"Out of the Frying Pan"- Book IV - Into the Fire [STORY HOUR COMPLETED - 12/25/06]

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
Session #87 (part i)

Roland did not remember going to sleep, but this certainly felt like a dream.

Roland found himself sitting before a great pyramid atop a hill covered in lush jungle. The pyramid was made of great golden bricks, and it had outer tiers upon which crawling, pounced, played and slept thousands of cats of all kinds and sizes. He was separated from the pyramid by a broken stone bridge, but the gap was not so great that thought he’d have any trouble bounding over it. He could hear the rush of water echoing up from far down below. But in front of the gap sat a fascinating creature that looked up at him

The creature had the body of a lion, but the upper body and head of a human woman. She had long golden hair, pouty lips and dark eyes. She was buxom and bare-breasted, but seemed to have no sense of shame. She rolled her eyes and licking the side of her paw, brushed it through her locks.

Roland got down on one knee and looked down. He knew her to be celestial gynosphinx of a high order that served Bast directly.

“Roland Aramesia. You are between moments. You are in the space between where you were and where you will be, and by be grace of our queen and goddess I have plucked you here to give you a message,” the sphinx’s voice seemed as golden as her hair, but there was a muted sinister echo to it as well.

“Whatever I might do to further the will of my goddess,” Roland replied reverently. “I am unworthy of even the slightest bit of her attentions.”

“Humility does not suit you, Bastite,” the sphinx replied. “But you will have to forget your pride lest it obscure your vision and the scent on the wind. You are involved in weighty matters, but it may fall to you to see what others cannot or will not. The conflicts that brew in the Little Kingdoms may have far more wide-ranging repercussions. And it is not only the forces of good and evil that will be set against each other, but also those of law and chaos, and those are not as easily foreseen. The choices you and your companions make can influence the shape of things to come, whether it is the smothering security of strength or danger and peril of freedom. Choose well.”

“But how will I know?” Roland asked.

“The moment is over,” the sphinx said. “A new moment begins.”

-----------------------------------
“AND THAT WAS THE TOLL I EXTRACTED FROM YOU,” said the skeletal figure atop the gatehouse. “SO SAYS I, GANTUS - KEEPER OF THE GATE! NOW, YOU MAY LEAVE.”

The double doors out to the bridge and out of the city opened of their own accord.

“You will not keep our friends!” Ratchis disagreed, and he ran for the door into the right hand tower. The others followed.

Fire, friend, come to me again,” Bastian chanted in dwarven as they jogged up the narrow steps to the top of the tower, a small lick of flame appeared in his hand again.

The trapdoor on the right tower burst open as Ratchis leapt out of it.

“You want to die? Then die! Sagitta Magicus!” Gantus said, pointing at the Friar of Nephthys, and two arrows of bright light slammed into his chest. But Ratchis was not even slowed, he drew his great sword as he charged,

Martin leapt out of the trapdoor right after the hulking priest and sent two arrows of flame arcing over Ratchis at Gantus, and the undead thing roared as flames engulfed him, sending tattered flaming bits of his robe to fly off on the wind.

Ratchis hewed bone and sinew as he drove the undead sorcerer back with his great sword.

Bastian had made his way atop the tower as well, and ran beside Ratchis throwing his small ball of fire to burst in the Keeper’s skeletal face. It shrieked.

Martin the Green cast Bull’s Strength on Logan as the young warrior hustled past to join the melee.

“SHADOWS OF TOPALINE,” Gantus screeched into the air, leaning back broken and pained on the floor. “I RECIND THE LAWS THAT KEEP YOU FROM ENTERING MY DOMAIN, SO YOU MAY DEAL WITH THESE INTERLOPERS!”

And with that, he promptly disappeared. As two more of the ‘noggles’ appeared above them. Bastian managed to leap out of the way, but Ratchis caught a claw to the ear.

“Noggle! Noggle noggle!” they cried. But Ratchis ignored them swinging his sword wildly where the skeleton had been a moment before, convinced it was just invisible.

“It can teleport itself, just like it can others,” Martin said.

--------------------

Roland found himself in a ten foot by ten foot cell off a narrow hall. He could see a thick oaken door slightly up the hall to the left. He willed himself to shrink down to house cat form, and he slipped like a shadow between bars. Dorn was desperately working to bend the bars of his cell, and failing.

“Roland is that you?” Dorn asked the little cat.

“Meow!” Roland agreed

“Dorn! Use your weapon!” Kazrack called from a cell further down the hall, and then came the echoing ring of his flail against the lock. Dorn took his hammer from his side and began to bang on the lock to his cell as well.

“Wait!” Dorn cried between blows. “How did you get out last time?”

“By use of a spell that I was not wise enough to prepare this day even though I knew we’d have to come back through here,” Kazrack chastised himself. “Gods! I am a fool!”

“Boy, I bet Roland wishes he could talk now,” Dorn laughed.

“Meow! Meow!” Roland agreed.

“No!” Kazrack began to fumble desperately through his overstuffed back. “I just remembered I have a crowbar packed away in here!” (1)

-------------------------------

The head of another of the spindly humanoids went flying off the tower as Ratchis cleaved it off. And Logan stabbed one that bore a burn mark on the side of its head from Bastian’s produce flame through the chest, and then chopped it again to make sure it was dead.

A third of the creatures appeared and clawed at Martin, drawing blood.

“Oh my! Help!” Martin cried. Bastian stepped over and slammed the thing with his shield, but as he brought his hammer around for a follow up blow, the thing ‘popped’ away and appeared atop the watch-mage again. There was a rushing sound and Bastian instinctively dove backward. Green and black flames washed over Martin and the ‘noggle’ lay on the ground charred and shriveled, squealing weakly for a moment before it finally died.

“What the…?” Bastian stepped back.

“It’s okay…” Martin began to explain focusing his will to dispel the arcane flame, but then he saw what Bastian was looking at. Two shadows came swooping down at the bearded warrior, but he ducked and rolled away.

“In the name of Nephthys! Foul denizens of the underworld, I free you!” Ratchis cried, whipping his belt of scored and broken links above his head. The two shadows cackled with delight, and spun around to come by for a second pass.

Lentus!” Martin cast, and one of the shadows now slid like molasses against the sky. Logan ran past it cutting it through the middle with his long sword, but it came out the other side to no effect. The shadow reached out and brushed Martin’s cheek and the watch-mage felt just the slightest drain of strength. He ran for the trapdoor and Logan followed.

“Don’t wander off,” Logan called after him.

Bastian was not so fast a second time and the felt the cold touch of the other shadow even as his own weapon passed through without effect.

Having called to Nephthys to bless his great sword, Ratchis felt the satisfying tug on his blade as he brought it through the creature. The temporary magic of his sword had torn at the essence of the creature. He had hurt it.

They came swooping at him again, and again he swung even as he felt their cold strength-draining touch. However, this time the satisfying tug was followed by the shadow dwindling away to nothing. Bastian stepped in close to distract the remaining shadow, putting himself at risk, but allowing Ratchis two more devastating blows that destroyed it as well.

“We need to go find the others!” Martin said, poking his head back up through the trapdoor.

-----------------------------------------

Roland, Dorn and Kazrack listened at the door out of the dungeons, leaving two pried open cells behind them. Hearing nothing, they crept up the hall beyond towards the great chamber Gantus seemed to use as a studio for his twisted sculptures. They listened before entering the room and heard the sound of squeaking metal and a door open from the right side of the chamber.

“NOW TO DEAL WITH THOSE PESKY PRISONERS,” Gantus said, seeming unable to but give voice to his thoughts.

“You should have fled, fiend!” Kazrack cried, charging out of the hall halberd first and shattering the undead’s pelvic bone.

A burst of searing holy light exploded from the tiny black kitten and Gantus shrieked as his bones turned to powder and he was soon nothing more than a pile of dust atop some tattered rags.

Kazrack spit on it and then looked up and around.

“You think there is anything else in here we might need?” Kazrack asked, noticing the creature’s silver diadem with inset diamond he had just spit on and stowing it in his pack.

“Not unless we need dismembered hands,” Dorn replied.

The three of them made their way through the small door Gantus hand come through and found the back side of a secret door at the top of narrow steps that let out on the ground floor of the right tower.

-----------------------------

Back in the courtyard the others were frustrated by their inability to find Kazrack, Roland and Dorn.

“We should keep looking,” Martin said. “There is probably a secret door.”

Bastian nodded.

“He could have sent them anywhere,” Ratchis said. “Last time Kazrack reappeared in the sky and fell. Maybe it will happen again. Let’s wait and be alert, maybe we can catch him this time.”

Bastian nodded.

“No offense, but I’d rather let him fall,” Logan said. “He’s bound to still get hurt and end up hurting us if we try to catch him.”

“Do what you want,” Ratchis replied.

“There will be no falling,” Kazrack said jovially as he came out of the tower, Dorn and Roland (now back in human form) behind him. “The undead fiend has been destroyed.”

“And we killed the last of his annoying minions,” said Logan. “Let’s go.”

The Keepers of the Gate marched out of the city across the bridge and made their way up to the gold-rune-covered black obelisk on the side of the black roacky outcropping.

“Do we just touch it to go back?” asked Ratchis.

“Allow me a moment,” Martin the Green said, pushing up his sleeves to cast analyze portal. Bastian allowed his hawk to take off and circle the island of stone and stretch his wings for the first time since they had arrived in Topaline.

“Hmmm, the conditions and specifics about how this portal works are rather intricate,” Martin said. “But the nature of the rift in the planes in this area has upset the delicate balance of how it works. We should be able to simply return by joining hands and tracing that rune.” He pointed.

“Okay then…” Kazrack said.

“But,” Martin continued. “There is an aspect of balance to how often it lets people through. No one else can go back through until we’ve gone through.”

“So I can go through?” Bastian asked. “Because I didn’t come through this way.”

“How did you get here?” Ratchis asked the bearded man.

“I was brought here,” was all he said.

“As long as you go last you should be fine, but no one will be able to come back here until Bastian has passed back through or someone has reset the portal from this side,” Martin went on to explain.

“That works out perfectly,” Ratchis said. “We don’t want anyone coming back here and trying to harm Abderus to get to the Key Room.”

The Keepers of the Gate held hands in a line, Bastian at the rear, his hawk tucked uncomfortably under his coat, and Martin reached out and traced the rune pronouncing it. Suddenly the strange world of Topaline went away.

There was nothing. Not light, nor sensation of moving, not even a sense of a body. Just cold eternal in all directions. An eternity passed and there was a square of light and the slightest sense of self in a rigid, frozen body tumbling in an inky void. The square grew bigger until the light was all there was.

Suddenly, the Keepers of the Gate felt themselves crash heavily onto a rubble strewn floor. They gasped in harsh air and tried to disentangle themselves, blinded again as they had been the first time through. (2)

“Someone turn on a light,” Bastian said.

“You’re blind,” Ratchis said. “We all are. We just have to wait it out.”

And wait it out they did. Less than ten minutes later they were making their back through the caverns and catacombs to the temple of Bast above.

--------------------------------
Notes

(1) DM’s Note: You know that moment that happens at least once a campaign where you comb your character sheet looking for something, anything to help? This was one of those.

(2) See Session #82

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
Ok, we're at to where we were when the boards went down. . I don't remember the exact date the update happened, but since the file was last modified on the 3rd, I choose the 4th, that seems right.

Expect another update (of brand new material) late tonight or sometime tomorrow.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
Session #87 (part ii)

Teflem, the 27th of Keent – 565 H.E.

“Oh! You’re here!” Richard the Red said with real delight as the Keepers of the Gate marched up the narrow hall into the pantry. Razzle was balancing a chair on two legs while he stood with on foot on the back rest and one on the seat. He was repeatedly drawing his rapier and performing some maneuver and then sheathing it again with impressive speed. Cordell looked up from where he was writing in a journal.

“Bastian!” Richard cried when he saw the bearded warrior step out of the shadows of the hallway. “What a surprise! Five go in and six come out! How did this happen?”

Roland looked from Richard to Bastian and his eyes narrowed. Martin the Green dropped his pack and then plopped into a chair exhaustedly.

“You know each other?” Kazrack asked.

“Richard was a frequent visitor to Thorad-Klen when I stayed with them,” Bastian said. “He was a friend of the chieftain and the shaman.”

“Thorad-Klen? That sounds almost dwarven,” Kazrack said.

“It is… Kind of…” Bastian said by way of explanation. (1)

“What were you doing in Thorad-Klen?” Martin asked his fellow watch-mage.

“It pays to know all kinds of people, Martin,” Richard winked.

“How long were we gone?” Ratchis asked.

“You weren’t gone all that long,” Richard said, scratching under the rings of his auburn beard.

“How long?” asked Ratchis, who dropped his pack to the ground.

“Little less than a day and a half,” Richard replied. The party let go a collective sigh. “I am more than a little curious about what exactly lays on the other side of the portal. Do enlighten us.”

“Yes,” Cordell said, dipping his quill in a bottle of ink. “I will make note of it for the archives of the Church of Thoth.”

“That’s nice,” Roland said, clucking his tongue. “But we can discuss it upstairs.”

“That paladin is still up there, dutifully fulfilling the promise he made to you,” Richard the Red said. “It is best we talk down here out of his ear shot. No need for him to know too much.”

The Keepers of the Gate agreed and recounted a fast and loose version of the events in Topaline.

“What do you think that skeletal sorcerer was?” Richard asked Martin.

“I thought it might be a lich, but aside from its ability to teleport people away, its magical power seemed limited,” Martin said.

“You should check the diadem you said you found on it and make it is not a phylactery,” Richard said. “The lich’s spirit might be housed there waiting for a chance possess someone.”

Kazrack fetched the diadem from his pack and a quick detect magic allayed their fears.

“And Bastian, how did you get there? Did you take the aid of some fiend?” Richard asked with a wide smile.

“Fiend? No. It was no fiend,” Bastian said with a straight face. (2)

“Has there been any word from Norena?” Roland changed the subject.

“No,” Richard replied, and Razzle shook his head sadly.

The priest of Bast attempted a sending to his fellow priest, but there was no response.

”We can’t waste any more time,” Ratchis said. “We need to go to the appointed spot on the ridge and wait for the proper time. These things aren’t exact.”

“We need to find Norena,” Roland complained. “She has been gone six days and her companions do not seem the least bit upset.”

“Norena is big girl,” Richard the Red said.

“Don’t ever let Norena hear you call her big,” Razzle laughed.

“So where are we going exactly?” Richard asked Ratchis.

“You’ll know when we get there,” Ratchis said.

“I am still not sure we should bring him,” Kazrack said.

“You’re never going to trust me, are you?” Richard asked the Keepers of the Gate with a smile.

“Why should we?” asked Ratchis.

“Because I have always told you the truth,” Richard replied without pause.

The Keepers of the Gate ascended into the temple proper, where the Company of the Impervious Ward was still camped. Heriot of the Ironstaff was conscious once again, and she shot dirty looks at Martin as the group made to leave.

“We have kept our part of the agreement and will leave on the morrow,” said Sir Clerebold of Thoth.

“I thought it was the day after tomorrow that you had agreed to leave,” Roland commented.

Clerebold’s fair features grew red as he stood, showing more emotion than he had during the entire combat between the two groups a couple of days earlier. “Do you mock me?”

“No, sir… No, he does not,” Martin the Green said, raising his hands to smooth things over. “Tomorrow will be fine. And it is my sincere hope that this situation does not leave you ill-favored by your order or your god.”

“Either way, there is much to atone for,” Clerebold said, sitting back down.

----------------------------

Outside the winds whipped wildly, seemingly in all directs, wrapping cloaks around bodies and branches about trees. The winds swirled up all the ash that had fallen across the landscape obscuring vision to just under a dozen feet in any direction. Alternately covering their mouths and shielding their eyes the Keepers of the Gate, joined now by Richard the Red, Cordell of Thoth, and Razzle Greyish lined up and began to march south as best they could. Ratchis led the way, planning on taking a wide berth as possible around Summit.

But a little over an hour later, when he was going veer their path more westward, the winds pushed all the ash back towards the valley, revealing glittering autumn sunlight streaming in from the east. It was reaching noon. Scouting far ahead, Ratchis noticed a line of men hurrying eastward down the ridge away from Summit. It looked as if even the last bit of militia left behind were now evacuating in light of the new events in the valley.

“Nephthys, show mercy on those men,” the Friar said aloud, and then hurried back to report what he had seen to the others.

As the half-orc ranger led the group at a hurried pace past the abandoned village, the winds in the valley twisted the cloud of ash into a violent funnel of gray and black. The funnel raised way up into the sky and spread out across the horizon to cover the sun once again. It had gone from day to night, back to dreary day, and soon it felt like night again. Below they could see the area of the valley floor that had once been a steaming mist-covered swamp (3), and later a jagged rent spewing smoke and fire (4), explode upward, extending a cone of earth nearly twenty feet high about its perimeter.

“Is everything okay?” Bastian sent a thought to his familiar, N’kron, as the hawk flew way above in circles, and then suddenly began to dive to the eastern ridge edge.

“Danger! Danger!” the animal’s fear coating the back of Bastian’s throat. He instinctively crouched and looked around.

There were cries of alarm as stones and molten earth began to fall about them, setting trees and grass ablaze. Ratchis barely dodged a ball of flame that singed his natty locks as he leapt.

Everyone began to run as the hail of fire and stone turned into another of ash that turned out to be cold and smell like… snow?

“Things are getting strange,” Roland said, and the earth shook.

They pushed on only stopping once to make sure every had drank enough water and to eat some hard tack.

“We are being scryed,” Martin announced as they got up to continue.

“At least we know it isn’t Richard,” Kazrack said, grimacing at the crimson watch-mage.

“It is Mozek!” Martin said, uncovering his eyes from having concentrated to see who it might be. He had seen the warty green-skinned gnome with his white-green hair and smoldering green eyes. He scratched the surface of a crystal ball with one of his thick black claws.

“Lehrothronar! Keeper of Secrets! Block this fiend from listening to our plans and portents!” Kazrack chanted, shaking his bag of runestones.

“Good work, Karack!” Martin said, when he saw the otherwise invisible sensor disappear.

“Who is Mozek again?” Roland asked, creeping up in panther form. (5)

“I will never get used to that,” Kazrack said, eyes opened in amazement at the talking cat.

“That is what you said about my changing at all,” Roland replied.

“Well, I haven’t gotten use to that either,” the dwarf retorted.

“He is half-demon and half-gnome,” Martin said answering the question.

“And he ate our friend,” (6) Ratchis said, coming over to hurry them along. The whole valley and ridge still rumbled and shook every thirty minutes or so.

Evening had fallen and they were in sight of the strange formations of mica atop the ridge (7) when a heavy hail began to fall shooting out of the dark clouds hanging over Greenreed Valley. There were more cries of alarm and pain, and then another great explosion. The rocking of the earth left them all stunned as a column of flame shot out of the valley into the sky merging with the clouds and wind to become a funnel of flame, shooting streaks in all directions.

“Everyone to me!” Martin the Green cried over the din, holding his stone cube over his head. “I will protect us all in the cube.”

“Cube?” Cordell stepping over obediently, shield over his head.

“You have an example of the Worfel Kraft?” Richard the Red asked, with true amazement in his voice. “Wherever did you get it?”

“It was a gift from the Tree That Grows Backwards,” Martin replied, activating the setting to keep out everything as everyone crammed into one small spot.

“Kind of cramped in here,” Razzle complained, he was crouched down and pressed against Roland.

“The company could be worse,” Roland flirted and winked still in panther-form and flicked his tail on Razzle. The half-elf looked nervously from side to side.

“All of the elemental planes are breaking through at once,” Martin told the others as they witnessed winds rip the funnel of flame apart as quickly as it has come into being. Stone and flying flame battered the blue cubic field, but none came through.

But only a few moments later things had calmed down enough to allow Martin to deactivate tthe Wurfel Kraft, and less than a half hour after that the valley was quiet again as a mist began to rise in it.

“Hey look at that!” Razzle said, pointing to the northwest; to the place called ‘the Amphitheatre’. There were over a dozen little fires burning all along top of it; scattered to and fro. “Those are those monks, right?”

“Is that where we have to go?” Richard asked Ratchis.

“No,” the half-orc replied.

“Is this the place then?”

“No.”

“Then why not go there now?” Richard asked.

“Because we have to wait for someone else,” Ratchis replied.

A rudimentary camp was set up and Bastian and Kazrack took the first watch, while Martin, affected by Lacan’s Demise, (8) studied his journals and notes by candlelight, preparing for the trip into Hurgun’s Maze. The others all slept, except Richard the Red, who faded from view once again.

Bastian called out mentally to N’kron, “What is it like up there?”

The hawk was flying high above the camp in wide circles taking in the night with its excellent vision.

“The air burns my eyes and my breath,” the hawk replied. “This place is foul. I thirst.”

Bastian summoned his familiar back down to him, and as the bird landed on his shoulder he sat down took off his helmet and called out in dwarven chanting. In a moment, the helmet was filled with fresh water and the hawk was perched on the side drinking its fill.

“What was that?” Kazrack asked the bearded man. “Something about ‘call to the water’ or something? It sounded like dwarven, but I am not sure I heard right. What was that?”

“It was dwarven,” Bastian replied in his always even tone. “Or at least the dialect of it spoken by the people of Thorad-Klen. It is what their shaman taught me when he showed me his ways.”

”To… To…” Kazrack stammered. “To summon demons? What is a shaman?”

“Well, not demons,” Bastian said. “Various powers…"

“This does not seem right,” the dwarf stood and sulked around the camp doing his watching with a heavy silence

“I am sorry you feel that way,” Bastian said.

Kazrack stormed over. “Why? Why would this barbarian warlock cast his foul spells in the tongue of my people?”

Bastian, who had stood as well to look down at the dwarf, shrugged. “The dwarves taught them long ago. I did not learn that many details of their history.”

“I must ask you that you never cast one of your spells on me,” Kazrack said, holding back anger. Martin the Green who had walked over shot the dwarf a look that said ‘keep your voice down’. “Even if it is to help me.”

Bastian shrugged again. “If that is what you want.”

Martin pulled Bastian away to talk more about magic, allowing Kazrack to go back to keeping watch.

“So you practice witchcraft?” Martin asked Bastian.

Bastian frowned. “I do not call it that.”

“But you do summon spirits and they imbue you with spells?” Martin asked. “And sometimes they ask things of you?”

Bastian nodded.

”Is that how you got to Topaline?” Martin asked.

Bastian nodded again. “There is a dao… Do you know what a dao is? (9) I can summon him and through him I was contacted by an intermediary, some power that I was able to negotiate with for transport to the demi-plane.”

“What kind of power?”

“I don’t know,” Bastian said. “It appeared as a pillar of flame in darkness that spoke.”

Martin sighed. “We may have need you to summon dao again,” he said. “It might have helpful knowledge about Hurgun’s Maze or the planar disturbances in the valley.”

Bastian nodded again.

Logan and Razzle were given the middle watch, and near the end of it Martin napped the two hours of sleep required of him to prepare spells once again.

Anulem, the 28th of Keent – 565 H.E.

Martin snapped awake when his two hours were up. It was still dark.

“Martin! I went exploring and found some eggs shells!” Thomas was squealing with delight in his mind.

“Thank you, Thomas,” Martin thought back. He scratched his familiar under the head and sat up looking around in the darkness; feeling that just something wasn’t right.

And then it hit him. There was no one awake and watching! Martin the Green stood and looked around. Cordell and Razzle were gone and there was of course no sign of Richard. He woke the others and explained how their recent companions were gone, including Logan.

“Hmph! Logan?” Kazrack asked shaking off sleep and sounding disappointed.

“He was probably still mad at me for hitting him with that spell,” Roland suggested. (10)

“More than likely he was in Richard the Red’s employ all along,” Martin said. “Either that or Richard charmed him. He does that a lot.”

“But where did they go and for what reason?” asked Bastian in his usual calm demeanor. In a way, he seemed the most confused by the turn of events. “I thought Richard and his companions were your allies.”

“Uneasy allies at best,” Martin replied.

“We knew we were taking a chance by letting him come,” Ratchis said. “He probably figured out enough that he figures he can guess how to get into the Maze without us, and maybe he convinced Logan that he’d be less picky than we are about what kind of behavior he’d tolerate.”

There was a long silence and a cold pre-dawn wind blew up from the south bringing fresh air with it.

“The sun will be up soon,” Ratchis said. “Let’s move camp somewhere else, maybe that will throw them off, though I doubt it. We can then prepare our spells and then get ready for the first lights. From what we saw in the map room I don’t think we will be able to see the beam of light until the sun is fully above the horizon, but we should get into position, because we can’t be sure.”

“Actually, I don’t think the beam of light will appear until tomorrow at dawn,” Martin said.

“Today is the last day of fall,” Ratchis said.

“But tomorrow should be when the day is equal light and dark,” Martin said. “If I remember my astronomy class correctly.”

Ratchis was silent for a moment. “I think you’re right, but we’ll check today to be safe.”

The Keepers of the Gate began to march further westward, creeping past the open area where the mica riddled the ridge and making for some brush that marked the beginning of the light forested southwestern portion of it.

Light had just begun to appear in the east, and Ratchis was pointing out a small clearing on the southern edge of the ridge as a place to camp, when there was a great disturbance down there as just outside the valley.

They saw a blonde armored warrior hustling with a drawn sword, leaping over brush and making a beeline for the area of the base of the ridge where Roland and Ratchis had waited the many days before. (11)

“Gods damn that pig-f*cker and the grubber and the ponce and all of them pansies!” the warrior swore, his voice echoing against the ridge wall. He stopped and looked around. It was Gunthar.

It was then that Ratchis noticed the score of orcs breaking through the trees after the Neergaardian and the great dire boar that charged amid their ranks.

He pointed it out to the others.

“I wish we had had a chance to prepare our spells,” Martin complained.

End of Session #87

Last edited:

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
Notes:

(1) Among the barbarian tribes of Northern Central Derome-Delem, the Thorard-Klen are one of the few that are not nomadic. Instead, they live in an abandoned dwarven stronghold and have adopted many aspects of dwarven culture and language into their own, even though they are human.

(2) DM’s Note: Bastian’s player rolled the best bluff check of his life.

(3) See Session #18

(4) See Session #77

(5) DM’s Note: The PCs all went up a level (except for Bastian) after the adventure in Topaline. One of Roland’s gained abilities at 9th level was the ability to speak in his human voice while in cat-form.

(6) See Session #17

(7) This is where the party expects the light of the sun to create the beam that points out the way into Hurgun’s Maze. (See Session #77)

(8) DM’s Note: You can read about Lacan’s Demise here.

(9) A dao is an earth jinn.

(10) See Session #82

(11) See Session #79

Last edited:

handforged

First Post
Your descriptions of the elemental fury surrounding the valley is quite amazing. I can't wait to see what happens next. Bastian's character brings an interesting tone to the party that Logan had been holding as the not-so-good one.

~hf

Gold Roger

First Post
Bastian grew about 100% more interesting with this update.

Things are about to get interesting.

Here a list of the groups interested in Hurguns Maze:

-The PC's and Gunthar

-Morzak

-Morzaks mom, miss evil unique Succubus

-The monks of "Anubis" (Rahkefet)

-Richard and his group

-Suposedly the dragon and her orcs (was there an actual instance of proof she's interested in the maze)

-Then there's the dragonhunting wildcards that may still make an appearance: Deebo and his Trolls and Tanweil, the draconic lizardman.

-If Hurgun still lives he may have a say in things as well.

handforged

First Post
Gunthar, Logan, and now Bastian all have aspects that may rub the rest of the party the wrong way as far as moral decisions and standards. It brings a nice tension to the group, in the same way that the faithfulness of Kazrack vs Roland brings tension. It makes for a good story.

I really like Bastian specifically as well. I can't wait to see what his promise to Kazrack may bring.

~hf

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
DM Commentary for Sessions #82 through Session #87

The Keepers of the Gate’s adventures in the Mystic City of Topaline are based on the Dungeon Magazine adventure “Beyond the Glittering Veil” (from issue #31), which was an adventure designed to introduce 2E Psionics to an AD&D game – however, by the time to run this adventure came around I still had not found (or come up with) a psionics system for Aquerra that I liked (I since have: Green Ronin’s Psychic Handbook will be the rules for “psionics” in Aquerra (with some tweaks)) – but since I could not divorce myself of the idea of using one of the Mystic demi-plane cities for the set of Hugun’s Key Room, and since I was lazy and did not get around to designing a new one – I just took Topaline from that Dungeon adventure, essentially moving it from where I had originally placed it in Aquerra.

You see, when building areas of the setting I almost always tie them to adventures that I like and want to run one day.

Anyway, I stripped all the references to psionics out, ignoring the need for rules (since they would not be meeting any psionic foes) and anything left over would be “mysterious powers”. It worked out fine. The physical description of the city and the luminescent sea and the red suns and all of that were my contributions, and is different from the description in the adventure. Also in the original adventure the PCs go to the city to investigate the source of shadows that are infesting a town that are coming from an old obelisk that opens portals. This “shadow infestation” is what would have happened in and around Summit if I had not decided that Finn & crew had succeeded in stopping the priest of Seker. (See Session #49 – the Tale of Finn Fisher).

The skeletal creature in the gatehouse was a Crypt Thing. The use of 1E Fiend Folio monsters always endears me to an adventure, and this was no exception – except of course I had to convert him. I also gave him three levels of sorcerer. As I have said in previous commentaries, even though I do not allow the sorcerer as a class (preferring the flavor of the witch class I have re-written a handful of times), I will use sorcerer casting levels as an add-on to creatures I want to have innate magical abilities. Looking back now, I realize I could have given him twice as many sorcerer levels and it might have made for a more challenging combat. He kind of ended up having a glass jaw despite all his hit points since he did not have the magic to back up his bluster. Oh, and I doubled his hit dice for some reason.

Gantus (medium-sized skeletal undead)
HD: 12d12, hps: 91 – Al: NE
Initiative: +6 (dex + improved initiative), Spd: 30 feet (6 boxes)
AC: 20 (+2 dex, +5 natural, +3 def bonus); w/ mage armor: 24; flat-footed: 15; touch 15
Atk: Claw +10 melee (1d6+1)
Special Attacks: Teleport Other, Spell-Use
Special Qualities: Undead, Darkvision, DR 5/ blunt, magic, Turn Resistance +4, Tongues (at will)
Saves: Fort: +4, Ref: +6, Will +10
Stats: Str: 12, Dex: 14, Con: -, Int: 12, Wis: 14, Cha: 15
Feats: Skill Focus (craft), Dodge, Combat Casting, Improved Initiative, Skill Affinity (Appraise + Craft)
Spell Progression: 6 / 6
Spells Known: 0 - Detect Magic, Touch of Fatigue, Read Magic, Disrupt Undead, Mage Hand; 1st – Magic Missile, Mage Armor, Charm Person

Notice I did not include CR or skills. I just can’t be bothered with that stuff for an NPC that will not be recurring, or when I think there is no way it will come into play. On the other hand, for some NPCs I insist on figuring that stuff out (well, the skills, never CR – CR is for suckers!). Also, I added the tongues ability, and changed the Teleport Other ability from being random to being to any location in the Crypt Thing’s ‘domain’. What constitutes its domain? Eh. Whatever. The place it lives and the area it controls. If I were publishing it in a module or something I would detail it, but I see no need to give myself extra work. Also, teleporting individual members of the party throughout Topaline would likely have led to a TPK and would have been a pain in the ass to run with the PCs all separated.

