• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[OT] Indiana Jones RPG's: still play these?

Goodsport

Explorer
&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp
TSR_TheAdventuresOfIJ.jpg

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp
WEG_WorldOfIJ.jpg

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp I've never played TSR's The Adventures of Indiana Jones (the top picture), but I have played West End Games' The World of Indiana Jones (the bottom picture) using the D6 System - WEG switched over from the slower Masterbook System to the faster-paced D6 System halfway into the Indiana Jones line's run (1994-1997), which was definitely a good move.

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp One of the nice things about the game is that although you can play an archeologist like Indiana Jones, you can also play a myriad of other pulp-era characters (including, if you wish, a character similiar to The Shadow).

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp Has anyone here played, or still plays, either or both of these games? :)

-G

Last edited:

Gargoyle

Adventurer
I remember playing the TSR version when it came out; I was quite young... IIRC it's the only RPG I've ever seen with no rules for character creation; you're expected to play Indy, Sallah, or other characters from the first two movies. Not good. "But I want to play Indy!" :)

While I'm a big fan of Torg, and bought all the Shatterzone and Masterbook stuff, I never played Masterbook Indiana Jones. The Masterbook line just left me cold. It just never had the appeal to me that Torg did.

BTW: How is this Off-Topic in a General RPG Discussion forum?

Last edited:

Henry@home

First Post
Yeah, I played the TSR Indiana Jones before. I remember tyring to make some character creation rules for that game (BIG mistake). In truth, the rules to that game were pretty crude (percentile based system, like Chaosium system, but inferior). I remember that weapons didn't do much to the heroes, but they didn't do too much to the bad guys, either.

I never played the masterbook or d6 versions, though. It surprised me that Lucasfilm never licensed a Star Wars game to TSR back in the 80's - guess they figured there was no interest? Or did it have to do more with the turmoil going on in the company in the mid 1980's?

Goodsport

Explorer
&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp The first half of the WEG Indiana Jones line was released using the Masterbook System rules. When the D6 System become WEG's house system in late '95 - early '96, the rest of the Indiana Jones line was written using the D6 rules, which also included conversion rules for switching previous characters' and NPC's stats from Masterbook to D6... fortunately, it converts pretty easily (although not so easily if it had been from D6 to Masterbook). :)

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp And it also helped to purchase the D6 Core Rulebook as well (which was surprisingly thin, but still helpful). ;)

-G

Goodsport

Explorer
&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp Hmm... apparently contrary to the TSR version, the WEG version had a little excerpt as to why it wasn't a good idea to play as Indy or as any of the other established characters. ;)

-G

Last edited:

omedon

First Post
A question to anyone who has played either of these games.

How many hit points does the big Nazi who fights Indy around the airplane in Raiders of the Lost Ark have? How about John Rhys Davies? Or that blasted monkey? Enquiring minds need to know.

Goodsport

Explorer
&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp Fortunately for me, although I heard vague tidbits of the WEG Indiana Jones then-upcoming release in 1993, I wasn't really able to find the game until about 1998, when WEG had a huge sale from their warehouse (and I was able to purchase all the books at 50% off and have them mailed to me ;) ).

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp By then, the D6 System was the game's default system (in the latter half of the game line's books, at least), so my friends and I had created characters using the D6 System straight for the get-go (we were all relieved that we didn't have to use the more wieldy Masterbook System). :)

-G

Driddle

First Post
Nice graffic!

I never played the game, but i'm wathcing the movie on cable right now. "Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade." Man that show rocks! Shawn Connery is one he11 of a guy, even at his age now.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads