• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[OT] How much of history do we really know?

barsoomcore

Unattainable Ideal
MerakSpielman said:
Nah. I get my scientific knowledge from Douglas Adams books, like normal people. ;)
I get my scientific knowledge from A. A. Milne books.

Drop a stick on the upstream side of a bridge and you'll usually see it emerge on the downstream side of the bridge. But not always...

Angcuru

First Post
As a History Major who has spent the mojority of his life studying various fields of history, I can easily agree with Reapersaurus' comment that on a whole, little is known about the world's history. We may have a general understanding of what happened, what cultures were like, and all that, but that's a lot different from knowing what really happened. For example, we know that in 479 B.C. at the battle of Plataea, some 100,000 greeks assembled to fight their common foe, the Persians. yet somehow, they won. How? We don't know. Perhaps the Persians became ill during their stay in burned-out Athens, and were unfit to fight. Perhaps the Spartans inspired such bad-associty in the greeks that they shredded the Persians. Similar situation at the battl of Marathon. The Athenians were greatly outnumbered facing a foe whome they had virtually no tactical information on, yet somehow they were successful.

And even this information is sketchy. All we have are a few archeological digs and some 'historical documents' that are essentially recordings of oral tradition that tell what happened in the past. and we all know how distorted stories become when passed down orally from generation to generation.

Consider the HUGE gap in historical documentation that take place from the fall of the Roman Empire to the rise of Medieval Europe. What happened in those 4-500 years? we really don't know. It could very well be that the gauls rose to power, occupied rome, reigned for a few centuries, were sacked, slaughtered, had their libraries burnt to the ground, and they simply returned to 'France' to get started.

To say that we know what happened in the history of the world is akin to saying that we know every single thought that passed through (insert random person)'s mind simply because we read his biography. We only get a few surface thoughts and most of the major stuff, but we KNOW that the author for got some things, intentionally left out others, and did not go into extreme detail because of faulty memory and other factors.

History is like memory. The most recent occurrances are extremely detailed and well-known, things father back are a little hazy and not as detailed, etc. etc. A man who just married obviously has vivid memoried of his wedding day (and night ;) ) but he can't remember everything he did that one day twenty-seven years ago when he was first learning how to walk, now can he?

ledded

Herder of monkies
MerakSpielman said:
Nah. I get my scientific knowledge from Douglas Adams books, like normal people. ;)

Braaahhhahahahhaha

oh man, now THAT was funny ;^)

Thanks, now the people sitting near me at work think I'm a lunatic

Dogbrain

First Post
Tilla the Hun (work) said:
In 2001, a noted geologist was requested by a friend to make an informal study of the erosion patterns. He concluded they were indeed caused by rainfall, placing the date of the sphinx at a completely different time than was then widely accepted.

This stood the whole egyptology world on its collective ear. Many noted and respected egyptologists of decades of experience BLASTED this geologist as though he'd committed a carnal sin of blasphemy. As a result, his findings are only sketchily published and not widely known.

That's a classic case of scientists NOT having an open mind due to facts being presented to them through the school room and colleges that are not facts.

Actually, the lone scientists did have an open mind. It was the Egyptologists (Egyptology is a branch of Classicism, not science) who blasted him.

Dogbrain

First Post
MerakSpielman said:
Why did they lie to me? Because they needed some way to explain why we celebrated Colombus Day, so they made up some stuff young kids could understand. Is that the purpose of education? I think not.

Indoctrination of the youth is a fundamental function of government-sponsored education. Likewise, each level indoctrinates different social classes.

The proles get all they need to know at the lowest levels: Sit down, shut up, do as you are told. Some basic reading and math is also inculcated, as is the general cultural mythos.

It stinks on ice, but that's pretty much what primary education boils down to. And these days in the USA, it boils down to indoctrinating children in what a single pair of middle-aged fussbudgets in Texas want.

barsoomcore said:
You're painting a pretty big group with a pretty broad brush, there. It seems like you're saying that history is getting LESS reliable because people are jerks.

But to say that scientists are generally becoming less reliable people, and that therefore our knowledge of history is becoming less reliable, is not a position I can consider very seriously.

It is a bit broad of a brush to paint - but generally speaking it's the trend in the modern world to develop a theory, then bash on anyone with contrary data or standpoint.

Case in point - the sphinx question. The reason the geologist didn't publish much (from his own mouth) was because he didn't want to take a formal stance on the subject that might impact his geologist career.

The majority of the opposition debunking his findings are egyptologists. The majority of those supporting his position are geologists and paleogeologists.

But this is only a case in point. Many of today's so-called scientists (or historians) latch onto a theory and defend it even in light of potential contrary data. It's not until a a pile of contrary data piles up that they change their viewpoint.

Different case in point: Research one of the first archies that found burial sites near the great pyramids. He 1) leapt immediately to the conclusion these were the builders (later recanted his position, but only after stubbornly sticking to it for along time) and 2) his method of dating one grave to another wos solely by comparing the roughness of the craftsmanship of artifacts between the two.

There's so many flaws with that approach that I'll not detail them. However - due to his 'prestige' and his 'adamant' defense of his datings, his was the commonly accepted date for the majority of the graves, his process was the one used from his time period (late 1800's) to the mid 1900's, and was applied to a variety of sites. Also, his conclusions were used as a starting assumption by several other archies that came along later.

The problem? If an ancient egyptian was buried, his household goods were buried with him - if he was poor, those were of poor quality, if he was well-off, these were of greater quality. It had very little to do with actual temporal positioning in the time stream!

Yet it took nearly a hundred years for sufficient data to pile up before the 'scientists' agreed to the mistake. Even so, it crops up now and then even in today's modern world of scientists.

Now, I know I'm painting a broad brush. Probably broader than I should. But the problem has been on the increase, not staying them 'per capita' as one put it earlier. However, there is still some hope for the future...

Between 1999 and 2001, it was stated clearly that frozen mammoth would never yield enough DNA to reconstruct a mammoth via genetic engineering.

In 2002, a Russian expedition recovered enough genetic material to state that they would make the attempt. Scientists made a conclusion, found contrary evidence, and changed their position immediately.

All I am trying to say is that there is far too much acceptance of bare facts without question in the modern world. As much as we do it, scientists are as well. Do you question this increase over time? If so, I'll point you at the general attitude of the renaissance scientists, compare it to the greek philosophers (the grandfathers of modern science), and then compare it to the modern day scientist. There's a lot less fundamental questioning today than there used to be.

In the example of the multiple lies as you grew up - granted it was wrong of them to lie, but how often did you question the fact and ask for proof?

Did you ask how Christopher Columbus, with only moderate experience at actually navigating on the sea, managed to lie to three whole ship crews of veteran sailors and captains who'd been navigating ships their whole lives and convince them they had not sailed as far as they thought??

Dogbrain said:
Indoctrination of the youth is a fundamental function of government-sponsored education. Likewise, each level indoctrinates different social classes.

The proles get all they need to know at the lowest levels: Sit down, shut up, do as you are told. Some basic reading and math is also inculcated, as is the general cultural mythos.

It stinks on ice, but that's pretty much what primary education boils down to. And these days in the USA, it boils down to indoctrinating children in what a single pair of middle-aged fussbudgets in Texas want.

Politics aside - you're absolutely right about the education being the tool of the government :)

Now, if the government would actually REMEMBER that and use it, maybe our children would be able to do better than some of these popular media shows are demonstrating:

1000 individuals of college across the country were asked were slovakia was.

3 pinpointed on an unlabeled map
~33% knew it was in europe.

The answers from the rest varied in detail, but were essentially wrong.

This is why my children will be home-schooled.

ledded

Herder of monkies
I think you are getting close to an extremely important point here.

Wow. That would be a first for me ;^)

<snip>
When you start comparing what we were taught as youths in school to our children of today - you're forgetting the various age groups of gamers :)

Whoops... you are correct. Most gamers aren't old men like me (at the ripe old age closing in on 34). The schoolroom history in the seventies vs. today it is, then.

Conclusions drawn by experts and stated with authority are being accepted as FACT when in reality they are nothing more than OPINION.

Real quick note here... I am of the opinion that FACT is merely opinion backed up with some kind of evidence, observation, and/or widespread acceptance. There are a lot of 'facts' in the past that have been blatantly shown to be untrue. Even the most basic 'facts' may not be held so by anyone. One man's fact is another man's fallacy; perception often becomes one's reality. Of course, being of a logical and scientific bent, most people who dont believe something *I* take for a fact I tell this; just because you dont believe in it doesnt make it any less true, at least to me. And I dont want to start a debate on this at all, but religion is one of the best examples of this.

Of course that's my opinion, you could be wrong. ;^)

<snip>

Good stuff, though I agree with varying degrees to most of what you said. I tend to take a more fence-straddling stance on it... even the worst glory hounds and ratings-hogs 'historians' still have some basic desire to spread what they might mistakenly believe is the truth or fact, and any information, to me, is more important than no information at all. I'd rather hear a lie than nothing at all, because at least then I have *something* to base an impression from. And even a lie often contains some facts that you can derive, even if it's just that a particular source of information sees some gain in telling you a lie ;^)

And if you are basing an opinions or taking your facts from one source, especially mass media (TV, News, etc) then shame on you. The burden of 'truth' is on you, not anyone else. If there is something that sparks in you something more than a passing interest, then check out every side of the issue (even if the opposite side is distasteful or stupid in your opinion) and compare notes. Make observations. Then make up your mind. And if you change your mind a few times along the way, well, that's ok. A mind is like underwear, if you dont change it at least every now and then, noone is going to want to be close to you. And they're certainly not going to want to have anything to do with what's in your underwear ;^)

MerakSpielman

First Post
Did you ask how Christopher Columbus, with only moderate experience at actually navigating on the sea, managed to lie to three whole ship crews of veteran sailors and captains who'd been navigating ships their whole lives and convince them they had not sailed as far as they thought??
No. I read the journal Christopher Columbus kept during his voyages my own damn self. Very enlightening. Maybe he didn't fool the captains, but they were under his command and followed his orders. The common sailers probably didn't know a thing about navigation, if they were literate at all. Some of them believed they would sail off the edge of the world or into nests of sea monsters if they sailed too far, which is why CC decieved them. He feared mutiny.

MerakSpielman

First Post
1000 individuals of college across the country were asked were slovakia was...
What's truly frightening is when they ask that question about various states in the USA. I've seen studies where they asked New York high school grads to draw a map of the USA. Some of the results were funny... in a frightening way, with New York and Long Island easily as big as alaska, Hollywood marked as a state, etc... Other times they were asked to fill in a map of the USA - with the borders of the states all drawn in - and label each state. My own state - New Mexico - was left out of the majority of them (random state names were guessed), though a few of them labeled Mexico as New Mexico. At least one marked "Texico" in the space for New Mexico. They mostly got Texas, California, and Florida right. Some of them mislabeled New York itself.

It's awful. It's just sad.

Currently, lots of people believe Saddam Hussein planned 9/11. Not that he was obliquely involved, as might easily be true, but that he was the lone mastermind behind it all. Some people believe we're in Iraq to find Osama bin Laden. Some people don't realize that the operations in Afganistan and Iraq were two different operations. A majority of polled US citizens believe that we have found weapons of mass destruction in Iraq - they assume that since they keep hearing about Iraqi WMDs on the news that we must have found them. If they hear questions about not having found them yet they seem confused "I though we found those a long time ago. Didn't I see it on the news?"

I don't mind people having opinions - of any sort - but I wish they could grasp the basic facts beforehand. I loathe to think that some of these people are voting - how can they possibly understand the issues?

OK, I may be getting too political for ENworld. I'll be quiet now.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads