Opinions on Prepared for Anything

darkbard

Legend
Neither LDB nor Zelink rated the Warlord Heroic tier feat "Prepared for Anything" (DR 381) in their guides. Is this simply an oversight? Or does the limited utility (the AC bonus lasts only until the end of allies' first turn in an encounter, not the full first round, when the goal is to try to get the drop on as many as Team Monster as possible) not warrant at least a black rating? I would think the feat rates a dark blue or black.

MwaO

Adventurer
I would likely consider that Red, maybe Purple-Reddish in Heroic. Not all monsters attack AC, it only lasts until the PC goes, and the PC most likely most in need of an AC boost is the one who already went and moved up to Team Monster.

And given you have Combat Leader, that means your group is unlikely to benefit. Especially in Paragon+ when you likely have Combat Commander.

darkbard

Legend
Oh, I certainly see the limitations of the feat. And certainly a feat that is only situational certainly gets pinged on its rating some. But since its benefit applies before combat begins (i.e., at initiative roll), isn't it a pretty good safety valve for those encounters when some of Team Monster gets the initiative jump on Team PC? Especially since the AC benefit applies to the whole party (until the end of each PC's turn)? But yes, I can definitely see this losing steam somewhat after Heroic tier, when many monsters have attacks that target Defenses beyond AC.

MwaO

Adventurer
Oh, I certainly see the limitations of the feat. And certainly a feat that is only situational certainly gets pinged on its rating some. But since its benefit applies before combat begins (i.e., at initiative roll), isn't it a pretty good safety valve for those encounters when some of Team Monster gets the initiative jump on Team PC? Especially since the AC benefit applies to the whole party (until the end of each PC's turn)?

I think maybe you get an extra miss every 7-8 combats with such an option given the Warlord boosts initiative. Doesn't seem worth it. Maybe if your DM is constantly surprising you, it makes sense then.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases