Opinion: better or worse encounter format?

Rugult

On Call GM
Awesome! Really appreciate it :)

The plan is to start on Digging for Lies in the next week or so. RangerWickett's away on vacation for a few days, but once he's back I will talk to him about this and see what we can do with the Adventure 3 draft.

If anyone else has thoughts on this, please let us know!

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Perhaps other people have suggestions/thoughts on this? Would anyone here explode in rage if we started giving level-based NPCs some wacky abilities to spice up encounters that aren't necessarily found in the core rules?

In the reviews and comments on the Pathfinder side, it does appear that Pathfinder folks aren't keen when we try to do anything clever with it. Not sure why that is (heck, remember we were criticised for some of the basic world-defining elements regarding flight and such?)

Cheezmo Miner

80's DungeonMaster
Well I wouldn't say I'd fly into a rage but, yeah, NPCs and PCs gotta play by the same rules in Pathfinder. It's the whole reason I choose to play Pathfinder instead of 4E, because the underlying "physics" of the game is the same on both sides of the screen. If an NPC doesn't seem to be playing by the rules, I have to remake said NPC. I already have to do this for a few guys in adventure 2.

For example (spoilertastic):
Danisca doesn't need a unique class ability, just some additional substances she can attack with in addition to bombs. If Recklinghausen isn't going to use bombs and you want him to have sneak attack, well, he screams for the vivisectionist archetype as it is. And McBannin as a witch without a familiar breaks the class's defining feature. So I'll give him a familiar or just make him a different class.

As far as encounter format? I can go either way with the battle set-up being in the appendix or alongside the description. As long as it's consistent.

Last edited:

N'raac

First Post
The original thought on the PF version was to keep it fairly streamlined in terms of rules, so that it kept most of the 4e NPCs intact, but stayed close to Pathfinder rules for what creatures could do. This meant removing a lot of the wacky abilities that can be put into any NPC/Monster in 4e and generally reserving it for monsters/special NPCs in the PF version.

One of the big problems (especially in lower level adventures like the ones we have now) is that 4e style abilities that translate to grappling/bull rushing are difficult to work in to NPCs, who need a variety of feats / equipment to properly pull off. This turns our NPCs into one-trick ponies, where the 4e version may have 3-4 'cool things' the NPC can do.

If more people are interested in seeing more 4e style uniqueness with monsters/NPCs in the PF version, I know I can work that into the adventures! Our concern up until now has been the reaction from hardline PF players who might not like the 'everything is special' approach that tends to come from 4e.

Perhaps other people have suggestions/thoughts on this? Would anyone here explode in rage if we started giving level-based NPCs some wacky abilities to spice up encounters that aren't necessarily found in the core rules? Or, would you prefer if unique abilities were reserved only for the really important NPCs / specialty monsters?

Well I wouldn't say I'd fly into a rage but, yeah, NPCs and PCs gotta play by the same rules in Pathfinder.

OK, I'm at a bit of a disadvantage in not reading the spoilers as I plan on playing in Zeitgeist. My view probably parallels Cheezmo's - we all play by the same rules. Unusual creatures/monsters sometimes get abilities that PC's don't have access to, and that might even extend to some very special NPC's (likely ones that have somehow gone beyond the "Mere Mortal PC Race).

If it takes a four feat chain for a PC to accomplish a specific result, the NPC should not be granted extra feats nor given a "special feat" to accomplish it. But, with that said, I see a few options for adding unusual abilities:

- perhaps this is a variant class archetype, so the character gives up some abilities he would normally have to gain access to other abilities. Especially for one off encounters, the NPC may have an array of class features that aren't as useful in the role he plays in the scenario, and can give up a lot of abilities a player would be reluctant to sacrifice in order to gain the abilities specially suited to this encounter. I wouldn't want to see a ton of this, but the GM gets the out to indicate, say, "Yeah, your rogue could do that too if he sacrificed 6 skill points per level and the ability to use Sneak Attack in melee to take this archetype". A racial variant could also work.

- more relevant at higher levels, maybe it's a prestige class (and one that's hard to qualify for), similarly sacrificing some class abilities for others.

- maybe it has some unsavoury requirements. There's a witch hex in Ultimate Magic that has some very powerful effects, but requires cooking and eating an intelligent creature, cited as "always an evil act". Maybe a special ability of a Fey servant, or a specific PRC, requires swearing absolute loyalty to the Fey, or slows your learning process so you only gain half the xp of your teammates/only advance in level half as quickly (OK, that one is extreme enough to be the same as saying "no PC may take this ability").

-maybe it's a new feat (or even chain). Third party publishers can publish these, I believe.

- Perhaps any of these could be tagged as being unique to the Zeitgeist setting (sure, GM's can still allow them to be 'ported, but it's not mandatory).

- maybe the ability comes from a Theme Feat not available to Risurians. Do all major NPC's have, and use, a Zeitgeist Theme feat at present?

I'd avoid going hog wild with this - to paraphrase Cheezmo in a less politically sensitive manner, if we wanted to play 4e, most of us would play 4e. We're playing Pathfinder.

I get the logic behind saying PCs and NPCs should use the same rules, but the rationale is not "Ha ha, look at all this stuff we're letting bad guys do that PCs can't." It's, "Hey, I have a fun idea for an adventure, but I don't have the time to write a whole rules supplement to justify a few different options."

If you need an explanation for how it's possible, that's easy: Rule Zero. The NPC asked his GM, "Hey, can I use a weird suite of powers that would be fun for the players to encounter?" And the GM said, "Sure."

Plus, it's a well known fact that PCs and NPCs shouldn't play by the same rules. Level Adjustment for a PC troll is huge, whereas an NPC troll with some class levels has a much lower CR.

Then again, if the feedback we get is that the majority of PF players value 'following the rules' over 'having unique scenarios,' we'll follow the rules. Unfortunately the budget of money and personal time keeps us from writing full rules to justify the stuff we want to put in the adventures.

N'raac

First Post
Then again, if the feedback we get is that the majority of PF players value 'following the rules' over 'having unique scenarios,' we'll follow the rules. Unfortunately the budget of money and personal time keeps us from writing full rules to justify the stuff we want to put in the adventures.

I doubt that particular phrasing is any more fair a statement of anyone's position than suggesting some GM's 'value the story they're telling' over 'keeping things fair for the players', or even that he reserves the cool stuff for his favoured NPC's'.

I don't think it is unfair for players to say "hey, that NPC Ranger can do some really cool stuf- how does MY ranger get to do that?" and expect an answer other than "he can't - only an NPC gets to do that!". The answer for making the character a Troll is "He can - at this cost".

Not every ability of the opposition need be something the PC's can duplicate (how many can dissolve metal like a Black Pudding?), much less accomplish at their level (1 against 4 to 6 is hardly fair unless the '1' gets some advantage) or can accomplish easily (maybe that ability requires 4 Monk levels and an unbending devotion to the Rightful Ruler of Ber - lose that devotion and, just like an evil Paladin, you lose the ability - or maybe it comes from a Theme Feat only available to those loyal to Chryssiller - since this game focuses on Risur, you can't have it, so the full rules aren't really that important).

I don't expect the abilities the NPC's or adversaries have are overpowered for their own level, even if the precise rule must sometimes be left as an exercise for the reader (or even fodder for a future publication - maybe a Zeitgeist sequel or prequel set in Ber or Chryssiler).

At the same time, if a Wizard wants to research a spell to allow a party member to match that ability, whether for one encounter or for one action, and the answer is that it's a 7th level spell for you but possessed by a L2 opponent, that L2 opponent seems like he might be unreasonably overpowered.

Cheezmo Miner

80's DungeonMaster

I doubt that particular phrasing is any more fair a statement of anyone's position than suggesting some GM's 'value the story they're telling' over 'keeping things fair for the players', or even that he reserves the cool stuff for his favoured NPC's'.

This. I have to say that some of the language being used here to describe us Pathfinder people is a little disconcerting. We're "hardliners" who might "fly into a rage" if the creative staff adds weird stuff to NPCs.

I truly appreciate the talent and creativity at work in this endeavor, obviously, or I wouldn't have invested the time and effort (and a few bucks so far) I have in signing on for the AP and getting a group of players together for it. So please try to understand we're not telling you: "don't be creative" or "don't be interesting."

And I also appreciate you taking the time to convert your work to Pathfinder. Thank you. It seems that you guys prefer 4E, so you could have easily left us Pathfinder grognards out in the cold.

That said, all I'm saying is that my preference is that a conversion to Pathfinder to be a conversion to Pathfinder. Whether or not anybody thinks the unique NPC abilities are fair, or game-breaking, or really really neat is irrelevant, because the abilities don't exist as part of the Pathfinder ruleset, or are outside its established perimeters.

Wouldn't a simple, "please everyone" solution be to include the abilities as an optional replacements for the standard abilities? Then you can show off these neat things you invented to spice up encounters while allowing GMs the option to use standard versions of the NPCs out of the box.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
This. I have to say that some of the language being used here to describe us Pathfinder people is a little disconcerting. We're "hardliners" who might "fly into a rage" if the creative staff adds weird stuff to NPCs.

To be fair, those terms were folks describing themselves. Nobody's calling anyone else names, I'm glad to say. :)

N'raac

First Post
That said, all I'm saying is that my preference is that a conversion to Pathfinder to be a conversion to Pathfinder. Whether or not anybody thinks the unique NPC abilities are fair, or game-breaking, or really really neat is irrelevant, because the abilities don't exist as part of the Pathfinder ruleset, or are outside its established perimeters.

Wouldn't a simple, "please everyone" solution be to include the abilities as an optional replacements for the standard abilities? Then you can show off these neat things you invented to spice up encounters while allowing GMs the option to use standard versions of the NPCs out of the box.

Seems reasonable, except that it requires the time investment discussed above to integrate the abilities into the Pathfinder rule set. That said, I suspect most NPC's (especially one off encounters - not the long term ones) will have class abilities they never need or use. Making their abilities an alternate archetype may make a lot of sense.

Other opponents, though, may well be unique. I don't see a need for PC's to be able to duplicate the Fey abilities of the Unseen Court, or their followers, without becoming Fey themselves. Just like PC's typically don't come from the ranks of the Demons, Dinosaurs or Undead, and don't have access to the same abilities those entities have.

Cheezmo Miner

80's DungeonMaster
Seems reasonable, except that it requires the time investment discussed above to integrate the abilities into the Pathfinder rule set.

Does it, though? They already have the basic text of what these abilities do in 4E. My impression, which may be only that, as the authors want the freedom to put in these 4E-style, unique NPC abilities without justifying them according to the Pathfinder rules. I'd be fine with this, as long as it was clear which arbitrary abilities were ported from 4E and what standard abilities they replace, if any.

I'd like to say that Dying Skyseer does a good job of this, pointing out the wonky abilities that I can easily switch with standard ones by rebuilding the offender in Hero Lab. Even so, I would prefer a strait conversion.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases