D&D 5E Out of the Abyss: Hemeth the Duergar

Crucial_agony

First Post
Oh man. A SoB member is a very smart idea. Love the idea that a Society member sees the doom of the Demon Prince first hand and could potentially lead the PC's to some fun quests or locations.

Motorskills

Explorer
I have two new players / two new PCs introduced to the party of Grazilaxx. He has foisted a couple of his "helpers" onto the party to help out with the Society's research into the crazee afflicting the Underdark.

More firepower for the party, useful feedback for Graziliaxx.

"I help you, you help me."
<or I suck out your brains, that bit got left unsaid!> :D

FalloutJaeger

First Post
I'm currently having Hemeth travel to Guantalgrym with the party, and I'm having him be Neutral evil or True Neutral, due to being a smuggler. However Hemeth is still a Druegar, which Im going to add into his personality he always pays his debts, so he is going to travel with the party and help them out, until he deems he repaid his debt. When he deems he repays his debt, he will either leave the party or keep travelling with the party due to befriending them.

Werebat

Explorer
Ah, Hemeth. One of my favorite NPCs from OotA.

They met him in Sloobludop, of course, and he escaped with them and led them to Gracklstugh. Along the way, he revealed that he was a weapons smuggler, and offered to sell them quality Nephelium weapons from the secret stash in his boat (which was recovered from the docks in the scramble out of Sloobludop). This was to foreshadow the Gates of Firestorm Peak, which I used in between Act I and Act II of the book.

Hemeth left the party once they got to Gracklstugh, which they left in some amount of disarray. He popped up again later in the duergar outpost under Firestorm Peak, where he started calling them "bad coppers" for showing up again in his life, and grumbled about some of the madness that had followed their leaving Gracklstugh. If you know Gates of Firestorm Peak, then you know that the PCs can cause quite a bit of upheaval there as well, and mine did, assassinating a hated leader but getting "framed" by the very cleric who paid them to perform the assassination right after they had done the job. And shortly after they left the outpost, it was invaded by undead illithid accompanied by none other than Orcus (this was off screen).

Hemeth showed up again in Mantol-Derith (he IS a smuggler, after all). They met him with other duergar near the gates of the duergar compound, where he grudgingly warned his fellows that "these topsiders -- bad coppers all -- be right good in a fight". When the PCs were finished in Mantol-Derith, they left "the gem" there without realizing what it was (they turned it over to the duergar), and of course all Abyss broke loose there afterwards (again, this was off screen after they left).

Hemeth showed up AGAIN in Menzoberanzan, where the PC dwarf ran into him accidentally while he was negotiating a deal with a drow contact who was trying to purchase some nephilium. He took one look at the dwarf, cursed under his breath, and informed the drow that "tha deal be off", on account of "that softbeard (the hill dwarf) an' 'is bad copper friends" being loose in the city. He'd seen everything go to heck each and every time they'd shown up, from Sloobludop on, and had decided to get out of dodge at the first sign of them. Which was quite canny on his part, since it wasn't long after that that Vizeran summoned hundreds of demon lords to Menzoberanzan...

Remove ads