Opening Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes

Unlike 4th Edition, 5th Edition D&D has had a much slower pace for book releases. While some fans grumble, the change has worked in WotC's favor, making each release an event, and interest is doubled for source books like Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes.

Unlike 4th Edition, 5th Edition D&D has had a much slower pace for book releases. While some fans grumble, the change has worked in WotC's favor, making each release an event, and interest is doubled for source books like Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes.

mordenkainens.jpg
View attachment 97718

While Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes (MtoF) is a rich resource for both players and DMs with 144 monster stat blocks, new options for elves, dwarves, tieflings, halflings and gnomes, and a host of inspiration, it also reads a bit like a story that reveals the cosmology and pre-history of the D&D multiverse. That fulfills Mike Mearls’ goal of explaining the driving forces in the D&D multiverse so that a new player or DM would have a good sense of the world.

Much like Xanathar's Guide to Everything, MtoF uses the conceit of having been written by someone within the D&D multiverse – Mordenkainen, the legendary wizard from Greyhawk who believes in maintaining "the Balance" out of fear that any victor in the war between good, evil, law and chaos would become a tyrant. This allows the book to use epic conflicts as the organizing theme, and it's a good choice.

The first chapter explains the Blood War, the ongoing battle between demon and devils with details on the demon lords of the Abyss and the devils that rule the Nine Hells. It answers the common question, "Why don't evil beings join forces to conquer the multiverse" rather well, providing an excellent viewpoint for devils.

MtoF provides ways to customize NPC cults according to the associated demon or devil lord. Cambions, devils, demons, and tieflings also get customization options. The demon lords detailed in Rage of Demons are reprinted here for simplicity and to keep everything together, but they're modified with increased hit points and often higher damage attacks.

The primal history of the elves explains not just how Drow became outcasts, but why there are so many types of elves. Rather than make "they're evil" the motivation, it's a more complicated origin akin to Lolth and Corellon as parents who turn on each other, leaving their children to suffer for it. The origins of the Raven Queen, Eladrin and Shadar-Kai also tie into this epic conflict. If the upcoming D&D movie succeeds, this bit of history could make a good prequel.

Elves, dwarves, halflings, gnomes and tieflings get various player options including charts for quirks, personality options, etc. and more details on the various deities and their relationships with their followers. If you ever wondered what an elf experiences during reverie and why, MtoF answers that along with the Drow counterpart, how elves punish crime and more.

A much talked about teaser for the book revealed the new ability, Corellon's Blessing. Because the creator of the elves can change into any shape, with the DM's approval, this ability allows an elf to change their gender once a day, after a long rest. Mechanically, it's a simple gift, but it led to some fan debates as to whether the "Player's Handbook +1" rule would limit players who wanted this ability to MtoF, preventing them from using it with the class options from Xanathar's Guide to Everything. While MtoF doesn't specify, the free PDF, Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes Primer, which is available on DriveThruRPG and the DM's Guild web sites, indicates that for official play, Corellon's Blessing, along with some deity choices for elves, dwarves, halflings and gnomes, are not limited by PHB+1.

After explaining their intertwined origins, sea elves, Shadar-Kai and Eladrin become player options in MToF with the latter gaining variant options of Spring, Summer, Autumn and Winter Eladrin. These options are subject to PHB+1 for official play. However, in a D&D Beyond interview designer Jeremy Crawford cautioned that the Eladrin listed in the monster section in the back of the book are not player options.

Much like the history of the elves, dwarves and their tragic fight with the duergar (now a player option) is another key piece of lore. Deities of both groups are explained, which makes sense since fealty to and hatred of Moradin is at the core of the split between the two. The sidebars on the effects of alcohol on dwarves and duergar are interesting and could be used to add depth to one's role-playing.

Gith also become player race options in MToF, but Giff do not. The latter are a hippo-headed, military race from Spelljammer with art that makes everyone who sees it want to play one. It would be relatively easy to homebrew an option using the monster stat block as a foundation.

Official play for the Githyanki and Githzerai requires that they be members of the Sha'sal Khou, a group of radicals seeking to reunite the two groups into one Gith species. Much like how organized play requires lawful evil characters to be members of the Zhentarim, this requirement gives the DM a way to rein in characters since Githyanki tend to be lawful evil.

Between the Gith entry and the duergar, there are numerous references to mind flayers and their long-gone empire, so it's a bit surprising that it's not detailed in the book. It would have been a logical addition. The creatures in the bestiary have higher challenge ratings to accommodate characters 10th level and above.

Considering the number of planar creatures in MToF, I suspect Sigil may be part of an upcoming release, with a revival of Spelljammer as a close second guess – especially since Mike Mearls noted in a recent video that Spelljammer ships cross planes instead of sailing through space.

The book's covers are well done, though the limited edition cover (my follow-up review displays that cover) by Vance Kelly is far more impressive in person. It's downright stunning, but photographs don't show off the metallics or details well whereas the mainstream release cover by Jason Rainville do.

My only real complaint about MToF is its length. At 256 pages, it's substantial but several parts could have been expanded further without the book feeling bloated. The options provided give players a lot to work with for character-based adventures. DMs will find a wealth of inspiration and creatures to challenge parties of any level. It's very much a success.
contributed by Beth Rimmels

Beth Rimmels

Beth Rimmels

Thyrkill

Explorer
I'm in the opposite camp. I've been running a campaign for 3 years and the PCs are engaged in multiverse-changing events. I imagined, very early on, they would be facing a Demon Lord and the Daelkyr alien horrors from the Realm of Madness. The PCs all have legendary items, artifacts, and their first Boon. They have yet to face a Demon Lord but it's going to happen. The last great horror they faced killed their leader with a Finger of Death, requiring a very costly True Resurrection. I'm eager for them to fight a worthy Demon Lord, but he won't be from Tome of Foes.

That sounds bloody amazing!

Did they lower the CR? I hope so (haven't got the book).

We got to review some of MToF, but it only included some unique Archdevils, no Demon Lords; the Archdevils' CR were around 20. From memory, I thought they felt about OK, in terms of their stats vs their CR, which in reality probably means they were still too under-powered for real life high level PC's, but better than the MM.

Their CR is the exact same. I'd say just use the Demon Lords from "Out of the Abyss" because you're right, PCs are WAY more powerful than their CR and require some juiced up baddies. This is especially true when they have powerful gear

There are plenty of powerful and interesting monsters that are worthy of entire adventures or spicing up a thematic campaign. The new orges are fantastic, both fluff and crunch. They're a perfect addition to any campaign where you want to pit your PCs against a warband. For starter campaigns a Skulk makes for the perfect mysterious monster. Not "powerful" in standard DnD terms but very kewl mechanics that make it difficult to pin down. This means by the time the PCs actually face it they should be able to kill it quite easily, but that's OK. Tome of Foes has a good number of powerful monsters, and interesting ones.

There are two demons, Dybukk and Maurezhi, that are perfect for an "Evil Dead" style Campaign. The Dybukk possesses dead bodies while the Maurezhi "inhabits" them, sort of wears their skin. Again, neither are super powerful, even for their CR, but they can thwart the average PC party simply because they're not Undead (turning doesn't work on them). Not to mention, the Maurezhi can create Ghouls so that throws PCs off the trail. Add in the Devourer from "Volo's Guide" and you have a big evil baddy leading a horde of demons for Orcus.

Connorsrpg

Adventurer
Initially, reprinting stuff did not bother me much, especially things like spells, popular subclasses or common monsters that would see a lot of use. But reprinting demon lords, which I love but they would hardly see action in game, when there is already a book titled "Out of the Abyss" (where you would expect to find them) is a complete waste of space... and a complete waste of a DM's time if they have CHANGED the stats. WHY? I would rather a different bunch of demon lords than having two versions of same ones. I am still very much looking forward to the rest of the book, but that does irk me. Out.

CapnZapp

Legend
Initially, reprinting stuff did not bother me much, especially things like spells, popular subclasses or common monsters that would see a lot of use. But reprinting demon lords, which I love but they would hardly see action in game, when there is already a book titled "Out of the Abyss" (where you would expect to find them) is a complete waste of space... and a complete waste of a DM's time if they have CHANGED the stats. WHY? I would rather a different bunch of demon lords than having two versions of same ones. I am still very much looking forward to the rest of the book, but that does irk me. Out.
They will keep reprinting stuff as long as we, the customers, let them.

guachi

Hero
See this book is one part monster manual, one part player supplement, one part race (species guide) guide, a one part Demihuman Deities for 5e.

Its not a bad book, it has some great stuff, but I feel like you could take all the supplements and the material in them and reorganize it by function and the material would work far better and be easier to use.

This is my problem with the book, too. It's like each of the non-adventure books is a compilation of whatever material the creators have at the time.

Each book is less than the sum of its parts and results in a book that's less than it could be. A book that combines all the monsters into one book would be phenomenal. All the player stuff in one book would be a great PHB 2. Instead, we get books I don't purchase (except for Volo's, because I had store credit and the store was going out of business).

Li Shenron

Legend
These are pretty much established trends in 5e books, I wonder why people are still surprised about them:

- Books are light. There is a lot less material compared to typical 3e books. For core books this is actually a good thing that mostly has to do with the game being simpler and actually needing less written stuff; so the 5e PHB has the same potential as the 3e PHB, even more classes and races actually, and lots of spells were merged, but overall the material needs less words (just check the difference in text size and space occupied by artwork). OTOH, for supplements it may not be that positive, but WotC doesn't have nearly as many designers it used to have in 3e, and they made it clear they won't release stuff unless they are sure about it (personally I think it's a bit bogus, I think they are now just caught into the habit of simply cutting down any UA material down to 2/3 just because, even if it would be fairly balanced already). Anyway, that's just to say that it is quite annoying to see people still expecting twice the stuff it could fit in a 5e book with the current layout, and then be disappointed.

- Stuff gets reprinted. Whether they do it because they need some filler, or because they genuinely want to help those who don't buy adventures or settings book, it's going to happen again.

- Books are hodgepodged. A book might have a theme, and a slant towards a certain type of material. But ultimately they release only 1 non-adventure book per year (maybe 2 in 2018), so it's inevitable that they will always have players' stuff that DMs don't need, and DM's stuff that players don't need. They probably won't double the release schedule, and they certainly won't leave 2 years between releasing a book that a DM or a player would buy. They also don't really plan books, but rather collect scattered ideas all the time through UA, and then figure out a possible theme.

- The AL rule of "PHB+1" is going to stay, unless there is a change in management or there is a crisis with the popularity of AL. Just deal with the rule if you want to play AL, and remember that just as it could have been "PHB+2" it could have also been "PHB only". Anyway, due to the reprinting practice, I wouldn't be surprised if one day they release a "Best of 5e" book to effectively break the PHB+1 rule without formally dropping it.

Zardnaar

Legend
Not a fan of the Elf stuff. Throws out some of the older lore but even worse the new lore is kinda terrible. And other parts are heavily recycled from 3E, some of it may be 4E IDK skipped most of that. Its kinda lie 20% fluff from SCAG stapled to a MM. Kinda read the Elf and Drow stuff but still reading.

Either way the books not great, may as well be an out and out MM2 or Planescape MC.

Gut feeling I think I liked Volos GtM better. This book mostly DM type stuff so even SCAG might look good by comparison IDK depends on what you wanted.

Last edited by a moderator:

CapnZapp

Legend
This is my problem with the book, too. It's like each of the non-adventure books is a compilation of whatever material the creators have at the time.

Each book is less than the sum of its parts and results in a book that's less than it could be. A book that combines all the monsters into one book would be phenomenal. All the player stuff in one book would be a great PHB 2. Instead, we get books I don't purchase (except for Volo's, because I had store credit and the store was going out of business).
WotC is making everything they can to cram everything into every book: player's options, campaign material, and monsters.

The idea is that a PHB2 would not sell to DMs, and a MM2 not to players. Amounting to lower sales.

As long as us customers buy *everything* regardless of how low ratio we get, WotC has little reason to change.

Remove ads

Remove ads