• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

"Ouch! My toes!" - Rangers & Druids

Visigani

Banned
Banned
Instead of endurance give the ranger death attack, pg 180 of dmg.

Changes: usable only with ranged weapons... No paralysis attack. Bonus to dc equal to favored enemy bonus against favored enemies. Wisdom based dc.

Play up stalker/sniper gameplay.

Last edited:

emanresu

First Post
Hopefully, you're already doing this, but keep the Warlock's player involved in the conversations. The last thing you need is for the Druid's and Ranger's players to be happy then have the Warlock's player feeling left behind. You're balancing all three characters in the party, not just two.

who's the warlock, what? Sayin the Warlock is a subpar for the course, low tier power wise? For a low level dipper our gaming groups love the Warlock. Multiclassed with rogue, Assassins, scouts, most of them love the fient, imp feint + beg influence + ranged touch attack combo.

question wheres the glaivelock?

Duke Arioch

First Post
Okay, so she is an archer. Have you (or her) thought about some multiclassing? There is a feat out there that allows stacking of some scout and hunter abilities. It's name is Swift Hunter. 3 levels of scout are enough to fuel this feat, but oh, boy, do they bring goodies: Skirmish 5d6/5AC, +10ft movement, uncanny dodge, trapfinding, +1 to initiative and fort saves and trackless step. She would lose 1BAB and some spells (she would reach 4th level, though.

emanresu

First Post
Okay, so she is an archer. Have you (or her) thought about some multiclassing? There is a feat out there that allows stacking of some scout and hunter abilities. It's name is Swift Hunter. 3 levels of scout are enough to fuel this feat, but oh, boy, do they bring goodies: Skirmish 5d6/5AC, +10ft movement, uncanny dodge, trapfinding, +1 to initiative and fort saves and trackless step. She would lose 1BAB and some spells (she would reach 4th level, though.

this would go very very well with the favored terrian vs favored enemy version. That means a Ranger/scout with this feat would gain his favored terrian + skirmish bonuses even if he didnt move the pre-req 10' ft? If so now your talkin a class I would like to play.

Visigani

Banned
Banned
this would go very very well with the favored terrian vs favored enemy version. That means a Ranger/scout with this feat would gain his favored terrian + skirmish bonuses even if he didnt move the pre-req 10' ft? If so now your talkin a class I would like to play.

My idea is superior.

Tamlyn

Explorer
who's the warlock, what? Sayin the Warlock is a subpar for the course, low tier power wise? For a low level dipper our gaming groups love the Warlock. Multiclassed with rogue, Assassins, scouts, most of them love the fient, imp feint + beg influence + ranged touch attack combo.

question wheres the glaivelock?

I'm not saying anything about the Warlock as a class. I haven't played it enough to know how powerful it is compared to other classes. All I'm saying is keep the third player in the discussions so he/she won't get left out or feel that their PC is now underpowered.

It has nothing to do with game mechanics and everything to do with interpersonal relationships.

Of course, that's only my $.02.

Empirate

First Post
Spell-less variety is less appealing in ANY game. As with paladin.

Exactly. Spells >>> most everything else in D&D. Even if we're only talking a few 1st level spells on a 6th level PC.

Hopefully, you're already doing this, but keep the Warlock's player involved in the conversations. The last thing you need is for the Druid's and Ranger's players to be happy then have the Warlock's player feeling left behind. You're balancing all three characters in the party, not just two.

Sure enough, the Warlock's player is part of the conversation. He's pretty happy so far, though. He's an imaginative player and knows how to make the most of his character's abilities. At low levels, Baleful Utterance alone is a barrel of fun... and he's going the high Cha, UMD + social skills route, so he won't be lacking for a role.

Instead of endurance give the ranger death attack, pg 180 of dmg.

Changes: usable only with ranged weapons... No paralysis attack. Bonus to dc equal to favored enemy bonus against favored enemies. Wisdom based dc.

Play up stalker/sniper gameplay.

That's... an excellent idea! I'll introduce it as a feat, I think - maybe make it usable against Favored Enemies first, then broaden the options with another feat? Sounds like a good E6 Ranger capstone, as well.

Unfortunately, in E6 the skirmish bonus damage isn't quite so high. Furthermore, losing 1 point of BAB loses you the only iterative attack you're ever going to get. Three attacks (with Rapid Shot, which a Scout must jump through hoops to use effectively) is more or less on par with one attack plus skirmish bonus damage.
What's more, in the last campaign we played, one of the PCs had a cohort who ended up as a Ranger 2/Scout 4 with archery style, Improved Skirmish and Swift Hunter (a that point, the cohort ate a critical with a Greataxe and died, but still). That's about the best Swift Hunter you can get in E6. The player doesn't want to copy the build.

The player thought long and hard about it and decided to stick with pure Ranger, for the Animal Companion and a spell or two.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads