Order of the Stick 700!

jeffh

Adventurer
Okay, for the first time in a long time, I don't understand the title. I get that the titles are often sarcastic replies to something said in the last panel, but who are the "both" it's referring to? "She would likely disagree with both those sentiments" makes more sense to me, though it still doesn't quite fit. Anyone got any ideas?

Vael

Legend
Spoilers for "Start of Darkness," the prequel for Team Evil:

[sblock]In "Start of Darkness," it was revealed that Redcloak's ritual to "control" the Gates doesn't in fact grant control to the ritual casters. What little control it provides is given to the Dark One, the goblin god, and consists of not much more than choosing what plane and general area the rift appears in; so, for instance, he could dump it into some other god's throne room.

The Dark One's plan is to use the threat of the Snarl to blackmail the other gods into re-evaluating goblins' place in the multiverse... at least, that's what Redcloak believes. (Whether this is actually true remains up for debate.) Meanwhile, the casters of the ritual have a good chance of ending up dead for their trouble.

Of course, Xykon was never interested in making life better for goblins, and Redcloak knew that, so he lied to Xykon and told him that the ritual would enable him to control the Snarl. Being something less than an expert in arcane theory, Xykon bought it and has been operating under that assumption this whole time. If Tsukiko figures out the ritual and tells him the truth... ain't gonna be pretty. Though Xykon might just sit on the information until Team Evil actually gets hold of a Gate.

(Another fun fact about the ritual: It requires both an arcane and a divine caster to perform, which is why Redcloak needed Xykon to begin with. Tsukiko presumably qualifies to do it all by herself. Are we about to see another player angling for control of the Gates?)[/sblock]

... That's it, I'm getting Start of Darkness and On the Origin of the PCs. I'd held off, but that's just too awesome for words.

... That's it, I'm getting Start of Darkness and On the Origin of the PCs. I'd held off, but that's just too awesome for words.

Start of Darkness is a must read IMO. The strip is referencing events from that book more and more. It also has an amazing ending that I totally won't spoil.

Moon_Goddess

Have I really been on this site for over 20 years!
The ending of Start of Darkness is simple amazing, if you havn't read it like go to the store now.

It will completely change how you look at some of the characters.

Quartz

Hero
Spoilers for "Start of Darkness," the prequel for Team Evil:

[sblock]In "Start of Darkness," it was revealed that Redcloak's ritual to "control" the Gates doesn't in fact grant control to the ritual casters. What little control it provides is given to the Dark One, the goblin god, and consists of not much more than choosing what plane and general area the rift appears in; so, for instance, he could dump it into some other god's throne room.

The Dark One's plan is to use the threat of the Snarl to blackmail the other gods into re-evaluating goblins' place in the multiverse... at least, that's what Redcloak believes. (Whether this is actually true remains up for debate.) Meanwhile, the casters of the ritual have a good chance of ending up dead for their trouble.

Of course, Xykon was never interested in making life better for goblins, and Redcloak knew that, so he lied to Xykon and told him that the ritual would enable him to control the Snarl. Being something less than an expert in arcane theory, Xykon bought it and has been operating under that assumption this whole time. If Tsukiko figures out the ritual and tells him the truth... ain't gonna be pretty. Though Xykon might just sit on the information until Team Evil actually gets hold of a Gate.

(Another fun fact about the ritual: It requires both an arcane and a divine caster to perform, which is why Redcloak needed Xykon to begin with. Tsukiko presumably qualifies to do it all by herself. Are we about to see another player angling for control of the Gates?)[/sblock]

Ooh!

coyote6

Adventurer
Okay, for the first time in a long time, I don't understand the title. I get that the titles are often sarcastic replies to something said in the last panel, but who are the "both" it's referring to? "She would likely disagree with both those sentiments" makes more sense to me, though it still doesn't quite fit. Anyone got any ideas?

I think "the sentiment" is that "she's not that bad"; the "both" are the undead guy with the bandana and the head he's munching on. Bandana was one of the resistance fighters in Azure City(living here, undead here, destroyed here -- Tsukiko must have a spell to "raise" the undead), and the head -- not sure who that was, but I'm pretty sure he or she also wouldn't agree. :)

Remove ads