D&D 5E Our Next Adventure?

tommybahama

Adventurer
If you do Avernus I would suggest making the characters have Baldur's Gate a big, important, and beloved part of their back story. None of our party was very connected to it or the other big city in the campaign and some felt no need or desire to go on a fools mission to save either, especially when our DM compared Baldur's Gate to a modern day Detroit.

And don't allow a mixed party of good and evil. Also we were told that we may have to do some bad things "for the greater good." Some of your players might not be comfortable with that.

Spoilers maybe

For some reason our DM rushed us out of the Duke's household before we could loot it after uncovering and thwarting her diabolical plans. It seemed like ransacking it for all it was worth should have been a payoff for the weeks prior. But we only got a +1 mace and fiendish +2 shield that nobody will use. We are 6th level and only have two magic items that we use between the six of us.

We also found magic beans which were kind of lame. I don't know if they were written in the campaign book or something our DM threw in. We still have several that we never tried as the first two were nearly disastrous. If you insist on using them in the campaign then either pick the results ahead of time or roll in secret. Also change the effects up a bit so players aren't tempted to metagame.

Otherwise, I'm enjoying the campaign.

Enrico Poli1

Adventurer
I'll give advice for DiA, too.

- We were a good, heroic party. No need to do evil things. We enjoyed the story very much. I think you could play the adventure as an evil party and attain radically different results (the adventure is open-ended).

- We trimmed down dungeons and combat in the first part, giving space to exploration of Hell and interaction with its dwellers in the second part. You can meet with the stuff of Legends. You can alter the fate of nations and even of the planes. Enjoy!

- About magic items: the adventure is stingy at first, but then... Artifacts pass by, you can grab them if you are willing & able.

Retreater

Legend
I was reading through Chapter One of DiA last night. It's pretty solid, and better than I was anticipating. So it might be the way to go, if I get the players to buy in.
And yes @tommybahama the magic beans are in the adventure.

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
I really like Dragon Heist, but you need to tinker with it a bit in places, and it may not be as simple narratively as you would like. There is a very cool DMs Guild bundle that fleshes the module out and papers over some of the cracks, plus adding in a bunch of smaller encounters, NPCs, and whatnot.

Dax Doomslayer

Adventurer
I liked the Scourge of the Sword Coast. It was one of this in between D&D Next and 5E but overall, it has a nice mix of outdoor and dungeon type encounters and was a lot of fun to play and run.

Remove ads