Origins: Questions and Who's Going?

Perram

Explorer
I would really like to go, but I'm not sure if it will be in the cards for me this year. I may need to settle for GenCon alone. :(

Rechan

Adventurer
I don't know about Gen Con. At Origins there is an organization that you can buy a ribbon to have access to. They have a ton of games and people there to play. It was a little less open for new people, the guys there all know each other and not always looking to play or teach new people.
I have several board/card games I'd like to bring, in order to play. So, at least they dont' have to teach new people. :p

One of the biggest motivations is going because Evil Hat is going to have a decent presence there - so the opportunity to play SotC/DFRPG/Penny For Your Thoughts would be very much the incentive (that and picking up my copy of the DFRPG!).

What's the skinny on the best hotel to stay? Connected to the convention center? Amenities such as? How is the attendance compared to Gencon and the layout (easy to get around)? Thanks.
These questions are of interest to me. I don't have a car, so hotels close by would be a good rundown; the site doesn't really mention which hotels are CLOSE.

Is attendance anywhere close to DragonCon (22k), or is it smaller? Wiki says it's the "Second biggest gaming con".

Crothian

First Post
What's the skinny on the best hotel to stay? Connected to the convention center? Amenities such as? How is the attendance compared to Gencon and the layout (easy to get around)? Thanks.

I stay at Hotel Crothian. Sure, the I need to drive into the convention daily, but sleeping in my own bed is worth it. Plus, it's cheap! :D

There are a few within walking distance, but I've never stayed in any of them for obvious reasons. The attendance is less then Gen Con, it still is huge but nothing is as big as Gen Con in RPG cons in the US. I think the food selection is a bit better n Columbus though we have no place like the Ram that has completely embraced the con. Of course we also have had nothing like Steak and Shake that gave up that one year and was just not ready for the people.

I find the Columbus Convention Center easier to get around. There are not a lot of twisting hallways or games set up all over the place in hotels and other buildings. Origins is in the Convention center and the hotel directly attached to it. That''s it.

One thing I have also noticed is the bathrooms at Origins are both more plentiful and none of them have been gross. It's uncommon at Gen Con but I have walked into some of theirs and then promptly walked out and looked for another one.

Crothian

First Post
Is attendance anywhere close to DragonCon (22k), or is it smaller? Wiki says it's the "Second biggest gaming con".

I've never seen official numbers, everything I hear is from people that heard it from someone that heard it from someone. But the numbers I hear at around 25k-27k.

PoeticJustice

First Post
I don't know about Gen Con. At Origins there is an organization that you can buy a ribbon to have access to. They have a ton of games and people there to play. It was a little less open for new people, the guys there all know each other and not always looking to play or teach new people.

I beg to differ! Simply put up a boxtop and gamers will show up to play you. Heck, if you see a guy wearing a badge that says Tom Liles (that's me), just introduce yourself and tell me what we're going to play.

Also, Jay Tummelson (Pres. of RGG) just walks around and plays Dominion with people during the con. How cool is it that you can play board games with the guy who publishes them!

Re: hotels. There Are two primary concerns here: distance and price. If you don't mind getting less sleep and paying to park, you can get a hotel room on the outskirts for about 60 bucks a night for a double. On the other end of the spectrum, you can get a hotel room within walking distance to the con, but it will run you between 90-150 a night. Book early if you're going to stay close, because they fill up long (as in months, I believe) before the con starts.

Oh, and here's some advice I have from that's kind of unrelated: don't preregister for more than an event or two. You're going to see so much that you'll want to do and meet some really cool people. Preregistering for a bunch of events makes the con feel like being in High School (I have Chem...I mean 7th Sea at 10 p.m., can I meet up with you after? Oh, you have English until 3? When's your lunch period?). Be flexible.

Gosh, I've got so much more I could write. Origins really is my favorite part of summer. Bring your favorite game and a module or two you could run in the breezeway. Otherwise, don't pack the car full--you'll need the space later. Don't waste time eating out dinner in Columbus unless it's at a Steak n' Shake. If you need refreshments, remember they sell vodka in the grocery stores. If you travel through Western PA on your way to or from the con, don't go looking for Kennywood no matter what. If the Battletech guys show up, ask them if there are any mech models available that they aren't advertising in their lit. Buckeye Donuts on high st. is a delicious and affordable breakfast. White Castle is not all it's cracked up to be. Neither is the Battletech tournament.

Play Dread with the guys at Windmill games. Oh God, do yourself a favor and play Dread with the guys at Windmill games.

The House of Babes actually IS a repurposed Fast Food restaurant, and to our chagrin we find it would be much better suited were it still a fast food restaurant.

Whew. So much fun.

The Red Roof Inn is much cheaper and is not too much farther from the con. Hyatt is attached, but Red Roof is like 1/2 a block from the con.

Another lodging option is Drury Inn Suites. It's attached to the con's food court. I'm not sure what their prices are like. The three closest hotels to the con are Drury, Hyatt, and Red Roof.

Last edited:

Rechan

Adventurer
There's a list of hotel prices on the Origin site:

Red Roof: $113/night
Drury: $125/night.
Hyatt: No prices listed (guess it's full or something).

What I find particularly vexing: The Origins site has no forum! So you can't setup a "Hey let's share a room!" "Hey let's share a drive up!'

Also: 25K?! I recall Dragoncon had somehwere around 22K and I found that very smothering. Is Origins very... crowded, in terms of space (dealer's room is hard to move through, gathering places constantly choked)?

Crothian

First Post
Also: 25K?! I recall Dragoncon had somehwere around 22K and I found that very smothering. Is Origins very... crowded, in terms of space (dealer's room is hard to move through, gathering places constantly choked)?

Dealer's room has been less and less crowded each year. Many of the big names no longer go to Origins which has made the hall more open and bare.

There are some places that will be crowded but for the most part I don't notice the crowds.

PoeticJustice

First Post
Dealer's room has been less and less crowded each year. Many of the big names no longer go to Origins which has made the hall more open and bare.

There are some places that will be crowded but for the most part I don't notice the crowds.

In general, this is true. As far as big names go, Wotc has no booth that I know of. On the other hand. Geekchic (They of the really fancy gaming tables) has a pretty big set up. Dragonfire Signs has a great storefront with some things they don't even advertise online. Last year Origins was the first place one could buy the latest Race for the Galaxy and Dominion expansions. There's also lots of boffer space, if that's your thing.

Don't get me wrong--Origins's Dealer room is not as impressive as GenCon's and doesn't have the marquee releases and such that the other does, but it's still great to walk around. Lots of great deals. People aren't as busy and consequently will talk with you about what they sell.

Remove ads