Open Source D&D World

bySwarm

First Post
Semi-open source

At bySwarm, we are going to have a model that's pretty close to open source. You maintain ownership on anything you submit, but you give the rest of the community a license to use it for free for use in their games and you give the company a license to use your contributions in published products. If your contributions do make it into a published product, you'll get part of the 60% revenue share that goes back to the authors. We're looking at the whole project as a way for anyone with writing skills and creativity to contribute to a sort of living campaign setting.

There's a lot more detail on the site if you are interested. Our deadline for setting concepts (Stage 1) is February 20, so there's only a few weeks left.

Sporemine

First Post
At bySwarm, we are going to have a model that's pretty close to open source. You maintain ownership on anything you submit, but you give the rest of the community a license to use it for free for use in their games and you give the company a license to use your contributions in published products. If your contributions do make it into a published product, you'll get part of the 60% revenue share that goes back to the authors. We're looking at the whole project as a way for anyone with writing skills and creativity to contribute to a sort of living campaign setting.

There's a lot more detail on the site if you are interested. Our deadline for setting concepts (Stage 1) is February 20, so there's only a few weeks left.

I checked out your site, and the idea looks good, but the whole "filling out approval forms and getting people to approve it" thing is a little intimidating for people who just want to quickly submit an idea.

Sporemine

First Post
I think that you should have some guidelines on how things should opperate before you get too far. I have heard, but seen only bits of, that some group world building efforts get bogged down in the little things and in the things you may find too fantastic.

One site I heard of almost fell apart from arguing about what kind of sand the southern town of whatever uses to make glass. Other pages and posts that use everything may be too much such as the King's brother is realy an outerspace mouse like race that I seen in the movie Prince Caspian. You get the idea.

I think that somthing like this could be fun.

This is going to be important. You seem to have experience with this kind of thing, so if you have any pointers, they are welcome.

surfarcher

First Post
As a veteran of many online group environments I strongly suggest you get togethor a panel of competent mods and a couple of admins and hash out the groundrules first.

Sporemine

First Post
I wasn't too happy wth the Google offering and wikispaces doesn't specify that your data is yours (you should be able to export or download a backup of your wiki or at least request one - I don't see that in their ToS or Features). That's the main thing you'll want in a ftree wiki. As long as a free wiki offers that you should feel happy to run with it.

I have been using wikia.com which I am very happy with. It offers an export and virtually unlimited space. I'd share my little campaign site on there but it's not quite ready (give me another month or so).

I checked out wikia.com. It looks good for what we're doing.

What do you think I would call an open source D&D world wiki?

Kudos

-Sporemine

Xphile

Explorer
I think that you should have some guidelines on how things should opperate before you get too far. I have heard, but seen only bits of, that some group world building efforts get bogged down in the little things and in the things you may find too fantastic.

One site I heard of almost fell apart from arguing about what kind of sand the southern town of whatever uses to make glass. Other pages and posts that use everything may be too much such as the King's brother is realy an outerspace mouse like race that I seen in the movie Prince Caspian. You get the idea.

I think that somthing like this could be fun.

I do like the principle of the idea, as I like world building. You may want to head over to the cartographer's guild and see if you could help out there instead though. They have a cooperative world building project that they create maps for (and sometimes other things). Some people may appreciate someone to flesh out details.

Sporemine

First Post
I do like the principle of the idea, as I like world building. You may want to head over to the cartographer's guild and see if you could help out there instead though. They have a cooperative world building project that they create maps for (and sometimes other things). Some people may appreciate someone to flesh out details.

Cartographer's guild? I need a link.

surfarcher

First Post
Well I'd use whatever name you come up with for the world :D

Unless you have a specific idea in mind you'll probably be best off trying to gather your admin/mod team and work through it with them. You could recruit in a thread on this site and then take the private discussion to email.

Remove ads