Origins of D&D monsters

Echohawk

Shirokinukatsukami fan
You don't happen to know the story there, do you? Your spreadsheet shows that it's a Fiend Folio (1981) monster, so I don't even know who designed it, let alone why. Of course everyone figures they needed a LG creature, but anything beyond that? (Or even corroboration on that point?)
According to the Fiend Folio credits, Ian McDowall and Douglas Naismith are to blame for the flumph. But alas, I don't know anything more about the origins of the poor critter beyond that :(

diaglo

Adventurer
According to the Fiend Folio credits, Ian McDowall and Douglas Naismith are to blame for the flumph. But alas, I don't know anything more about the origins of the poor critter beyond that :(

a good number/large portion of the fiend folio first appeared in White Dwarf

Huw

First Post
Yes, I understand that most of the FF were either published in or submissions to WD.

Also from Underworld Oracle. The gibberling and death dog are from there, maybe others (I've only got one issue).

As an aside, I had some thoughts about slaad. Has it occurred to anyone else that they could easily be kappa, from Japanese mythology?

Echohawk

Shirokinukatsukami fan
Yes, the slaadi first appeared in the FF, and are credited to Charles Stross. But... you already have some excerpts from Charles about the slaadi on your origins page ;)

Remove ads