OSR OSRIC Versions?

I'm considering purchasing the OSRIC and MoM manuals. Based on the copyright dates on the 2.2 manual (2008), and MoM (2006) I downloaded from Lulu, the current versions are a few years old. Before I go purchasing the books, I'd like to know if there are any newer versions due to be released any time in the near future?

DMKastmaria

First Post
I'm considering purchasing the OSRIC and MoM manuals. Based on the copyright dates on the 2.2 manual (2008), and MoM (2006) I downloaded from Lulu, the current versions are a few years old. Before I go purchasing the books, I'd like to know if there are any newer versions due to be released any time in the near future?

The 2nd printing of the Black Blade imprint is the latest version of OSRIC. It's also much nicer than the Lulu version and only costs about .50 cents more.

http://www.black-blade-publishing.com

I believe Noble Knight still has copies of this as well.

The 2nd printing of the Black Blade imprint is the latest version of OSRIC. It's also much nicer than the Lulu version and only costs about .50 cents more.

http://www.black-blade-publishing.com

I believe Noble Knight still has copies of this as well.
Yeah, that's what I'd heard, and was planning.

But I was really asking if there was a newer version than 2.2 on the horizon. It would be my luck that I'd buy a book, only to find 2.3 released within a month.

Treebore

First Post
Yeah, that's what I'd heard, and was planning.

But I was really asking if there was a newer version than 2.2 on the horizon. It would be my luck that I'd buy a book, only to find 2.3 released within a month.

I am pretty sure they were done with all major errata. So from now on anything would just be minor spelling corrections that hadn't already been caught, etc...

winemaker81

First Post
To be best of my knowledge no further editions of OSRIC 2.x are planned, other than possible minor errata. IIRC Stuart Marshall (chief editor) stated a while back that he's not planning any type of major release. He posts here (PapersAndPaychecks) and can comment further.

I have the Black Blade prints. They are beautiful!!!

They are on the shelf next to my AD&D reprints ... I use my original AD&D books and a 3-hole punched copy of OSRIC on my table ... ;-)

grodog

Hero
We printed quite a few of the OSRIC 2.2 2nd printing books, and will not be reprinting them again in the near-term. (We also still have OSRIC 2.2 first printing books available, at $5 off---we'll provide the errata and other changes from the 1st and 2nd printings, if you'd like to save a few bucks too). You can order either from our store @ http://black-blade-publishing.com/Store.aspx

Stormonu

Legend
Question: compared to the AD&D rulebooks, is there an advantage to having/using OSRIC? Does OSRIC include material from UA, FF, MM2 and so on?

Ferghis

First Post
Question: compared to the AD&D rulebooks, is there an advantage to having/using OSRIC?
I'm sure others will know better than I do, although they might not answer this one. The organization of the rules is a dramatic advantage: the ability to find all the rules you might be looking for, if you don't know them, is what makes a game an actually playable game. Also, a lot of the contradictions and confusing rules have been cleared up. Even if you have the old books, it's worth having it just to figure out some of the details.

trancejeremy

Adventurer
I think the only thing from UA (including classes and spells and items) included is weapon specialization for fighters. Which is somewhat controversial, since many consider it overpowered (double specialization at least). Don't think it has any additional monsters from FF/MM2, even those in the SRD, but I could be wrong

Creatures from the OSRIC core rules that originally appeared in the 1e Fiend Folio: Flind, Grimlock, Troll, Giant, Troll, Giant Two-Headed, Troll, Ice, Troll, Spectral, Coffer Corpse, Poltergeist, Bat, Mobat, Achaierai, Al-Mi'raj, Amber Creeping Vine (which is a name-variation of the OGC Yellow Musk Creeper), Babbler, Blindheim, Carbuncle, Caryatid Column, Caterwaul, Crabman, Crypt Thing, Dakon, Dark Creeper, Disenchanter, Ettercap, Mephit, Necrophidius, Nilbog, Skeleton Warrior, Stunjelly, Volt.

Creatures from the OSRIC core rules that originally appeared in the 1e Monster Manual 2: Quickling, Zombie, Juju, Annis, Aurumvorax, Barghest, Bee, Giant, Behir, Dracolisk, Executioner's Hood, Kraken, Mongrelman, Nereid, Phantom, Phoenix, Squealer, Vilstrak, Vulchling.

It's far from the complete list, of course. Some things are not OGC and not in the Tome of Horrors; some are too lame to include (I will never write up the flumph for OSRIC!); some I just couldn't cram into OSRIC's 400 pages and I'll release in future optional expansions (e.g. Azer); and some got completely replaced (e.g. the AD&D dinosaurs are based on science that was dodgy even in the 1970s, so I completely rewrote them for an audience that's seen Jurassic Park).

Remove ads