[OT] 3d graphics software

Frostmarrow

First Post
Drawing upon the vast knowledge of the EN-Boarders, I'd like to know if there is a good 3d graphics program out there. What I need is a program that can turn a 2d map into a 3d version of the same map (isometric view perhaps). Assume that I draw the first map in with vector graphic, ie not CAD. Can anyone help me?

rigur

First Post
3D STUDIO MAX would be my suggestion. You can use your 2-D map as floor(pasted on a 3D object) and then add 3D objects like walls and staircases etc.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
If money is an issue, cheaper 3D software like Truespace by Caligari might be a better bet. There is some freeware and shareware 3D software but they tend to have IMO impenetrable interfaces - but you may fare better. Moray and Blender spring to mind.

Another high-end option is Lightwave (they used to have a cut-down more affordable version called Inspire, but I think that is discontinued)

It might also be worth looking at some 3D CAD programs.

(n.b. a plan drawn in a vector program can be turned into a nice isometric view with a bit of cunning co-ordinate translation)

Cheers

DMaple

First Post
I believe 3D Studio Max comes in at the bargin price of around £3166 pounds which is probably a little more than most people want to spend on something to draw the odd map for a hobby.

Anthron

First Post
You could not have picked a better time to want something like this. Alias Wavefront (creators of the already mentioned Maya) are come out with a free personal learning edition of Maya some time this month.

You can sign up on there mailing list here:

Free Maya

Remove ads