As for its feats, again whatever. I imagine Gantus had been there a long time and was bored and grew more and more obsessed with his undead sculpting than improving his ability to guard.

The ‘boggles/noggles’ were also in the adventure without much explanation for why they were there, but I see them as some kind of mutated sub-species of the Mystics profoundly changed and stupefied by the planar energy. At some later date I will probably come up with some advanced form with psionic powers – which ideally is what I would have liked to have done with this encounter. They are an old monster that first appeared in some 1E module and later in the 1E MM2. The players hated them! They were not so physically tough, but they had DR and were constantly blinking around. Though my obnoxious squealing of “noggle! noggle!” every time I rolled the dice for them might have contributed to their feelings.

Ju-ju zombies… I love ju-ju zombies. And I think running fights are a lot of fun. The players certainly seemed to like the challenge of fighting through a possibly unlimited number of zombies to get to a goal.

Chochokpi : I honestly don’t remember where the idea for Chochokpi the Tree That Grows Backwards came from. I know I had a thread about it in the Rat Bastard DM’s Club, but an old version that no longer exists so I cannot trace back its roots (no pun intended), but really it was something that was inspired by those strange cosmic Marvel Comics characters that make their appearance every now and again, like the In-Betweener and the Living Tribunal. You can read more about what Chochokpi is on the Aquerra wiki here. However, the real reason to put Chochokpi there (no, he wasn’t in the original adventure) was to mix in some of the weird chronal stuff I had hinted at along the way, and as a means of giving the party fairly powerful magical items to aid them in Hurgun’s Maze, which I was in the middle of finally detailing and I knew it was going to be the biggest challenge they had faced to date, as well it should be, since it was meant to be the climax of the campaign.

I have no stats for Chochokpi, but if I had had to run him in a combat I would have as a gargantuan treant with 0 speed, that could reach any square in the pyramid and more and a 5’ step anywhere in there would have drawn an attack of opportunity. I would also have given him 10 or so levels of druid (figuring he has fewer levels as he grows backwards), but as I figured, it never came to that.

As for the details of the metaphysics of it, I didn’t worry too much about it. I mean, here we are talking about unfathomable cosmic craziness and the essence of time and space and divinity and blahitty-blah. It just has to sound good.

The Slaadi: Just another chance to use more 1E Fiend Folio monsters. I see these chaotic monsters just leaping around the planes wreaking havoc and injecting stuff with their eggs. So I just imagined a few of them who somehow accidentally ended up in Topaline and were happy to kill.

Introducing Bastian: I really wanted to try to find a way to introduce Bastian before the party went into the demi-plane. However, Bastian’s player (Jesse) could not join us until after that adventure had already started, and not wanting to wait any longer I figured I could add some long term plot stuff as a means of including him (the mystery of how he got there and what the pillar of fire really was), with the realization that at this point in the campaign it was highly unlikely we’d ever resolve it. Oh, well. . . I know exactly what to start with if we ever have an Out of the Frying Pan reunion game. ;) Also by working it out with the player so that Bastian had an estranged connection to Gothanius (and later it appears to Richard the Red and somehow has knowledge of the dragon and the orc army), I was giving him motivation for being involved and for the PCs to think his help might be useful.

I had to use Abderus’ status as a divine creature to smooth over the usual paranoia of a new potential member of the group as to not have it derail the campaign with too much inner-turmoil that would distract them from the final adventure itself. I also used him as a source for some spells for Martin that would make navigating Hurgun’s Maze a little easier.

The Questions: I consider this portion of the adventure a near total failure. I like the idea of riddles. I mean, riddles are a part of the fantasy genre and folktales and myths and the like. And ‘Riddles in the Dark’ is probably my favorite chapter in the Hobbit, but riddles in RPGs are hard to make “fair” in any kind of game sense. Riddles are hard, and typically people are playing characters smarter than they are (or in some cases stupider) – so how fair is it to have the character’s ability to solver riddles lay solely on the player, and how fun is it to just make them roll Intelligence or Wisdom or Knowledge skill checks and say they solved it or didn’t based on a roll?

I am thinking something that might work in the future is build some kind of riddle that works in stages or is has multiple parts and then give hints or partial answers based on the success of Knowledge rolls that make actually solving it easier without taking away the fun of actually coming up with an answer.

But this time the way I handled it was creating riddle-like open-ended questions, that I figured the players could have fun discussing in character and then have Abderus make his decision based not really on the answer, but the reasoning of the answer. This was something I developed with the help of the Rat Bastards and that I was excited about – but I think all I really did was create a session or so of frustrated playing and annoyance with the questions and the situation. So, in trying to avoid what riddles can do, I still got the same basic outcome, except it took longer! Just goes to show that no matter how long you’ve been DMing, you always have things to learn and adapt to and can still make mistakes. On the other hand, taking chances and looking for new ways to accomplish old things is the only way you are going to discover the things that do work.

Anyway, this is basically what I was looking for in terms of answers (but keeping an open-mind for other possibilities I had not thought of that could blow me away):

Question 1:
“Up in an arm-like bough of Chochokpi is a tiny bird’s nest, clutched in its fingered branches, where a newly hatched bird sits, just out of your sight above you. Tell me, is that baby bird alive or dead?”
For this I was looking for something expressed how fragile and uncertain life is. Something along the line of “Whether the bird is alive or dead is in Chochokpi’s hands” or If its mother is there to nurture it. The answer the party did give seemed to literal for Abderus’ tastes.

Question 2:
“There was a man who treated his son like a servant. And poorly at that. He beat him and gave him only the scraps of the fine dinners he would eat himself. He gave his son the worst and most menial jobs and never showed him an ounce of trust, except to say, ‘You are free to go whenever you please. Ask for it and you will get your due inheritance in gold and you may be on your way.’ His son never took this offer. The question is, was this man’s son a slave?”
For this one I was looking for an exploration of what it means to serve and what it means to be in bondage and where duty lies in there. Unfortunately, I thought that Abderus would also be looking for the kind of unity from the party in terms of their answers – A unity that would display the party’s ability to endeavor in their quest in the Maze, and Roland’s apparent dissatisfaction with the answer tainted it.

Question 3:
“If I offered to show you the Key Room and explain everything about it that I know,” Abderus paused. “Would you be willing to leave one of you behind to guard the library and the Key Room in my stead and take over my duty for however long, knowing that you would not die of old age no matter how long it was, but that the wait might change you irrevocably nonetheless?”
I really had no idea here. I just figured I would make the players sweat knowing it’d be cheesy to choose the NPC, and then have the NPC (Dorn) offer to be the one to stay. I considered having Logan be the one to stay behind and thus rid myself of him, but in the end it really did not fit his character.

Getting Rid of Logan: Logan’s player (mmu1) left the game after session #81, which unfortunately was right after the party got to Topaline – otherwise I would not have had him come along as I was not in the mood to drag around an extra NPC. Thankfully, Martin’s player (Eric M.) took over play of Logan in combat, much as he did for Gunthar whenever I had a lot of the foes to run. In the end, I had him run off with Richard the Red based both on a suggestion by his player and as something that just seemed to make sense. I think how Richard came off to Logan as compared to other watch-mages like Martin or Logan’s father (who we cut as a very stern figure in our discussions of the character’s background), there was more bond over how they saw things.

The campaign now stood at the cusp of the end and honestly, I was really freaking out about the result and really afraid that all the build up and anticipation for this final chapter would fizzle out and not live up to what it pretended it could be. I even had threads in the RBC moaning about it and looking for affirmation from my fellow DMs. At this point I had a lot of loose threads getting all unraveled nearly at once and I had no time left to delay bringing them into play.

Over the next couple of sessions I would have to:

- Reveal the Extent of the Orcish Force
- Open Hurgun’s Maze and allow opportunity for the party to reach the entrance
- Deal with the waiting Monks in the camp above the ‘amphitheatre’.
- Have Mozek show up to get into the Maze
- Deal with Richard and his group trying to get into the Maze

I needed to get Richard and his friends away from the Keepers of the Gate because dramatically I felt like their showdown should come closer to the end of the campaign – but I also needed it to actually happen for there to be some kind closure with Richard who has been a specter over everything they had done since they first met him (back in Session #21). So, making him take off for whatever reason was risky. Also, I did not want to deal with so many NPCs when the confrontations with the monks or Mozek happened – as I felt like that would make it less dramatic as well. In the end, when he confronts the Keepers of the Gate within the Maze, I think it is a lot more exciting – so I am glad I did it then.

I was going on as much a ride as the players at this point, not sure how it would play out, and as you’ll see in the next session (or maybe the one after that?) you will read about them doing something I did not expect and totally making their journey in the Maze a lot easier for them, but that is for the next commentary.

Leveling: I awarded XP after this set of sessions, making sure to give enough so that everyone (except Bastian) went up a level. I knew this would likely be the last time I gave XP during the campaign. The next time would be the last time. So at this point, Ratchis, Martin and Kazrack were 10th level (the highest level reached in any campaign I have ever run), Roland reached 9th (and got the ‘Voice of Man’ class ability), and Bastian remained at 8th.

Last edited:

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
Gold Roger said:
Bastian grew about 100% more interesting with this update.

Things are about to get interesting.

Here a list of the groups interested in Hurguns Maze:

-The PC's and Gunthar

-Mozek

-Mozek's mom, miss evil unique Succubus

-The monks of "Anubis" (Rahkefet)

-Richard and his group

-Suposedly the dragon and her orcs (was there an actual instance of proof she's interested in the maze)

-Then there's the dragonhunting wildcards that may still make an appearance: Deebo and his Trolls and Tanweil, the draconic lizardman.

-If Hurgun still lives he may have a say in things as well.

And six of those items will be resolved in the next. . oh. .. let's say 15 sessions. I am pretty sure actual session # of the last one was 103.

It is about to get pretty crazy. . .

Remove ads