[OT] Proof Americans are Stupid (i.e. the Suits are stupid)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crothian

First Post
Hockey is great in person, live. I've got season tickets to the Bluejacckets. They are a lousy team, but they are still good to watch live.

Hockey is no good on the television. It lacks the energy.

Welverin

First Post
Wormwood said:
How about, "I'm one of the 12 people in North America who cares about freakin' Latvia and Slovakia."

Who said I care about Latvia or Slovakia?

Pielorinho said:
Dude, ski jumping lets you fly! Who ever heard of a superhero with the superpower of puckbashing?

Never had much of a fascination with flying. I've never heard of a puck bashing superhero, but Marvel did make Superpro who was a football player, so who knows.

MythandLore

First Post
Welverin said:
Never had much of a fascination with flying. I've never heard of a puck bashing superhero, but Marvel did make Superpro who was a football player, so who knows.
Hey now, Don't try to compare hockey with Football.

There's a reason it's called "the Superbowl".

Is anyone else wondering what a "Superpro" is?

On another matter, I'm 1/4 Latvian, but even I don't care that their not showing the game.
It's all about the figure skating baby, all about the figure skating. ;)

I'm am watching the ski jumping (time delayed) right now as I type though. :)

UnDfind

First Post
A puckbashing superhero? Hmmm.

Teeanage Mutant Ninja Turtles had Casey Jones! He had hockey sticks. Is that close enough?

New feat:

Puckbashing [General]

You smack pucks with the best of them

Prerequisites: Knowledge (Hockey) skill 4 ranks, Proficient with hockey stick

When hitting a puck with the hockey stick, the character may declare to make a "puckbash." When making a puckbash, add a +2 bonus to damage dealt by the puck. A -2 penalty is applied to the attack roll whenever a puckbash is declared.

Hmmm....how about street hockey? Maybe this should be in D20 Modern ;)

DerianCypher

First Post
Tom Cashel said:

And isn't that really the problem with Americans? they can't rouse themselves to give a crap about anything that isn't American?

Can't this be said for most countries? I mean, do Mexicans really give a crap if America and Canada are playing hockey or something?

Agamon

Adventurer
Wormwood said:
Rather than insult Americans, perhaps you should rename your thread.

How about, "I'm one of the 12 people in North America who cares about freakin' Latvia and Slovakia."

"...in North America..."? That seems to be something of an indirect slam to Canadians, methinks, lumping our interests with yours. Sure, I could care less about Latvia and Slovokia, but a hockey game is better than ski jumping.

On second thought, though, I can see the wider appeal to ski jumping over a hockey game between Eastern block countries in the States. Certainly not a dumb move on NBC's behalf. Luckily we have CBC up here; the only thing they know how to do is sports, and they do it well,

hong

WotC's bitch
reapersaurus said:
well, since you're being inflammatory, I'll follow in kind:

Hockey isn;t anything but a bunch of no-toothed, bruised and broken guys who haven't grown out of their pubescent desire to smack against another guy to release their aggression.

Too right. When _I_ want to indulge my pubescent desire to smack against another guy to release my pent-up aggression, _I_ play DUNGEONS AND DRAGONS. Preferably as a barbarian.

Immature gits.

Hong "warcries like 'Ubaaaarrr' strictly optional, though" Ooi

reapersaurus

Explorer
:):):):) you, hong.

That is one of the most ridiculously, whacked-out insults I have ever read on this board.
Using a CHARACTER of mine to sarcastically insinuate something about the person who plays him is about as stupid of thing as I've ever read here.

Sounds like my tongue-in-cheek parry to Welverin's insulting thread hit a bit too close to home for you, you gap-toothed, misrepresentative idiot.

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
Agamon said:

On second thought, though, I can see the wider appeal to ski jumping over a hockey game between Eastern block countries in the States.

I don't think it has to do with them being from former Soviet satellites; I think Americans in general now like our former opponents, in some cases fairly well. I think it has more to do with hockey not being as popular right now as it is in other countries, and skiing and sports like it getting more attention here due to their often tenuous connection to X or extreme sports(I really don't know why on either count).

Fiery Todd

Explorer
It's funny, but Americans are really good at hockey, its just that many of you don't know it (with the exception of Detroit, New York, Chicago, Boston, and Pittsburgh). Your "Miracle On Ice" hockey team of Lake Placid lit the Olympic flame this year (In fact, the last time Canada won gold was like 1952, while the Americans have won it twice since then). Your 2002 squad is expected to have a good showing and your women's hockey team is favoured to win gold (like it did in 98').

The point of interest with Latvia vs. Slovakia is that the NHL is full of quality Slovakian players. Because of this fact many are interested to see how well this team fairs (much the same way a country like Croatia surprised the hell out of everybody at the last World Cup). Is Latvia vs. Slovakia a ratings getter? No. But then, it would be unfair to down play Hockey's role in the Winter Olympics. Hockey is considered one of the main events, and likely first on the scalper's list of tickets to stock.

To stereo-type hockey as a bruiser's sport is too easy. If you've actually watched it for any length of time, its no more violent than football, boxing, rugby, Austrailian Rules Football, etc. You want a violent sport? Try race car driving. People break bones and die racing cars. Besides, fighting isn't allowed in Olympic competition, so you can pry your eyes open now. And what about women's hockey? You can fit that toothless gorilla image quite easily on the guys, but do yourself a favour and try not to talk like that in front of Cammi Granato (I'll leave it up to you to figure out who she is).

Anyway, that's just one Canadian's rant (and frankly, I'm all bracketed out. Phew!).

PS: None of this really matters of course, because Canada is going to crush all who face them. Atleast in theory. Fingers crossed.

(Cheers!):)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads