• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[OT] Bah Weep Granna Meep Ninni-bon!

Dark Eternal

First Post
So just out of curiosity, since someone brought up the subject of languages...

How many of you use real-world knowledge of multiple languages to amplify the different langagues in your games?

And how many of you use completely made up language to do the same thing?

And do you think that trying to use made up languages is cheesy?

I know this isn't completely off topic, but with a thread title like this, it's probably going to be sooner rather than later.....

If you do use made up words or languages, how realistic are they? And would you post a sample (with a translation) for the ENworlders to see?

barsoomcore

Unattainable Ideal
I don't think using made-up languages is cheesy, though I don't do it myself. I do try to make the names I use make sense for whatever language they're in. And on Barsoom, it has turned out that the history of various languages is kind of important (a campaign that features historical linguistics! do I know how to have fun or WHAT?) so I try to follow basic rules of how languages transform into other languages...

I have used no Japanese in Barsoom, nor any French, and that exhaust my limited linguistic repertoire.

Orryn Emrys

Explorer
I certainly prefer the use of fictional linguistics over the application of 'real world' languages... except for English, coincidentally... however, I do strive to develop the same kind of relationships between different languages as exist in the real world. Especially when introducing words from an 'ancient tongue...'

carpedavid

First Post
I do both...

I use both real world langages and created languages to enhance the flavor of my world. I've put a bit of thought into how different languages would have developed and matured as the civilizations and ethnic groups of my world have developed and interacted.

I've actually created one language, called Ehryssan. It's the language of the desert people of Ehryss - named for the goddess of life IMC. It has its own grammer, alphabet, and vocabulary (though that's a bit limited at the moment). I tried to give it a slightly arabic "flavor," but it has no real association with that language at all.

If you'd like a sample, here's the invocation that starts every Ehryssan prayer:

Al alia rys, etu ka shivuun et is ka shivuun, etu ka rovuun et is ka rovuun, mulal etu ka dula is vatrat...

The rough translation into English is:

O, sacred mother, your tears are my tears, your blood is my blood, in your name I pray...

Here's a phrase by phrase explanation of the language:

Al alia rys... "Al" is the only article in the language, and is used here in place of the "O." "Alia" means mother, and "rys" means sacred or holy. In Ehryssan, adjectives follow the subject, unless they are combined into one word, which you'll see later.

...etu ka shivuun et is ka shivuun... "Etu" is equivalent to the pronoun "you," and "ka" is the infinative of the verb "to have." In Ehryssan, there are no posessive forms of pronouns. Instead, you follow the pronoun with "ka" to indicate posession. "Shivuun" is a compound word composed of "shi," meaning "eye" and "vuun," meaning "water." Together, they mean "tear." This is an example of where adjectives preceed the word being modified.

"Et" is the infinitive of the verb "to be," and when used in this context, takes on the present tense. The Ehryssan language only has three tenses - all else is implied. To signify past tense, add "a" to the end of the verb. To signify future tense, add "i" to the end. The present tense is indicated by the infinitive form.

"Is" is the pronoun equivalent to "I." In this case, "is ka" means "my."

...etu ka rovuun et is ka rovuun... "Rovuun" is another compound word, with "ro" meaning red. Together with "vuun," it means "blood." Incidently, vowels in Ehryssan can have long and short sounds. The long sounds are written as double vowels, so the double "u" in "vuun" is long.

...mulal etu ka dula is vatrat... "Mulal" literally means "to talk" and "dula" means "name," so "mulal etu ka dula" means, literally, "to talk of your name." "Vatrat" is the infinitive of "to pray."

So... umm... there you go!

-Dave

orbitalfreak

First Post
I don't use real-world languages in my campaign. I have made up some gibberish sounds that sound like they belong to certain races though. I think a Klingon-ish "language" sounds good for Dwarves, and a soft language with lots of "SH, L, VA, KA" works well for Elves.

Mostly I speak in English (since almost everyone knows Common), but I can slip into a "language" if the need arises (party comes across another race plotting something in their native tongue, etc...). I don't have any sort of translations, no rules for grammar, or how to build words according to spelling rules. I just say what rolls off the tongue, and try to make sure it sounds internally consistent, at least with respect to the sounds used.

For instance, Dwarven:
D'oh vak maR! Koh bahk, Voe Kana. Due cramon

Elven:
Alashan verul, no dal shah, kalavar malon sheravun, no-londal valanush.

Green Knight

First Post
Igarashi said:
Nothing constructive to add, just thought I'd give a shout out to the Transformers reference which I caught and enjoyed : )

*offers Igarashi an Energon goodie*

Bah weep granna weep ninni bon! :)

greeting.jpg

Dark Eternal

First Post
Re: I do both...

carpedavid said:
I use both real world langages and created languages to enhance the flavor of my world. I've put a bit of thought into how different languages would have developed and matured as the civilizations and ethnic groups of my world have developed and interacted.

{Clipped for purpose of quote.}

So... umm... there you go!

-Dave

Thanks a ton! :)

That was very informative, and quite helpful. Sounds like you enjoy doing the in-depth kind of design work that I'm so addicted to...

Remove ads