• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

"Out of the Frying Pan" - Book II: Catching the Spark (Part Two) - {complete}

MavrickWeirdo

First Post
Magic

So fellow readers, what spells does Martin have? What spells does he need? Remember, He is an Illusionist, and he cannot cast Evocation Spells.

I would guess he has:
L0: Arcane Mark, Detect Magic, Ghost Sound, Mending, Prestidigitation, and Read Magic.

L1: Change Self, Color Spray, Silent Image

L2: Minor Image

Can anyone think of any other spells he has used? I would think even someone as stingy with magic as Nemmerle would allow him more than that.:D

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
Well, Mav. . . I assume you mean at this point in the story hour. . . and not in general - so, I will tell you what in your list should not be there: Change Self.

And he did cast another spell: against the quaggoths.

Horacio

LostInBrittany
Supporter
Re: Magic

MavrickWeirdo said:
S
L0: Arcane Mark, Detect Magic, Ghost Sound, Mending, Prestidigitation, and Read Magic.

L1: Change Self, Color Spray, Silent Image

L2: Minor Image

Oh :eek:

Now that I think about it, it's a rather short list... I hope he has more spells...

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
Session #27 (part II)

“Hey, don’t we own them,” Jeremy whispered jokingly to Ratchis, referring to Finn and the others.

“We don’t own anybody,” Ratchis hissed, annoyed with Jeremy.

”No offense, I was just joking. Damn,” Jeremy said, sullenly.

“You know someone was around here looking for you,” Frank said to Jana, as he and the others joined the party at their table.

“They were?” Jana asked.

“Yeah, tall, thin, dark hair, pale skin, mole, dressed in black,” Frank continued. “I think his name was Rin… Rinlar?”

“Rindalith,” Jana said, with a sigh.

“Yep, that was it,” Frank said. “He spent time in the alderman’s house. Don’t know what it was about.”

“Don’t worry, we do,” said Beorth, and Ratchis kicked him under the table.

“So, what’s up?” Frank asked. Carlos and Finn brought stools over, while Gwar motioned for a barmaid to bring by a pitcher and more mugs.

“We have been unsuccessful in finding the dragon,” Kazrack said. “That is the long and the short of it.”

“Yeah, we haven’t had too much luck in our search either,” said Gwar wit ha wink.

“Yeah, we have decided on the strategy of searching in ever-smallening circles,” Frank added.

“Eventually you’ll be circling the inn,” Kazrack said, and everyone laughed.

“You guys look a little beat up,” Finn said.

“Si, parece usted fue atacado por un animal,” Carlos said, taking a big gulp of wine.
“Um, yes, we ran into some bandits on the way here,” Kazrack said, looking at the others as if to say, “back me up on this lie.”
“Bandits!” Gwar exclaimed, a few of the shepherds in the common room turned and looked at them.
“Let’s keep it down, we don’t want to worry people too much,” said Kazrack lowering his voice.
“But your wounds like they were caused by claws or something,” Frank said.
“Oh, they had a creature with them,” Kazrack continued his line of lines. “It was sort of cat-like, wasn’t Ratchis?”

“You saw it better than I did,” Ratchis said, and proceeded to shove huge spoonfuls of stew into his mouth. It dribbled down the front of his tunic.

“Sounds like… a what are those? A similodon, ain’t it?” Frank said. “Were the bandits gnolls?”

“No,” said Kazrack.

“We fought some gnolls nearby,” said Finn. “We think they may be behind the disappearances around here.”

Martin excused himself to see if he could find the equipment he had left behind. He walked over to the bar to talk to Gibb about it.

”Any other interesting characters around here?” Beorth asked their former traveling companions.
“A couple of monks,” Frank said.

Beorth rubbed his shaved head deep in thought.

“Well, there’s nothing like being in the wilds for a bit to make you appreciate an inn that much more,” Kazrack said.

----------

Martin the Green found out from Gibb that his stuff had been sent over to the widow Beatrice’s since that was where he was supposed to be staying. He walked over there, and the old woman crankily told him that she had sent his stuff to the alderman’s for safe keeping as she had to rent her rooms to “people who are actually around.”

The young watch-mage walked over to the alderman’s house and in a few moments he was sitting in the parlor taking with Henry Horton. Henry’s son brought them a tray of wine, cheese and bread.

The alderman wanted to know what the party had been doing for the last few months, and Martin struggled to sound convincing as he explained that they had tried to discover the source of the “haunting”, but had gotten sidetracked looking for the dragon and fighting off bandits.

“Bandits!” the alderman seemed shocked. “Nearby? We should tell Maxel and get the militia prepared.”

“Oh, um. . .It was not so close to right here,” Martin said. “It was right outside of Ogre’s Bluff.”

“I hope you told the authorities in Ogre’s Bluff,” the alderman said.

“Um,” Martin was trying to think fast, but his lying skills were weak. “Well, it was kind of inbetween there and here.”

“So, we can do something about it,” the alderman insisted.

“Well, I think my companions and I are going to take care of it,” Martin said.

“There is no reason to risk yourselves unduly. This is just what the militia is organized for. I will call the constable over so we can discuss how to deal with the bandits, what their method of operation is and their possible numbers,” the alderman said.

“Um, I think it can wait until tomorrow,” Martin said. “I will discuss it with the more strategically minded members of my group, so we can best present this information to you and the constable.”

“I will have Maxel come speak with you in the morning,” the alderman said, looking at the Martin suspiciously.

“Yes, that will work,” Martin said. “Now, I do not mean to be rude, but I was told that my things were being stored here, and I have had a long and arduous day on the road.”

The alderman had one of his sons bring Martin’s things which included to large saddle-bags full of things and the valise that had belonged to the warlock that worked with Devon and Markle (110).

He returned to the inn to find that the others had retired for the night.

Gibb was cleaning up the now empty common room.

“Hey, I meant to ask you,” Gibb called to Martin as he crossed the inn towards the rear hall and stairway. “I presume there are still seven of you? Where is your red-haired friend?”

“You mean Chance? He… died along the way,” Martin answered sullenly.

“Oh, so that one room is a double instead of a triple then,” Gibb said, awkwardly. Martin discussed paying to store some of his heavier stuff at the inn, and paying ing advance. An agreement was reached.

Martin went upstairs.

------------------------------

In the meantime, Jana and Beorth were talking in the room they shared.

“So, Jana,” Beorth said, unpacking his gear and turning down his bed. “When I happened to mention Rindalith Ratchis kicked me under the table. I guess you don’t want people knowing about your friend.”

Jana placed her hands on her hips, “He is not my friend.”
“No, I think he’s more your enemy than your friend, but you know what I mean,” the paladin replied. He began to remove his scale mail. Jana walked over to aid him with the straps on the back.

“I don’t really know what he wants,” Jana said.

“No, Jana. Tell me the truth. You like to avoid telling us the truth, and I am growing tired of it,” Beorth said, sternly. “He was your teacher?”

“Yes,” Jana replied meekly. She lowered a portion of Beorth’s armor on the floor, and then went and plopped down on her own bed.

“So, what exactly happened when you killed this person?” Beorth asked, turning and looking at the young witch right in the eye. “What was his name?”

“Sonya,” Jana replied, looking down.

“So, it was a female…”

“Yes,” Jana did not look up.

“And?”

“Nothing happened,” Jana said, letting out a low breath. “I got out of there. That is how I ended up here. But I cannot imagine that he came after me because he was happy with what I did.”

She lay back on the bed and looked up at the ceiling.

“Sonya and I never got along very well,” Jana said. “She was always sticking her nose where it didn’t belong, and bursting in on someone invoking a token is a dangerous thing. She could endangered me, and who knows how many other people. I will admit I may not have handled it the best way.”

She looked to Beorth.

“So, do you think he will just want to kill you? Do you think he could just do it?” Beorth asked.

“Well, I am surprised he involved constables,” Jana said. “And yes, I am sure he has the power to kill me easily if that is what he wants to do.”

“So, he wants to circumvent the law, so to speak, by using the law,” Beorth mused. He sat down on his own bed.

There was a knock on the door. It was Kazrack and Martin, and they both seemed to be seething.

“We need to talk about lying,” Kazrack said to Beorth.

“Lying?” Beorth asked.

“Well, we were hoping Jana could help us, she seems to be good at it,” Kazrack said. “It has to do with the story about the bandits we told so we didn’t have to tell about the manticore.”
“You mean the story you told,” Jan said, scathingly. “I think it is amazing how the two of you dare to look down at me for keeping things to myself, and trying to avoid saying something when it means I’d have to lie, but when it comes time to make up lies to cover your own mistakes you are more than happy to try to get me to lie for you.”

“I am sorry for the unintended insult,” Martin said, quietly.

“Yes, well I appreciate the fact that you acknowledge my skills,” Jana added dryly. “Now, you told this lie about bandits…”

“Yes, well… I told Frank and Gwar and those fellows, but what are we going to tell the alderman?” Kazrack said.

“We can just say nothing,” Beorth offered.

“I don’t think that is an option anymore,” Kazrack said. “Martin mentioned the bandits to the alderman already.”

Jana sighed loudly.

There was another knock on the door. It was Ratchis.

“What is going on?” he said. They explained to him the situation.

He sighed.

“Okay, this is what we’ll say,” Ratchis said. “We’ll say that the quaggoths were the bandits and that we have reason to believe that they are hiding out beneath Ogre’s Bluff and that we plan to return and take care of it.”

“Hmmm, that just might work,” said Martin.

“Yes, I agree,” said Jana with a smile.

“It seems that you’re not the only one with a talent for telling stories,” Ratchis said to Jana. He turned to Kazrack. “Now, just don’t let Jeremy leave your room in the morning without making sure that he is in on the story and has it straight.”

It was agreed, and Martin, Ratchis and Kazrack adjourned to bed, leaving Jana and Beorth to finish their conversation.

“I’m afraid I may be leaving the group,” said Beorth solemnly.

Jana looked at him puzzled, “Go on.”

“I have reason to suspect that the monks of Anubis I spent time with many not be following our gods’ desires,” the paladin explained. “Anubis had been registering his displeasure with my actions. And while the rest of the group needs to fulfill their tasks for Osiris, I believe this is the most pressing thing for myself.”
“So, how long do you plan to stay with us?” Jana asked.

“Probably not until…”

“We travel to that trading post? Archet?”

“I was thinking maybe there…” The paladin’s words trailed off into a deep thought.

He began again,. “Listen, strangely enough I trust you, but…”

“You do not wish me to share this information with the others, right?” Jana interrupted.

“If the group finds out, they will learn it from me.” Beorth insisted. “I do not want anyone ignoring the tasks of Osiris for my sake and they are uppermost in everyone’s mind, except mine.”

“And mine,” said Jana. “I have not felt the pull to accomplish mine as of yet. But you do know the group’s propensity for sticking their nose where it doesn’t belong. Even if I say nothing they may insist on following you.”

“So, are you saying you would come with me?” Beorth asked, failing to hide the surprise in his voice.

“I would if you asked me to,” Jana replied.

“I am not sure what I can do alone against six men, but…”

“Are you sure that you need to do that?” Jana asked.

“You don’t understand not only was the place being dug up by the monks of Anubis, it was being dug up by me,” Beorth tried to explain.

There was a long silence.

“I think I need to discover the truth of what is happening,” he said, softly. “I may get myself killed. I may get you killed.”

“I honestly don’t think my life expectancy is that big to begin with, so that’s no problem,” Jana said, turning on her side and propping her head up with one hand. “If I can help you I will.”

She lay back down flat and pulled a thick woolen blanket over herself.

“Good night, Jana,” Beorth said.

“Night, Beorth,” she replied, and he blew out the lantern light.

Isilem, 9th of Dek – 564 H.E.

Morning found Jeremy and Kazrack getting ready for their day. Jeremy got dressed, but left his armor in the room, and only bothered to strap the elven blade to his side. He slid it out of the scabbard and examined the silvery steel with admiration.

“I have to pray,” said Kazrack, hefting his prayer stone from his pack. The thing was a cylinder of stone with rounded ends and covered with runes in many places. There was a slight groove from years of Kazrack prostrating himself with his forehead on the twenty-pound stone.

“Don’t let me stop you,” Jeremy replied and made for the door to the room.

“Wait, before you go downstairs you have to see Martin or Jana,” the dwarf said.

Jeremy stopped and turned around, “Why?”

“They have to tell you something,” Kazrack said.

“What?”

“They’ll tell you when you see them,” Kazrack said.

“Do I have to see them both, or can it be one or the other?” Jeremy asked.

“One or the other,” Kazrack replied, wiping his stone off and preparing to press his head against it.

“What if they aren’t up here?” Jeremy continued to ask questions, holding the door ajar.

“I am sure they are around,” Kazrack replied, exasperated.

Jeremy went down the hall and found Jana. She explained to him about the cover story.

“Oh, is that all?” Jeremy said. “Come on, let’s get some breakfast. I’m hungry.”

Downstairs was alive with the voices of many men. Jana and Jeremy came into the common room to find the place filled with shepherds, some dressed in old bits and suits of leather armor or ring mail, or with a small shield. Some had short bows or crossbows, but most had spears.

Jeremy and Jana took a seat in one corner, and soon Frank and Gwar came to sit with them.

“What’s going on?” Jeremy asked them.

“Oh, the constable called the militia so they can track down the bandits,” Frank explained. “They have got it in their minds that these bandits of yours must be responsible for the rash of disappearances around here.”

“Disappearances?” Jeremy asked.

“Yeah, we’ve been looking into them ourselves, a bit, but you should know about them they started before even you guys first got here, by all account,” Frank said.

“Is Kazrack awake?” Jana asked Jeremy.

“Yep.”

“He’s praying, isn’t he?” she asked.

“Yep.”

“And he’s not to be disturbed,” she asked with a mischievous smile.

“Yep,” Jeremy began to plow into his bowl of oatmeal.

Upstairs, Maxel, the constable, was knocking on Martin’s door. Martin the Green who was only about halfway through preparing his day’s spells, sighed and answered the door.

“I have come to see you at the alderman’s behest about these bandits,” said the man. He had beard growing in and was wearing a suit of chain mail. He had a round shield on his back and a long sword at his side.

‘Oh, yes. Well, I was going to go talk to the alderman about that this morning,” Martin said, wearily.

“Most of the militia are gathering downstairs and out front,” Maxel explained. “We figure the appearance of these bandits and the disappearance of the local people may be connected.”

“Oh, no, um… I don’t think they are,” Martin said, aghast. “Um, you see, the bandits were these hairy bear-like man-creatures, called ‘quaggoths’. We think they are hiding out in the caves under Ogre’s Bluff and have taken to harrying people in that area.”

Maxel actually looked disappointed. “So, you think they has nothing to do with the local disappearances?”

“I doubt they have spread so far north, and they do not come out by day,” Ratchis said.

“Did you warn the constable and alderman down in Ogre’s Bluff?” Maxel asked. Martin looked over at Ratchis who was sitting quietly in one corner, having finished his morning prayers.

“We only realized what was going on with these creatures on our way here, and did not get a chance to warn them,” Ratchis said.

“Oh, well then I should get a message sent down there to warn them,” Maxel said.

“Don’t worry, we’ll go back down there ourselves and warn them,” Ratchis said.

“Oh, yes…” Martin jumped back in the conversation nervously. “I will draw a sketch of what they look like and bring it over to the alderman’s so that copies can be made and people can be warned.”

“Sound like a good idea,” Maxel said, now looking suspiciously at Martin, and then to Ratchis and then make to the Watch-mage. “I am heading over there now after I disperse the militia. But you know, your friend, Maria, she left town without paying the widow Beatrice. She might be among the people are missing.” (111)

He bid them good-bye.

“I guess we should have warned them, Martin said.

“Come on. Go get some breakfast, and we’ll tell the others,’ Ratchis said, leading his way through the door.

---------

It was agreed that the party would go back to Ogre’s Bluff. Martin would inform the alderman of the quaggoths under the town and from there the party would go to Archet. Martin the Green went to go see alderman before they left, while the others packed their things and spent some time talking to Frank and Gwar and Finn and the others.

Martin spent the morning trying to allay the alderman’s suspicions that they were keeping something from him, and answering as many questions about the nature of the quaggoths as he could. Maxel excused himself and went back to his shop, where Ratchis and Beorth were waiting for him. Maxel was not only the constable, but the only real smith in the area, and an armorer.

Ratchis got a suit of scale mail fitted to him. He also bought a helmet with a pointed top, with an open face and a nose guard. He had to chop off a few of his natty locks of flaming red hair so it could fit over his big head.

“Wow, that’s some pretty heavy armor you got there,” Finn said later, when he spied him leaving the shop. “I’d hate to fall off a boat in that stuff.”

Beorth paid for a suit of splint mail, a large shield and a helmet. The splint mail had belonged to Maxel’s brother, and it needed to be let out in the shoulders. It would be ready in three days. The party decided to return for it before seeking out Archet, but after warning the alderman in Ogre’s Bluff.

It was just getting on noon when the party finally began their trek back to Ogre’s Bluff.

They marched through the snow southward, and skirted the clearing where they had battled the manticore to a stalemate. They marched hard, trying to get back to Summit as soon as they could, and when they were close to it they went around it to the west to go directly to the alderman’s house.

They came up to the main gate and Martin pulled the cord on the bell announcing their presence. A few moments later, Brochard, the older of the two guard-brothers came down the lane.

“Who goes there?” he called, holding up a lantern, and holding a sword in his other hand.

“It is I, Martin the Green, and his companions,” Martin called out. “I have come to see the alderman on a matter of great importance.”

Brochard opened the gate and led them up to the house. He brought them into the entry hall and closed the doors behind them. “The butler, Dormast, will come and bring you to the alderman when he is ready to see you,” the young guard said, blowing out the lantern and putting it in a corner by a coat stand.

The party waited.

And they waited. They listened to the sound of snow melting off their fur cloaks and dripping on to the patterned ceramic tile of the entry hall. They watched the shadow against the frosted glass that flanked the front doors grow longer and darker.

Jeremy opened his mouth to begin complaining when he felt it might be a whole hour they had been standing there, but suddenly the doors opened and there stood the butler, his face pruned like raisin. He led Martin inside, and asked the others to wait. The guard hung back in the rear hall that led to the parlor. The door closed and the party continued to wait.

Five minutes later the front doors flew open, and there stood five men in studded leather armor with spears, and helmets. They wore dirty yellow tabards with a symbol upon them like the shape of the bluff the town sat upon. Behind them stood the constable, the tips of his hair frosted white as they blew in the wind. He brandished his long sword and cried, “Surrender yourselves peaceably!”

The party was taken aback. Jana tied to step forward, but Ratchis stepped in front of her. She began to go around him.

“I am guilty of no crime!” Ratchis called

“Then you should not resist,” one of the guards called.

“You are wanted for helping a prisoner wanted for murder to escape,” the constable roared, his voice was a loud rasp. “Drop your weapons and your weapons belts. Now!”

Jana stepped to the threshold, brushing past Ratchis who again tried to stop her. Kazrack and Beorth dropped their weapons belts, and Kazrack let his halberd fall from where it was tied to his pack.

“Ratchis, these men are only acting accordingly because of Richard the Red’s use of magic to free Jana,” Kazrack said, reasoning it out.

Ratchis gritted his teeth, bristling at the idea of allowing himself to be taken. He stepped to the left and took a swing at the closest guard, who was ready for him, thrusting his spear forward, but Ratchis leapt back, making his own blow miss its mark.

Jeremy dropped his weapon belt.

The guard to the right grabbed Jana by the arm and roughly pulled her out, while the first guard stabbed at Ratchis again, but the half-orc was too quick for him.

Jeremy grabbed at Ratchis from behind, but the ranger leaned forward and avoided the grapple. Using his moment he stepped to the right and turned his back to the wall, and then undid his weapon belt and put his hands in the air.

“Idiots,” he muttered.

“Everybody on your knees!” the constable barked. The party hesitated, and then obeyed.

They all had their hands manacled behind their backs.

------

Inside Martin was looking awkwardly at the fine furniture and thinking of his soiled and wet robes and cloak. He waited nearly another quarter hour before the door opened again and the alderman walked in.

He walked absently to his desk and looked through some papers, and then acknowledged Martin, slowly approaching the watch-mage, and letting a string of hollow pleasantries and flattery fall easily from his lips.

“Help yourself to something,” he said, gesturing down to a tray of bread and meat, and a bottle of wine.

“Thank you, sir, but I have something very important to warn you about,” Martin said.

“Oh, really?” the alderman said, looking up with a cocked eyebrow.

“Yes, sir. I’m sorry we failed to warn you sooner, but we just found out ourselves that there is a new danger in the area, in the Honeycombe,” Martin was speaking quickly. “You know, the Ogre Caves? These creatures from the Plutonic Realms called ‘quaggoths’. They killed off the ogres and may be planning to attack the surface. Luckily, we think they do not like the light.”

He took a deep breath.

“Monsters?” the alderman asked incredulously.

“Yes, sir. They are big hairy bear-men,” Martin said.

“Big hairy bear-men?” the alderman walked over to the tray and broke off a piece of bread and slapped a piece of spiced meat on it. “You came to tell me about bear-men? Not to tell me what perhaps you should have told me, which is that you are traveling with a group that not only harbors a fugitive, but that aids and abets her in her escape.”

“Huh?’ Martin was taken aback. "What? What do you…?”

“Do you think that you are above the law?” the alderman asked.

“No sir,” Martin replied. “There has been some misunderstanding.”

“There is no misunderstanding that I know about,” the alderman said. “And as we speak your companions are being taken into custody.”

“What?!” Martin turned to the door.

“We are not finished,” the alderman said, sternly.

Martin turned back around.

“What is to happen to them?” Martin asked.

“Well, that remains to be seen,” Alderman Silvestri began to pace the room. “There will be a hearing where the evidence will be presented and I will make a judgment about whether the girl is to be extradited and what penalty if any is fitting you companion who set her free.”

“But they did not set her free!” Martin insisted.

“Well, then. You will be allowed to present your own evidence at the hearing. Nothing has been decided yet,” the alderman took a bite of his snack.

“Well, I am glad you have not pre-judged the matter,” Martin said, a trace of sarcasm escaping from him.

“No, of course not,” the alderman looked sincerely insulted, but then he shrugged and it washed off of him as if it had never been there. “I am nothing if not just.”

-----------------

“What is your procedure for trying people?” Kazrack asked the guard nearest him as he and the rest were led back towards town in a single file line. Ratchis was up at front, followed by Jana. Kazrack was in the middle, with Jeremy and then Beorth taking up the rear.

“You’ll find out when it happens. Now shut up!” the guard replied.

Kwa followed the line of prisoners, whining occasionally, and trying to walk beside Ratchis, but would receive a warning kick from a guard.

Ratchis growled, and then changed his voice to have a kind tone, “Kwa, go! Go Kwa!” The dog cocked his head, and whined again, but then obeyed taking off into the woods.

The marched on the sky becoming darker and darker as the snow crunched beneath their boots. The finally came to town, and brought into the constable’s office. There they stopped as the guards fanned out to surround them, and one guard went to open the door that led to the cells. The captain stood grinning on the right.

“Nephthys!” Ratchis cried calling to his goddess as he stepped back slamming into Jana and the manacles on his wrists popped off. Jana’s and Kazrack’s did as well. (112)

The guard in front turned and grabbed at Ratchis, but the deft half-orc spun to the right dodging his grasp. Kazrack leaned forward to grab Ratchis, but only half-heartedly and so he also missed. Ratchis came out of his spin grabbing at the captain who had his sword drawn and he slashed out. Ratchis turned away from the blade and then with the reach of the blade pushing the arm away as he grabbed the captain and spun him into a pinning lock. The captain roared and brought all his strength to bear to break free, but he was no match for the brutish Friar of Nephthys.

“Stop now, or this is going to turn ugly!” one of the guards cried, reaching for his crossbow.

Jeremy leaned over and started to surreptitiously try to slip out of his bonds.

Two guards calmly stepped back and one leapt up on a desk and raised their crossbows they had been loading and all fired at Ratchis at once. He spun around, holding the captain in front of him and they jerked their bows away, causing the bolts to miss.

Beorth stepped into a corner out of the way. “Ratchis, you are only making matters worse,” he said, calmly.

The captain tried to burst free again, suddenly, but Ratchis was not taken by surprise. He held his grip easily.

“I don’t care if you have to kill me I want this pig-f*cker dead!” the constable screamed, white foamy spittle flying from his flaking lips.

The first guard began to bang on the door to the cell area.

“Escaping prisoner! Escaping prisoner! He’s gonna kill the captain,” he yelled.

Ratchis shaved the constable forward through the line of his companions and then turned to keep his hostage between him and the guards with crossbows. Jeremy continued to fumble with the manacles, but he was beginning to see it would be impossible.

The captain roared again, and began to spit and spasm wildly trying to break free. He failed.

Another guard leapt up on a table trying to get a better shot from above. Kazrack pretended to stumble and slipped under the table and tried to jerk it up with his back. The table buckled, but the guard kept his balance.

Jeremy looked at Ratchis slowly backing his way to the door outside, so he stepped over to it and grabbed the knob in his manacled hands and pulled it open. Feeling the cold air on his back, Ratchis smiled and dropped the captain and spun around hustling out of the door.

By this time Martin had made his way back to town and he came into the center of town to see Ratchis hurry out of the constable’s office with great speed. The captain leapt to his feet and turned around to follow Ratchis, but Jeremy fell to his hands and knees in front of the door.

“Oops!” The captain stumbled over the Neergaardian and out into the slushy ground.

The opposite door opened and another guard stepped into the office.

“What is going on?” he cried.

“Help contain the prisoners,” one of the guards cried. “We have an escapee!”

One of the guards turned to run out the door to find Kazrack blocking his path.

“What would you like us to do?” the dwarf asked feigning cooperation. He smiled broadly.

“Stay here!” the guard commanded.

“Okay, I’ll stay right here,” Kazrack said, and stood his ground.

“Against the wall!” the guard shoved the dwarf back, and then bolted out the door behind another guard.

Ratchis was already over a hundred feet away when the two guards emerged, and was turning to put a building between him and sight of the office. The constable scrambled to his feet and began to chase after the half-orc while the two guards fired their crossbows, one of the bolts bit into the dirt instead of into half-orc flesh, but the other nicked him in the thigh. Ratchis poured on the speed, and soon he was out of sight and beyond being caught up to as he made straight for the woods to the west of town.

The constable stopped and began to walk back towards the office. Martin jogged over.

“Captain, in Ra’s name, what is goin on here?” Martin asked, out of breath. The constable was seething, Martin almost thought he saw steam rising from his skin.

“Get out of my way,” the constable growled. “I got prisoners to see to, and a pig-f*cker to kill.”

The constable stormed past his men and into the office. “Put the prisoners in their cells. I’m calling out the militia. We’re gonna have ourselves a pig-roast like in the old days.”

Jana and Beorth were placed in cells next to each other, while Kazrack and Jeremy were across from them.

The constable walked over to the inn, and was followed by Martin the Greee, who was trying to figure out what to do.

“Attention everyone!” the constable called to the people in the Golden Plough’s common room. “I want to announce that there is a fugitive orc loose in the area. He is unarmed, but savage and very dangerous. He is wanted alive, but if you have to kill him, so be it – though I prefer a chance to do it myself. He is a killer so caution is recommended.”

Martin cleared his throat, “A killer? Whom has he killed? I do hope sir that that you will not take justice into your own hands and circumvent the proper trial anyone is allowed.”

The constable brought his gray down to meet Martin’s blue ones. “You had better stay out of my way,” he growled. “You may be a Watch-Mage, but I’m not afraid to lock you up if I have to. No one is above the law in my town.”

“I will be organizing groups to search for him,” the constable added, speaking to the crowd present. “A savage like that will be heading towards the woods to root around like an animal, I’m sure.”

And with that he left the inn.

Meanwhile Ratchis made his way to Aze-Nuquerna.

End of Session #27

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Notes:

(110) See Session #12/#13

(111) The party heard rumors of people missing when they first came to Summit (see Session #15)

(112) Ratchis used the spell Word of Freedom. This 2nd level spell is part of the [I}Freedom[/I] domain, and is unique to friars of Nephthys.

MavrickWeirdo

First Post
nemmerle said:
Well, Mav. . . I assume you mean at this point in the story hour. . . and not in general - so, I will tell you what in your list should not be there: Change Self.

And he did cast another spell: against the quaggoths.

I found it, he also has Daze

That mean's he has up to 7 L0 spells, 2 L1 spells, 1 L2 spell; Of course that is from the "new" spellbooks he made from the Gnome Illusionist's library, Hopefully now that he has his "old" spellbooks back he will have more options.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
Mav, you are still missing at least one more that has been mentioned in the story hour. . .

ACF363.gif
Um, but where is everybody? No one has said anything about the last session. . . .!

I am working on a couple of Interludes (which means it is a write up of between session stuff handled over email).

Ciaran

First Post
Mav,

Some good guesswork, but Martin doesn't have Arcane Mark, Ghost Sound or Change Self. The other spells you've listed are correct, and at this point in the story hour he has four other 1st level spells and one other 2nd level spell. Would you like to try again? :)

- Eric

Zipher

First Post
Great Story Hour!

Hey Nem,

Haven't been on for a long time... :) sorta lost the boards after they moved...

Finally Caught up, Great story hour, keep it up! :p

Sammael99

First Post
nemmerle said:
Um, but where is everybody? No one has said anything about the last session. . . .!

Well, what is there to say ? It's at these times that players sometimes realise that they have f*cked up !

However did they think they would walk back into town no questions asked ? Also, it's pretty obvious the alderman is shady at best, so I'm not surprised...

I am susprised, though, that all apart from Ratchis are so passive about it. Being respectful of the law is one thing, but when it's as obviously crooked as this, you try and resist... At least, I'm pretty sure my players would have tried harder...

How they are gonna get out of this without breaking the law is beyond me...

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
Interlude

Martin sighed and went up to his room in the Golden Plough, and lay in bed considering his options.

Snapping awake, he gathered his clothing and brought them downstairs to be laundered. He then ate a light meal and went to sleep.

Osilem, 10th of Dek – 564 H.E.

Martin awoke very early the next day, before the sun had come up – and not feeling particularly hungry.

He simply sat around for a while and thought, while scratching Thomas, his familiar, under the chin.

After an hour or three spent poring over maps and journals, interspersed with bouts of staring off into the distance, he went downstairs to pick up his laundry and arrange for a bath. After cleaning and grooming himself, he headed over to the alderman's manor to speak with Silvestri. It was mid-morning.

Martin found the place to be very quiet. He rang the bell at the gat, and it took a good ten minutes before Bryce (the younger of the two guards/brothers) to come out.

"Morning, What can I do for you?"

Martin took a deep breath. Standing tall, he raised his chin slightly and looked the guard straight in the eye. "Good morning, Bryce," he said, his voice firm. "I wish to speak to Alderman Silvestri immediately."

As he spoke he brushed at a fold in his robe with one hand, subtly calling attention to the King's medallion.

"Heh," the replied looking Martin up and down. "I doubt he'll have time, what with his preparation for the hearing. But I will ask Dormast to inquire."

He allowed Martin to enter the gate and led him to the front hall. The doors beyond into the house proper were open, and the warmth of the large hearth in the chamber beyond feels good.

Martin the Green waited about fifteen minutes when Dormast came to retrieve him.

"The master will see you in the parlor," the butler said leading the way.

------

The desk against the far wall in the parlor was covered with some books and many scrolls. The alderman stood and smiled.

He turned to Dormast. "Bring us some tea and something to nibble on, Dormast, and be quick about it."

"Martin, good day," Silvestri said. "I pray you are finding your stay at the Golden Plough to be satisfactory."

Martin nodded. "Thank you, Alderman Silvestri," he replied, "my stay has been satisfactory. It must, however, be brief. I shall be leaving town at noon, and I shall require an escort. You will make two of your guardsmen available to me for the journey to Twelve Trolls and back."

The alderman looked at Martin with a raised eyebrow of incredulousness. "You presume to tell me what to do? Your own position in all of this is not exactly clear, so perhaps you should step lightly."

Martin blinked. "I am entirely aware of my position in this matter," Martin said. "I am the eyes and ears of His Majesty Brevelan III in the Alder-villages of Gothanius. And I have a great deal to report. You should appreciate this; your fellow Aldermen have spoken well of your intelligence and flexibility."

The alderman smiled again.

Martin's palms were already growing sweaty on his staff, but he carefully controlled his breathing.

"Please sit," the alderman suggested. "I will be unable to spare even one guard right now, let alone two, but perhaps in a few days, after the hearing and we know better the future of your companions, I may be able to spare two or even more."

Dormast brought in a tray of tea and biscuits.

"Ah," said Martin. He cast a brief glance at the butler, then continued. "I fear, Alderman, that you misunderstand the situation. They will not be tried here. It stands for His Majesty to determine their fate."

"That is for me to determine once I have heard the evidence. I still have jurisdiction over my lands and the people found within their bounds, at least last I checked. Perhaps, I will send them to 12 Trolls, perhaps it is too small a matter to bother the king with. We shall see."

The butler poured two cups of tea, bowed and left.

"Mister Silvestri. I have received clear and unambiguous instructions from the capital that His Majesty requires a service of these specific individuals. While he may not yet be aware of the situation here, he shall surely be made aware of it in my report. At that point, I am sure that he will take an interest in resolving the situation. And His Majesty's authority exceeds yours within this jurisdiction... at least, last I checked." Martin had to concentrate to keep his lip from quivering.

"Well, then if that is the case I suggest you delay your leaving and present your evidence at the hearing in two days time. Of course, no matter what happens - one of your companions, the half-breed, is still at large and wanted for assaulting the town guard - a very serious offense."

Martin shook his head. "The half-breed is hardly relevant here, as he is not in custody. As to the rest, I shall return from Twelve Trolls immediately after my audience with His Majesty. I would recommend that you suspend your hearing until the King has had the opportunity to determine what is to be done with them. I shall not force you to act one way or the other..." He shrugged. "His Majesty's authority only extends so far as the loyalty of his subjects. Isn't that so, Alderman?"

"Aye, But one must wonder at the loyalty of those who are not his subjects, and their agendas."
The alderman cleared his throat

"Go if you like, but you gain no escort from me at this time. The safety of Ogre's Bluff comes first, and with all the strange occurrences lately, I prefer to get all my ducks in a row and take my decisions one at a time. While your letter and seal oblige me to aid you, they do not oblige me at the expense of my original charge. I would suggest that instead you exercise some patience and common sense."

Martin shrugged again. "I understand your desire to assure your town's safety. I respect that. So I shall travel to Twelve Trolls alone. As to those you hold prisoner, I can only suggest that you show restraint until you have learned the will of your sovereign in this matter."

"One would almost assume that you do not trust me to be an impartial judge in this matter. Perhaps I should order you to remain in Ogre's Bluff so that I may hear your testimony, and so that I will also likely save your life from a reckless journey alone across the kingdom, when you can make it more safely in a few days time, and with my blessing."

After a long pause the alderman added, "But i will not do so."

Martin looked down at the tea and biscuits, and felt no desire to have any. He realized that he had skipped breakfast as well.

"Thank you, Alderman. I shall return in a few days' time. I trust that, in the interim, you will act appropriately. Good day," Martin’s face returns to his normal pinched and annoyed look.

"Fare well, I trust your sorcerous abilities will keep you safe on the road and help you find the way," The alderman said, and Martin nodded.

"I shall endeavor to protect myself, though I should be glad of the loan of a steady horse."

"When are you leaving?" the alderman asked.

"By noon if possible, though I am willing to wait a few hours, if necessary, to acquire a mount."

"Well, the only horse I can spare you just returned from a hurried trip to Summit at my behest. Perhaps if you can delay your departure until tomorrow mid-morning or noon at the latest. It is almost noon right now."

Martin smiled. "Thank you, Alderman. I shall depart as soon as the horse is fit to travel."

"I will have it brought to the inn tomorrow, by noon,” the alderman said.

Martin sighed. "Alderman Silvestri, I cannot brook any unnecessary delay. If you would be so kind, please have the horse brought to the inn this evening, so that it may be ready to bear me off tomorrow morning." He smiled again, thinly. "I shan't run the poor beast into the ground, I promise."

"I prefer to keep my horses in my own stables, thank you. One wonders whether they took any time to teach you to be thankful in that Academy of yours," He he seems really angry now. "The horse will be brought over at my convenience and that of my servants, not a moment sooner. Now, if you will excuse me, I have to finish preparing for the hearing."

"Very well," said Martin with a shrug. "As you will. Thank you for your hospitality, Alderman Silvestri. As to your... business... I hope it was worth it. Good day."

Martin turned and walked to the door. He was seen out by the butler who was waiting outside the door.

Martin headed back to the Golden Plough, and managed to make it a good thirty yards down the road before he started hyperventilating.

“Wow,” he thought. “The hyperventilating didn’t last so long this time.”

Back at the inn, Martin asked the innkeeper whether anyone in town might have a horse for sale, rent or trade.

"Could be," Wilson replied, laconically. "I'll send a boy around to inquire." After a long pause,
"How much you willing to pay?"

"That depends on the quality of the horse. I only want to travel to Twelve Trolls and back, so renting a horse would be best, if possible. I'll be in my room if you hear anything." Martin smiled, friendlily. "Thank you, Wilson."

"Tis nothing," the innkeeper replied. "Will you be having lunch in the common room or should I send something up?"

"No need," says Martin. "The Alderman already offered me food and drink. Most hospitable of him, really."

Wilson nodded and went back to his business

------------------

Martin went up to his room, and spent the afternoon looking over his maps and his journal and his spell book. He finally took the time to cast the Comprehend Languages he had prepared from his recently regained spellbook, and translate the names of places and features on his map that he had traced over in elven. Labels like “City of Ash”, “Dragon Spires of Death” and “Little Folk” piqued his interest.

The day waned. The shadows grew long, and still he felt no fatigue and not a bit of food or drink had passed his lips. He had been laying awake in bed for over an hour when he realized, Lacan’s Demise had kicked in! (113)

Martin leapt out of bed, relit a candle and sat to pour over his spells, maps and journals some more.

--------------------------------------------------------

Notes

(113) DM’s Note: Lacan’s Demise is the name of the ring that eliminates all need for food and drink after it is worn for one full week, and as long as it remains on. It also grants a +4 enhancement bonus to Constitution from the moment it is put on.

Last edited:

Remove ads