Overlords

RealAlHazred

Frumious Flumph (Your Grace/Your Eminence)
Originally posted by skritz_the_lizardmen:

Im just trying to compile Canon (and pseudo-canon) information about the identity of the Overlords. According to Eternal Evil, in Dragon 337, the Rajah are numbered around thirty.

Known Overlords:
  • Rak Tulkesh the Rage of War.
  • Eldrantulku the Oathbreaker.
  • Tul Oreshka the Truth in the Darkness.
  • Katashka the Gatekeeper.
  • Sul Katesh the Keeper of Secrets.
  • Draal Khatuur the Heart of Winter.
  • Tiamat(?)

RealAlHazred

Originally posted by Hellcow:

Why? Put 'em wherever you want.

I don't think Skritz is asking about locations, Bly. It seems like simple curiousity as to how many of the thirty have been identified.

And Tiamat's on the list, along with Orcus.

Tiamat was established in both Dragons of Eberron and in the 4E ECG. I personally am not familiar with Orcus being established in canon as an Overlord - is that from the Eberron conversion notes for the modules? In the 4E ECG, what's said is:

Like Tiamat, demon princes or evil gods from other settings can be used as fiendish overlords in the EBERRON setting. Yeenoghu, also known as the Beast of Butchery, could have created the gnolls as soldiers in the ancient war, and the most savage gnolls still revere this demon lord. Lolth lingers in the depths of Khyber, spinning webs to ensnare the souls of the elves and the eladrin. When using evil gods in this way, remember that they are not gods in the same sense as the Sovereign Host.

This doesn't establish Yeenoghu or Lolth as part of canon; it simply suggests that they or any others of their level could be Overlords if you want to use them in that way. In my Savage Tide conversion, I suggested that Demogorgon was essentialy a demi-Overlord - more powerful by far than a rakshasa, but not as powerful as an overlord, and as such also not completely bound, instead ruling a demiplane in Khyber.

Looking a few more in canon, you have The Scar That Abides (City of Stormreach) and Bel Shalor (4E ECG).

RealAlHazred

Looking a few more in canon, you have The Scar That Abides (City of Stormreach) and Bel Shalor (4E ECG).

I never expected the creator of Eberron would answer directly. Well, thanks. I suppose most Overlord are unnamed so DM can create their own and use them as they see fit.

RealAlHazred

Originally posted by bobiago:

The flexibility is valuable.  Personally, I like to use as much crunchy material as I am given, so being able to map a Demon Prince for which a wealth of crunch exists (Orcus) to a Rajah/Overlord for whom there is naught but fluff (Katashka) is a positive boon.
=

RealAlHazred

I prefer not using the classic Demon Lord and Archdevil. Sure, they are cool  exist in any homebrewed setting but part of the fun of Eberron is having something different. Of course, Orcus could be an Avatar of Katashka or one of his more powerful servant.

RealAlHazred

Of course, Orcus could be an Avatar of Katashka or one of his more powerful servant.

This was the approach I took with Demogorgon in the Savage Tide campaign. Among other things, one of the key points of the Overlords is that they are tightly bound, and that if they break those prisons they will wreak havoc on the world. With Savage Tide being a campaign in which Demogorgon plays an active role, where he has a court where he's personally attended by followers, where he's directly engaged in feuds with other demon princes - this was all at odds with the image of the Lords of Dust, where the Speakers of the bound Overlords meet in the ruins of their ancient citadels. So rather than just making Demogorgon an Overlord, I presented the idea of demiplanes within Khyber - which ultimately made its way into 4E with the idea that you can find passages into the Elemental Chaos by physically exploring Khyber - and made the demon princes rulers of these realms. The idea was that they were generals of that first war... subordinates of the Overlords, but now the mightiest spirits left unbound.

While you could make Orcus a servant of Katashka, presenting him as a servant of anything is a significant change to his flavor. My preference would be to say that he was Katashka's exarch in the first age... but now he has severed ties with the Lords of Dust and intends to steal Katashka's might for his own (a parallel to his core struggle with the Raven Queen). This gives him a unique twist for Eberron, and could end up with an interesting storyline where spirits loyal to the imprisoned Overlord work with the adventurers to fight the demon prince. Of course, it could be that Orcus is the only thing keeping Katashka from breaking free from his own prison... and if the adventurers truly defeat Orcus, Katashka will rise. Can they find a way to overcome both of the lords of death?

Personally, I like to use as much crunchy material as I am given, so being able to map a Demon Prince for which a wealth of crunch exists (Orcus) to a Rajah/Overlord for whom there is naught but fluff (Katashka) is a positive boon.

I prefer not using the classic Demon Lord and Archdevil.

While I'd probably go with Orcus-as-ambitious-upstart if I used him... if the issue is being able to use the crunch, but wanting a campaign that doesn't feel like you're using all the same characters from core... the flip side of taking Orcus and saying "He's an Overlord" is to simply change his name to Katashka and use all the crunch as it exists. You have your cultists, the dread Rod of Katashka, the Dark Gift of the Undying, even a renamed Doresain as one of the Lords of Dust; you're just not using the familiar name.

So essentially, the question is whether name recognition and appearance is important. If it's not, you can give all the crunch and any relevant fluff to an existing Overlord and minimize the impact on Eberron cosmology. If it is, you can just make him an Overlord, or you can find another option as described above.

RealAlHazred

Originally posted by Ogiwan:

I never expected the creator of Eberron would answer directly. Well, thanks. I suppose most Overlord are unnamed so DM can create their own and use them as they see fit.

One of the reasons I am a huge Eberron fan is because His Infernal Bovinity (Hellcow/Mr. Baker) does post regularly. When he posts, they're almost always very well put together, useful, and allow quite a few possibilities to spring forth. More importantly, he does not indulge in the instinctive reaction of the creator to hiss and ridicule ideas that go against his version of the world. I have to say that I would be hard-pressed to not screech "No! You have it ALL WRONG!" if somebody changed my baby.

That said, I conceive of Rajahs as looming menaces; the goal is to make sure they don't get free, not stick them back in their hole. So, I've never thought of anything about the Rajahs themselves, only about their minions. Thinking about it now, that's probably something I should rectify....

Well, thinking about it some more, how would the characteristics of a Rajah affect its followers? 

RealAlHazred

Originally posted by lord_gore:

I've been very interested in the Lords of Dust since they made their first appearance on Eberron Campaign Setting (3e) and I too am trying to get a good hold of them.

Perhaps you will find my list a bit more exhaustive, as it includes (I hope) every rakshasa rajah.
Furthermore, I'd be glad if anyone would point me any missing fiend.

• Bel Shalor the Shadow in the Flame (Tamor Hills, Khorvaire) ECG 029
  • Dral Khatuur the Heart of Winter (Frostfell) female overlord Druid 25/Sorcerer 15/Frost MageFb 10 Death, ColdFb, WinterFb unpublished
  • Eldrantulku the Oathbreaker (unknown) NE male overlord rogue 15/sorcerer 15/mindbenderCAr 10 CorruptionBoVD, Trickery Dr 337 063, 069, 070
  • Katashka the Gatekeeper (Lair of the Keeper, Khorvaire) LE male overlord cleric 8/wizard 8/true necromancerLM 14 Deathbound, UndeathECS DoE 036, Dr 337 070, ECG 030
  • Rak Tulkhesh the Rage of War (Khorvaire) NE male overlord fighter 15/blackguard 10/cleric 15 Destruction, War Dr 337 065, 070, ECG 031
  • Ran Iishiv the Unmaker (Korrandar, Sarlona) SoS 012
  • Sakinnirot the Scar that Abides (Stormreach, Xen’drik) CoS 156
  • Shudra the Fleshrender (Mel-Aqat, Xen’drik) PGtE 155, TFoW 127
  • Sul Khatesh the Keeper of Secrets (Arcanix, Khorvaire) LE female overlord wizard 36/archmage 4 Knowledge, Magic CoS 89, Dr 337 060, 068, ECG 031
  • Tiamat the Daughter of Khyber (Pit of Five Sorrows, Argonnessen) DoE 009
  • Tul Oreshka the Truth in the Darkness (unknown) CE female overlord bard 20/wizard 10/loremaster 10 Madness, ShadowECS Dr 337 064, 070
  • Unnamed (Krertok Peninsula, Sarlona) SoS 012
  • Unnamed (Sustrai Mor, Sarlona) SoS 091
  • Unnamed (Tempest’s Isle, Lhazaar Principalities) PGtE 099 possibly a rajah
  • Yad-Raghesh (The Vale of the Fallen Rajah, Argonnessen) colossal two-headed overlord DoE 050 "dead"

RealAlHazred

Originally posted by PJammaGod:

I have to say Lord_Gore that is one hell of a comprehensive list. I thought I knew all of the Rajah's, but you have more than a few I was unaware of. Cheerski for the listing (as well as book/magazine listings)!

RealAlHazred

Originally posted by Ogiwan:

Just over half of the Rajahs? That's pretty good work, but still leaves us with plenty of room to make our own.

I really wish the Dungeon and Dragons from before 150 were available to us via DDI...... 

Remove ads