• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[OT] History of the World

EOL

First Post
My first time playing it was at GenCon last year. Since then I have purchased a copy and played it maybe a dozen times. In some respects it's much different than your typical "take over the world" game which makes it very refreshing and as a consequence very enjoyable. I haven't regretted my purchase even though it was pricey and out of 5 stars I would definitly give it at least 4 stars.

I, too, played it at GenCon last year. It was a lot of fun, and the giant board was cool.

I agree with EOL - it's at least 4 out of 5 stars, but since I only played it once, I'm not sure how I'd actually rate it.

The biggest difference, if I recall correctly, is that each turn you are (usually) a different empire. So you don't just play the same group over and over. One round you're Sumeria and the next you're Rome, etc. Make the strategy a little different--you have to play with what other players have "left you" from their previous turns.

Dark Helmet

First Post
Only up to WWI? So this is just Part 1 then?

"The Inquisition, let's begin."
"The Inquisition, look out sin."
"We know you're wishin' that we'd go away."
"But the Inquisition is here and it's here to stay!"

Goodsport

Explorer
&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp From what I've heard, History of the World doesn't always follow the way history really ended up - but isn't unpredictability the cornerstone for every boardgame? ;)

-G

Goodsport

Explorer
&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp Here's a small image of the box's front cover:

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp
graphic_hotw.jpg

-G

UofMDude

First Post
It's fun but there are a couple of drawbacks:

1) It takes a long time to play compared to other "pizza" games

2) It is quite random. The power difference between some of the empires is just amazing so it is very easy to simply be out of the game after 3-4 of the 7 epochs. This might not appeal to some people.

UofMDude

Utrecht

First Post
I have played HotW about 6 times and have found it to be very enjoyabe.

It typically takes about 4-5 hours of time and yes the comments of power differences between the varios civilizations can be extreme, which is why I feel that game is balanced for 6 people and starts to skew rapidly the less players you have.

For example, there is the pre-cusors to the Mongols (forgot their names) who give you 6 armies and no capitol on worthless land during the same age that you can draw the Romans (I think)

Additionally, you with fewer players, it is possible for a player to camp in an area and just collect points - whereas other players are beating the stuffing out of eachother. (Classic example was that I drew the first 3 chineses civs and was able to take over china, Japan and India - whereas my two competitors kept drawing European civs - so they would fight eachother)

However, that being said, I have found it to play pretty close to historically - the civilaization arder does a great deal for this. For example in the last age you have the rise of the Dutch, followed by France and England taking most of thier colonies - again very accurate.

So if you have the $50 to throw down, I would recommend it - plus the plastic pieces are very enjoyable (and can double as marauding hummanoids in your D&D game)

Bronn Spellforger

First Post
Re: Only up to WWI? So this is just Part 1 then?

Dark Helmet said:
"The Inquisition, let's begin."
"The Inquisition, look out sin."
"We know you're wishin' that we'd go away."
"But the Inquisition is here and it's here to stay!"

God- "Moses! this is the Lord thy God, commanding you to obey my law. Do you hear me?"

Moses- "Yes I hear you, I hear you. A deaf man could hear you."

God- "What?"

Moses- "Nothing.. eh.. gournisht.. .. forget it."

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads