"Out of the Frying Pan"- Book IV - Into the Fire [STORY HOUR COMPLETED - 12/25/06]

Elder-Basilisk

First Post
el-remmen said:
So, would you rather have the last session in one big installment, or broken up into two smaller ones?

That depends. Does one big installment delay the delivery of that installment? Or does it speed up the delivery of the second installment?

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
Elder-Basilisk said:
That depends. Does one big installment delay the delivery of that installment? Or does it speed up the delivery of the second installment?

I guess it would slightly delay.

I just realized the last session would be longer than I originally thought and so was considering breaking it up - since I got to a natural break in the story that would work for that, but I think I will wait until after tonight's writing and see how long it will take me to put up the second part - and if it seems like it will be a bit, I will post the first half.

Actually, the first half is a huge amount of info dump, so a break might not be a bad idea.

Manzanita

First Post
2 installments are better. I often can't get enough time to get through a large installment in one swoop.

Nice to see some things wrapping up. I should have written down more of my questions as we went, b/c I can't remember any off the top of my head.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
Well I decided to break it up into two installments. . .

Also, I made a slight change to the end of Session #102. Not a big deal. Before I described Hurgun as taking Norena, Cordel and Razzle away - as in out of the Maze - But later notes pointed out that that did not happen then.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
Session #103 (part 1 of 2) (1)

“Scartesh?” Kazrack stepped back towards the table, fist clenched.

“The orcs that took the outer level of the fortress were acting as agents of Glamorgana the Green,” Hurgun said. “We had long ago brokered a deal regarding her aid in such an occurrence after I performed a favor for her.”

Kazrack’s mouth opened, but he could not make words. He just jerked his head as if suffering palsy.

“That clears some things up,” Ratchis said. “My people, the Darksh, worshiped the dragon, and we saw her flying over their camps as we returned from Nikar. (2) If Scartesh serves her, then they would have accepted them as their leader when they had rejected him before.” (3)

Hurgun of the Stone led Norena of Bast, Razzle Greyish and Cordell of Thoth through one portal as Scartesh, his ogre bodyguard, Dumashg and a stooped black orc wearing a grass skirt and a necklace of bones stepped in through another.

Ratchis stood and stepped slightly before his friend, moving from watching Scartesh, to the ogre, to the black orc, and then back again. Kazrack murmured a prayer for wisdom and patience. None of them were armed.

“Bastian,” Scartesh said in his amicable growl. “It is good to see you again.”

Bastian stood and walked over the half-orc and shook his hand, but gave a wary eye to Dumashg and to the black orc.

“It has been a little while,” the bearded warrior responded softly and smiled.

Scartesh reached down onto the table and grabbed up a strip of beef and began to chew, taking in each of the Keepers of the Gate one at a time.

“Hurgun said the watch-mage’s dead,” he finally said. “That true?”

“Yes,” Bastian said.

“Well…” Scartesh scratched at his thick black naps, and looked out at everyone from under his dark eyes. “I was trying to figure out the best way to tell you… But I think I have to just come out and say it… Bluntly.”

He poured himself an ale.

“What you saw outside? That is just a small example of my forces,” Scartesh said. He licked his dark lips, and nodded at the mug of ale, seeming to really enjoy it. The ogre reached for some, but its hand was slapped away. “Just a taste of what I have been able to accomplish… I plan to make some changes in this part of Derome-Delem, and I need you all to help me. You all have a role to play in making this work out the best for everyone involved; even the watch-mage. It is a shame he died.”

“And what is it you have done?” Kazrack asked through gritted teeth.

“I have done what no one has done since the days of General Awzturk Boarblood, (4) uniting many disparate orc tribes for our mutual benefit and that of the world,” Scartesh said. He had been fighting a smile, but it blossomed on his face as he spoke the words. “And there are more tribes pledging themselves to us all the time. I have even made contact with our normally reclusive black brethren under the mountains. And we goblin allies, and others…”

“Yeah, yeah,” Gunthar scoffed, and poured himself yet another glass of wine.

“After nearly two decades of work, I have overcome the resistance and tribal hatreds, and we shall carve a nation for ourselves, not for some evil wizard, self-aggrandizing priest or petty warlord who would use orcs as fodder for their own glory and power, but for ourselves, as other races have done and prospered. We will not destroy ourselves by trying to destroy the world of men, but take our place in it.” He stood taller when he spoke, and his gaze fell to Ratchis many times.

“Yeah, that’ll go over well,” Gunthar slurred. Scartesh snarled and shot the Neergaardian a look.

“Well, that is a… um… worthy goal, I guess…” Roland said, and sucked down a glass of wine.

“Yes, it is,” Scartesh said. “And you will have to take the role I had for the watch-mage, Bastite” Scartesh said.

“Oh?” Roland looked up curious. “I will try to be accommodating, but I really must know the details.”

“You seem to know a great deal about us. How is that so?” Ratchis asked.

“I have my sources,” Scartesh replied. “Not the least of which are the druids of the Circle of the Thorn. (5) Regardless, now that the Garvan gnomes and the king of Gothanius have made peace against us…”

“They have? Against you? What do you mean?” Bastian asked.

“The arrival of my forces made them both realize they needed to be allies if they were to deal with the multitude of orcs,” Scartesh explained. “It is amazing how an outside threat can unite even the fiercest of enemies… As I was saying, now that they have made peace against us, I need someone to carry the message of my offer to them. I had hoped it could be the watch-mage of Gothanius, but a Bastite will do when it comes to social graces and diplomacy.”

“And the message is?” Roland asked.

“The king must swear fealty to me,” Scartesh replied bluntly. “He and his militia have no hope of resisting us, even with the aid of the gnomes. But if he bends the knee, he may remain as ruler of this area and may even rule over his old enemies, Rhondria and Menovia when I have conquered them. I prefer the foundation of this empire to be as bloodless as possible. It would be better for all our people.”

“I am sure he will appreciate that,” Roland replied, with a smirk.

“Oh, he will not appreciate it,” Scartesh replied.

“I mean, he will understand the wisdom of it,” Roland said. “Not that he’d like it.”

“Bastian,” Scartesh turned to the bearded warrior. “You are no longer liked by your people, and for whatever role I played in that I apologize. However, your old reputation may still hold among the hunters and rangers of Archet and the western woods. I am hoping you may be of help in making the transition of power in this area a peaceful one by going to them and explaining the situation.”

Bastian was silent for a long moment, mulling his words as usual. “I am not sure of my own opinion on this matter, but I can still bring your message and explain to the best of my ability to those that will listen.”

Scartesh nodded and then looked to Kazrack. “Dwarf… I have news to give you will not like,” he said.

“You have already said much I do not like, but my like and dislikes are inconsequential to this discussion,” Kazrack replied.

“There was a great battle,” Scartesh continued. “The dwarves of the place you called Adoth-Rech, the renovated fortress? (6) It was impossible to parley with them, and they insisted on throwing their lives away in trying to stop our progress here to Greenreed Valley. Some of them escaped, and I imagine they will be bringing the news to their kind any day now, but we also have some prisoners…”

“What would you have of me…?” Kazrack asked, maintaining his temper.

Gunthar looked at Kazrack with amazement. “He just said he killed a whole bunch of stunties! You don’t even care?” (7)

Kazrack did not respond.

Scartesh eyed Gunthar, and Dumashg cracked his knuckles. The black orc continued to look down, shifting from foot to foot and occasionally letting out a little growly sighs.

“I wish for you to bring the prisoners back to Abarrane-Abaruch as a sign of good faith, and bring the leaders there my offer, so they might share it in turn with the Nauglimir Merchant Consortium, so that all the dwarves of Derome-Delem might know I plan to deal fairly with them,” Scartesh explained to Kazrack. “And the offer is thus, if the dwarves do not interfere with the founding of our empire from here all the way east to Ettinos, and up to the northern shore (8), we shall use our resources to destroy the undead forces of Dralmohir which fall in those lands, and allow the dwarves to take back any of their ancient treasures still there and found a temple or other monument to the fallen kingdom that once stood there…”

Kazrack mulled over the words.

“Do you have a scribe, or can you write this offer in your own hand?” Scartesh asked. “I do not want it forgotten or misremembered…”

“I will bring your offer,” was all Kazrack said, and in a quieter voice than normal.

“Ratchis of the Darksh…” Scartesh turned to his more monstrous fellow half-orc. “I need good lieutenants. I need men of vision who can help bring our people out of the superstition, destructive rituals, and savagery that passes for our culture. The Darksh have ever been a strong tribe; a strong-willed tribe, but their leadership is weak. I want you to kill their leader and be their leader, and make a difference for your people. I know you value freedom, but answer me this: Can a people ever truly be free if they are made to scurry along the fringes of the civilized worlds like rats? You can help them not only be truly free, but teach them how to use their freedom productively…”

Ratchis scratched his chin and narrowed his eyes. “What will the laws of this empire of yours be like?” he asked.

“They will be much like the laws of many lands in Aquerra,” Scartesh shrugged. “Those details will be dealt with when the time comes, until then there will be wars to fight and people to bring into our fold…”

“During times of peace, will slavery be allowed?” Ratchis asked, not letting go of the subject.

“There will be no slavery,” Scartesh did not pause. “Too long have our people been enslaved by others and by each other.”

“I am not sure how my own plans will intertwine with yours…” Ratchis began.

“Oh, he’ll do it!” Gunthar answered for him with a laugh.

Ratchis scowled, but nodded. “If it means a greater peace and a chance to change the fate of my people who have lived their awful lives through no fault of their own, then I shall seek them out…”

“But not today! Today we have urgent business to discuss after the requisite celebration, that is,” Roland said, raising a glass.

“Are you saying you’d like to make a toast?” Scartesh asked, pouring himself another mugful of ale. He did not offer any to his own companions.

“A toast to Hurgun a wonderful host,” Roland said, and everyone raised their glasses.

“And to the future,” added Scartesh. “May we work together for a new and better world.”

After another round, Scartesh bid them adieu. “I shall come in the morning to bring Ratchis into our camp and retrieve the prisoners… Until then…”

“Wait!” Gunthar held up a hand and stood. “I have a question.”

“Yes?”

“Well, you are allied with the dragon right?” Gunthar asked.

Scartesh nodded.

“So, wouldn’t it be a dragon empire then, and not an orc one?” Gunthar asked.

“Dragons care little for the day to day running of an empire,” Scartesh replied. “She will act as the divine right of our kind, choosing the heir to the empire and legitimizing him by her choice… As Ratchis knows, many of our kind are in awe of dragons. Without her involvement, I would not have been able to bind together as many tribes as I have.”

“Well, it seems not all orcs are bestial,” Kazrack said, looking Scartesh in the eye. “I should know that lesson better because of my friend, D’nar, but still… You have made a good impression on me, Scartesh, and if it comes to conflict, I will show you honor on the battlefield.”

Scartesh nodded, and then turned as a monodrone made to show him and his companions from the Dining Room.

Ratchis suddenly barked out in the orcish tongue to Scartesh, slamming his chest once with a fist. Scartesh nodded, gave a slight smile and left. (9)

The Keepers of the Gate immediately fell to debating Scartesh’s offers.

“Do you think what he can do what he claims; establish an orcish empire?” Kazrack asked.

“If he is allied with the dragon and he has the kinds of forces we got a glimpse of, then yes,” replied Ratchis. “I just do not know how sustainable it would be.”

“But the dragon isn’t really a dragon, right?” Bastian asked. “I mean, it is fuzzy, but I seem to recall it melted into a puddle of snow…”

“We do not know when in the future we were,” Ratchis said. “ That might have just been a guardian of the real dragon…”

“Kazrack, do you think the dwarves will agree to this offer?” Roland asked.

“It is doubtful,” the dwarf said. “Dwarves will not bend the knee to a dragon or an orc.”

“There are too many forces to oppose,” Ratchis said. “We have to have faith that a peaceful transition can happen…”

“Heh. I think Scartesh is posturing,” Roland said. “I think what he said about needing the dragon reveals how precarious his grasp on all the orc tribes really is… And I can’t help but keep thinking of the message I received from my goddess when we were in Topaline. The smothering of security? The peril of freedom? These are the choices the sphinx was talking about!” (10)

“Perhaps,” Ratchis replied. “And I have not forgotten the alliance of our two goddesses, but this is an opportunity to help my people that I never thought I would get, and I have to take it. Anyway, if Scartesh does plan to rule a savage and enslaving nation, then I want to be keep close to him in case he needs be killed.” Ratchis grew grim. “The human kingdoms have no chance against those orc forces, and while the united might of the dwarves may be able to, the humans would be wiped out no matter who they ally themselves with. At least this way, we can buy the Gothanians some time, as well…”

“But the sphinx’s riddle must be kept mind,” Roland said.

“That’s not a riddle, that’s bullsh*t,” Gunthar said. Kazrack nodded.

“Law and Chaos are spokes in the cosmic wheel as well, do not forget,” Roland said. “There are subtleties at work here.”

“Uh-huh, so when we going to go kill the dragon?” Gunthar asked, changing the subjects and looking from face to face.

“SUBTLETIES!” Roland yelled over the Neergaardian. “We need to consider well what we do here. We need to gather information!”

“Look, my short term goal is to prevent the suffering of all those innocents whose lives will be affected by this,” Ratchis said. “If that means allowing the creation of an orcish nation… I think it could be a good thing.”

“Well,” Roland took another sip of wine and stood to pour more. “My short term goal is to gain wealth, prestige and power. All in the name of good, of course, but I still want it, and I think paying the King of Gothanius a visit might be the first step in that.”

“My short term goal is to have another drink, and then bring my brother back, so we can have another drink,” Gunthar slurred. “And then go kill the dragon, marry some princesses and get to fighting orcs and taking booty and doing whatever lordly warriors do!”

“And I will travel to Abarrane-Abaruch and deliver Scartesh’s message as I have pledged to do,” Kazrack said. “The lives of those prisoners are now in my hands, and I must bring them safely back to their people. Also, I must deliver the stone with spirit of the dwarven king to the high priests there. Perhaps while I am there I might also find some weapon to help us against the dragon.”

“We already got a weapon!” Gunthar yelled. “The Can-On!”

“What about you Bastian? What do you plan to do?” Roland asked the ever-silent Gothanian.

“I will do what I told Scartesh I would do,” Bastian said, in his murmur of a voice. “If there can be peace, I want it. But if there is to war, well… This is my country and while I left when they began an unjust war, I will fight to defend it when they are warred upon unjustly.”

“Well, said,” Roland replied.

The feast wound down, and Hurgun of the Stone never made another appearance. A monodrone led the Keepers of the Gate back to the Air Room. Bellies bursting and moody from wine, they gladly slipped back into a rejuvenating sleep.

--------------------------------------------------
Notes:

(1) This session was played on Sunday, January 15th, 2006.

(2) See Session #74

(3) See the Story of Ratchis

(4) General Bloodboar Awzturk was said to have been the near-immortal off-spring of Ashronk the Boar God, Patron of Orcs. He began the First Humano-Orc War back in 197 H.E., and it lasted for 23 years.

(5) The Keepers of the Gate, before they were even known as ‘The Fearless Manticore Killers’ spent nearly a month with the monstrous druids of the Circle of the Thorn. (See Sessions #30 to #33)

(6) Kazrack spent a night in Adoth-Rech back in Session #75

(7) DM’s Note: Gunthar was still being played by Martin’s character.

(8) You can reference Martin’s map of Derome-Delem, here to get a sense of how much land he is talking about.

(9) Here Ratchis yelled in orcish custom “I am Ratchis, son of Darksh! Can you not see that I am not afraid of you?

(10) See Session #87

Manzanita

First Post
This seems more like a beginning than an end. I assume all this stuff plays into the next aquerra campaign. Pretty cool stuff, in any case. Well done El-remmen.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
Manzanita said:
This seems more like a beginning than an end. .

Every beginning is just some other beginning's end. . . ;)

Manzanita said:
I assume all this stuff plays into the next aquerra campaign.

No, not really. The next Aquerra campaign will not take place anywhere near the Little Kingdoms - though that doesn't mean the PCs in the other game might not end up passing through there. . . But it doesn't mean they will either . . .

Manzanita said:
Pretty cool stuff, in any case. Well done El-remmen.

Thanks. :)

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
Oof!

Writing the end of this thing is like writing the end of Return of the King, or something.

Every time I think I am near done I remember one last thing, and one last scene, and . . . oh, yeah so-and-so said. . .

At this point I am glad I broke it up into two installments, but this rate it might become three! But probably not. . .

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases