[OT] iBook Laptops...

adndgamer

First Post
iBooks are great, and I almost got one, but opted for a G4 tower instead (which I absolutely love!).

There's actually tons of software for the Mac -- both commercial and shareware/freeware (www.versiontracker.com). I believe that the iBook will come with a software bundle, featuring Appleworks, which is a basic word processor, spreadsheet app, and has some other stuff in it too (though you can always buy the brand-spanking-new-better-than-the-windows-version of the MS office suite). And, it should come with a bit of other free software (though don't quote me on that). I've actually never had a piece of software that I couldn't run (if it's not made for Mac, then there's the old standby, VirtualPC, a PC emulator).

In short, the iBook is a great machine. It will run OS X great, and OS 9 even better. And, as somebody else said, they're extremely durable and have great battery lives.

Good luck! :)

To the mods: I'd keep a watch on this.. Things like this tend to get ugly (ie, people, zealots in specific, making personal attacks and insults). I hope that it doesn't and we can be grown up and have an adult conversation (it's looking good so far!), but it's an all-too-common occurance...

adndgamer

First Post
Number47 said:
The only problem with it that I've had is that the CD-ROM drive is quite loud. I don't know if that's just mine, or if others are like that. I don't know if it's been fixed for newer models.

I used to have that happen on my Rev D iMac (tray loading). However, there was an update (firmware, I believe) to fix this. Might wanna look around at Apple's site for it. Good luck, and hope this helps!

TalonComics

First Post
Wow! I'm kinda shocked by the amount of Mac people on here. :D

I do everything on a Mac myself and much like Matt I got a PC to play games. The past several months though I just haven't had time to play it much.

I made a trip to CompUSA the other day and was shocked to find even more games for the Mac now. Even Civ3 was out!

Anyway, back to the topic: Many of my customers are students and staff for the university here. One of the guys was mentioning how many iBooks he was seeing on campus. Apparently here they're all over the place.

~Derek

Remove ads