• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[ot] anime suggestions for those who dislike anime

jollyninja

First Post
the only anime movie that i have seen and liked is "fist of the north star". guy punches people, they explode a few seconds later, nuff said. i can't even put a finger on why i liked it and dislike other anime.

Kichwas

Half-breed, still living despite WotC racism
I would suggest Lain.

It's the best cyberpunk / matrix genre film I've ever seen. Very cerebrial (sp?) though.

Anyone who's a fan of dark futures, technology, deep mysteries, or questions on the nature of reality should watch Lain. Regardless of your opinions of animation.

Cowboy Beebop seems to be popular with at least one anti-anime person I know; but when I watch it the show just looks like Dirty Pair but with only one hot chick. :D

PenguinKing

First Post
arcady said:
Cowboy Beebop seems to be popular with at least one anti-anime person I know; but when I watch it the show just looks like Dirty Pair but with only one hot chick. :D
That's pretty much an accurate summary, during the episodic instalments. Th' story arc episodes are a bit different in tone. ;)

(I think that's all of the first two and last three episodes of the series, with maybe a couple others scattered here and there throughout the run, tho' - to be honest, most of it is episodic.)

- Sir Bob.

Last edited:

Isawa Sideshow

First Post
PenguinKing said:
That's pretty much an accurate summary, during the episodic instalments. Th' story arc episodes are a bit different in tone. ;)

(I think that's all of the first two and last three episodes of the series, with maybe a couple others scattered here and there throughout the run, tho' - to be honest, most of it is episodic.)

- Sir Bob.

Not as episodic as you might think, if you look at each character's personal storylines.

Spike: Episodes 5, 12, 13, 25, and 26
Faye: Episodes 3, 15, 18, and 24
Jet: Episodes 10 and 16
Ed: Episodes 9 and 24

So, overall, that's 12 episodes - just under half the series - where the characters' plots are involved. Spike's and Faye's are obviously the strongest plots, but it's interesting to find out more about Jet's and Ed's pasts. If you add in the first episode (to set the stage), that's 13.

Yes, the other half of the series is very episodic, but hey, it's all good.

Vuron

First Post
For those who haven't experienced hentai anime check out

Urotsukidoji: Legend of the Overfiend
La Blue Girl
anything by Go Nagai

Tentacles are fun ;)

Warrior Psychic

First Post
I detest most anime, however I am obsessed with Cowboy Bebop. The voice acting is steller compared to most anime, and the entire series has a very noir, maudlin air to it. It is the most stylish anime I have ever seen.

Feliath

First Post
I'll put up a vote for the Castle of Cagliostro . That movie is one of the most hilarious I've ever seen, and it goes pretty light on some of the style conventions (i.e. big eyes).
It has it all! Little pink cars momentarily defying gravity, for instance!
If I recall correctly, there are two dubs of this one. One's better by far, although I'll be durned if I can figure out who made it.

/Feliath - Cagliotastic!

Jackcarter

First Post
A lot of good suggestions here. I agree with many choices while disagreeing others, but let me put forth more cogent list of recommendations. Not that the others are wrong, but because I wish to give some weight to my recommendations.

The following animes were all reviewed and then given rave reviews by mainstream critics, including not but exclusively, such as Ebert & Siskel, Ebert & Roper, New York Times, LA Times, Boston Globe, Seattle PI, Time, and others.

Akira, Jin-Roh, Princess Mononoke, and Metropolis.

Akira started the interest in anime and still remains a masterpiece of the medium. I'm sure you've all heard of it, so no real need to explain here. It suffices to say, whether you find it pretentious or not, that it is very highly thought of by critics, even those normally hostile towards anime.

Jin-Roh is a true cinematic tour de force--a modern masterpiece. A morality play that faithfully follows the Grimm brothers' Little Red Riding Hood, critics who've seen it have said that it best embodies both the possibilities and the limitations of the medium. It can do things with the palette, atmosphere that would be impossible with live-action, yet at the same time, the story suffers because the nuances of characterization needed for the two central characters are sadly found to be deficient vis-a-vis live actors. Jinroh is a character-driven story and needs something of Oscar-caliber performances from its main characters to complete it,w hich animation fails to deliver.

Princess Mononoke is another highly rated film; some critics have said that it was the best film of the year. It's probably the most Disneyesque of anime films you're likely to find, unless Disney decides to release more of Ghbli films. Others have explained it in previous threads, so just check it out.

Metropolis, I have not seen yet, but most critics gave it a high mark. Its main selling point seems to be its gorgeous imagery and visual brilliance.

I did not include Vampire Hunter D Bloodlust, Wicked City, Ghost in the Shell, or X because all of these films were critically panned. Out of these, X got the worst grade, followed closely by Vampire Hunter D.

It's unfortunate that the mainstream critics do not review anime series, as there are many worthy shows out there. I know that at least Ebert is very knowledgeable about anime, and I'm pretty sure there are few others who are familiar as well. Sadly, none, not even Ebert, has chosen to review them.

There is one instance of mainstream evaluation of anime series that I know of. Few years back, Time had a special on anime and did a number of capsule reviews on different series. Here are some that I remember as having positive reviews.

Ranma 1/2, the original Mobile Suit Gundam, Serial Experiments Lain, and... Can't remember if Tenchi or Sailor Moon got positive reviews, but I'm pretty sure that they were reviewed.

Well, I'll plug some great Anime.

1. Cowboy Bebop, great action, great style, great characters. The movie which I've see, will blow you away. Additionally, the setting of the show is brilliant.

2. The Vision of Escaflowne, Mecha in a mideval time frame, the story is one great epic, (unlike Bebop) solid characters, and a great Date anime.

3. Macross Plus, this is what Top Gun wished it could be. Three complex characters, truly great music, cool jet fighting scenes.

Now a question, what do these three anime's have in common?
Three kudos to whoever gets it right.

Some other good stuff to keep an eye on
Miyazaki Movies
- Princess Mononoke
- Castle of Cagliostro
- Kiki's Delivery Service
- Nausicaa Valley of the Wind

If you liked Bebop, three other space westerns came out in '98 that you may like
- Trigun - light hearted first half, serious the second
- Outlaw Star - just a good fun
- Eatman 98 - strange show, the main character say about 10 lines entire show

The flawed masterpiece which sparked a lot of the titles listed above
Neon Genesis Evangelion
- people have noted that the end sucks, well the movie ending is worse. After watching both, I would say the TV ending is actually really good.

If you liked Eva, you may like
Gasaraki

Comedy
Tenchi Moyu (the first 2 OAVs, the two series aren't anything special)
Photon (made by the Tenchi people, very funny)
GTO (kind of an off beat anime, follows a 20 something ex-biker teacher)
Martian Successor Nadesico
- great paradoy of a lot of modern anime, but it has a real bite to it at certian points.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads