including the Pros and Cons, and I thought the idea of a community effort to create something would be applicable to the creation of a world/campaign in D&D.

The idea of an open source world is simple. I start on a small scale (As recommended in the DMG,) and anybody that wants to add something to the world, can.

It can be anything, no matter how big or small. You could lay down the framework of the world's history, make some monsters, an adventure, a job, NPCs, a faction, local wildlife, building design. It doesn't matter what it is, just add something to the world.

To start:

Timothy the Rat.
In "The Legion", a tavern, popular with the city watch, somebody wants Timothy "The rat" dead. They will approach any party entering the tavern, and ask to speak with them in a more secluded location. There, they will make it clear that they want timothy's head. If pressed, they will reveal that two other groups were killed when they made attempts on timothy's life.

You can fill in whatever you want.

Kudos

-Sporemine

aco175

Legend
I think that something like this would be cooler in some other program, a wiki? It might require people who know how to use it along with a moderator or two to organize and filter things, but it could be cool.

The buzzard's nest is a secret location rumored to be a cave that the mad pirate Delagos One-Ear hid a massive amount of treasure before he died. Many suspect that the entrance to the cave is seen only at low tide under a full moon. There is some truth to this in that low tide allows one to enter the cave system on the isle called Stormrock. The other part of the mystery involves a special key of unknown location that opens a door not seen in the cave to the demiplane of shadow.

Sporemine

First Post
I feel the same on the wiki thing, but I want to be sure people like the idea before I shell out for a server comp or pay for a domain.

"Of all the men I sent looking for the rat, only one returned. A sailor found him and brought him to me. He was bloodied and babbling. He was seeing things..."

"He kept rambling about a creature he saw, something about the rat and a 'buzzard's nest'..."

"He collapsed, bloodied, screaming about something he thought was coming after him. I put him out of his misery.
"

The rat has opened the door and is attempting to harness what lies inside. He must be stopped at all costs.

Kudos

-Sporemine

surfarcher

First Post
You could use a free wiki to start with. Just make sure it's one that lets you export/backup your data and take it with you when you move.

fuzzlewump

First Post
As they exit the tavern, "The Legion," a figure follows behind, trying to be covert. He is Kaxyl "Sharp-eye," a bounty hunter of sorts. He will follow until noticed, trying to eavesdrop, then will approach to speak. Heavily cloaked, with a deep scar that slices through his eye, underneath a thick leather eye-patch.

"More pigs to the slaughter, I reckon. Upstarts like you are in prime pickin' condition. But, hell, you look different. Maybe you can face this thing. I'm 'bout ready to throw in the towel myself."

If ignored, or is reacted to with great hostility, he moves on, scoffing. When conversed with, "Them 'guards' sure ain't guardin' our interests. The 'Rat' and his gang have been payin' them off for weeks. Now, they send eager little pigs like you, like I said, to the slaughter. You're walkin' into a trap. Now I, I really want him dead. Maybe then my boy can rest in peace."

Sporemine

First Post
As they exit the tavern, "The Legion," a figure follows behind, trying to be covert. He is Kaxyl "Sharp-eye," a bounty hunter of sorts. He will follow until noticed, trying to eavesdrop, then will approach to speak. Heavily cloaked, with a deep scar that slices through his eye, underneath a thick leather eye-patch.

"More pigs to the slaughter, I reckon. Upstarts like you are in prime pickin' condition. But, hell, you look different. Maybe you can face this thing. I'm 'bout ready to throw in the towel myself."

If ignored, or is reacted to with great hostility, he moves on, scoffing. When conversed with, "Them 'guards' sure ain't guardin' our interests. The 'Rat' and his gang have been payin' them off for weeks. Now, they send eager little pigs like you, like I said, to the slaughter. You're walkin' into a trap. Now I, I really want him dead. Maybe then my boy can rest in peace."

Awesome.

Where could I find a free wiki?

Sporemine

First Post
The wiki is definitely a next step. Before I go to the trouble, I want to make sure people are interested.

Kudos

-Sporemine

surfarcher

First Post
I wasn't too happy wth the Google offering and wikispaces doesn't specify that your data is yours (you should be able to export or download a backup of your wiki or at least request one - I don't see that in their ToS or Features). That's the main thing you'll want in a ftree wiki. As long as a free wiki offers that you should feel happy to run with it.

I have been using wikia.com which I am very happy with. It offers an export and virtually unlimited space. I'd share my little campaign site on there but it's not quite ready (give me another month or so).

aco175

Legend
I think that you should have some guidelines on how things should opperate before you get too far. I have heard, but seen only bits of, that some group world building efforts get bogged down in the little things and in the things you may find too fantastic.

One site I heard of almost fell apart from arguing about what kind of sand the southern town of whatever uses to make glass. Other pages and posts that use everything may be too much such as the King's brother is realy an outerspace mouse like race that I seen in the movie Prince Caspian. You get the idea.

I think that somthing like this could be fun.

Remove ads