Paging Echohawk...

Echohawk

Shirokinukatsukami fan
Glad to see you back Echohawk.
If you have the time you may want to update the 'to do/unconverted' lists! :p
I haven't forgotten about those, but I need to work through a year's worth of conversions before I can sort all those out, so it might take a little while longer.

Echohawk

Shirokinukatsukami fan
Nemesis Spirits

CLIMATE/TERRAIN: Any
FREQUENCY: Uncommon
ACTIVITY CYCLE: Any
DIET: Sacrifices
INTELLIGENCE: 13
ALIGNMENT: Any chaotic or evil

NO. APPEARING: 1
ARMOR CLASS: 0
MOVEMENT: 12
HIT DICE: 9
THAC0: 12
NO. OF ATTACKS: 2
DAMAGE/ATTACK: By traditional or natural weapon
SPECIAL ATTACKS: Spells
SPECIAL DEFENSE: +3 or better to hit
MAGIC RESISTANCE: Nil
SIZE: M
MORALE: Champion (15-16)
XP VALUE: 5,000

Nemeses are legendary figures from the folk tales of a specific culture. They may be evil kings, faithless advisers, or monsters, but they are always the epic foes who were overcome by the culture's heroes. Each is unique, ranging from handsome or stunningly beautiful to grotesquely bestial and hideous, but they all want their eternal enemy brought to his knees and the culture which spawned them destroyed.
Each nemesis is the arch-enemy of a hero spirit, and wages a constant war against its foe, its followers always fighting the hero's devotees. Ironically, if the Nemesis destroys the hero spirit's cult and eradicated a1l memory of it, it would soon fade away, too, as it is remembered only as the foes of the hero.

Combat: The nemesis spirit wields the weapons associated with it in legend, or if it is a beast or some kind of animal, uses the natural weaponry available to it. In addition, all nemesis spirits can cause three spell-like effects, at will, four times per day: Cause fear, charm (person, monster or plants) and pass without trace.

Accepted Alignments: Any chaotic or evil.

Familiarity: Nemeses will accept any shaman who is willing to fight the followers of their foe. A single sacrifice (requiring a Shamanic Ritual check, of course) suffices to cement the alliance.

Demands: A shaman who serves a nemesis spirit must never cooperate with the followers of the corresponding hero spirit, nor offer sacrifice or do any other thing to aid that spirit. Further, the shaman must conspire to weaken the hero spirit's followers whenever possible.
Nemeses do not require sacrifice to survive, but if they are to provide any spells or other aid to the shaman, they must receive sacrifice once per month. One chicken per worshiper per month is a minimum sacrifice, but nemeses prefer more dramatic offerings, preferably the relatives of worshipers of the nemesis' corresponding hero spirit.

Benefits: A nemesis can sponsor any spell from the spiritualist's list, plus tribal shaman spells up to 3rd level.
Additionally, a nemesis spirit aids favored servants in combat, providing them with a non-magical +1 attack bonus, and the ability to curse one opponent every two rounds.

Attachments

• Nemesis Spirits.jpeg
    Nemesis Spirits.jpeg
    185.5 KB · Views: 315

Echohawk

Shirokinukatsukami fan
Rogue Hero

CLIMATE/TERRAIN: Any/ruins
FREQUENCY: Very Rare
INTELLIGENCE: 14
ALIGNMENT: Any chaotic

ARMOR CLASS: 4
MOVEMENT: 9
HIT DICE: 6
THAC0: 15
NO. OF ATTACKS: 1
DAMAGE/ATTACK: By traditional weapon +3
SPECIAL ATTACKS: Cause disease and curse twice each per day
SPECIAL DEFENSE: +2 or better to hit
MAGIC RESISTANCE: Nil
MORALE: Fearless (20)
XP VALUE: 2,000

Rogue heroes are hero spirits who have been forgotten by their peoples or turned into figures of evil. They continue to exist because a dominant religion or ideology has so successfully turned them into malign figures or because shamans continue to sacrifice to them. They are now twisted versions of the heroes they once were.
They are often encountered at ruined shrines that were once dedicated to their honor, but also roam the extent or their ancestral lands. Occasionally, they will lash out at mortals without apparent provocation.

Combat: Rogue heroes are creatures with nothing to lose, and thus fight until they or their opponent is destroyed. They wield weapons as dictated by the tales that are told about them. However, they fight with such fury and ferocity that they have +3 to all attack and damage rolls. Further, they use their ability to curse on the first round of combat, and their cause disease ability on the round following the first successful attack leveled against them.
When combat with a rogue hero has been initiated, the battle continues until one combatant has been destroyed.

Accepted Alignments: Any.

Familiarity: Rogues accept any shaman willing to serve them. They yearn for better days -- when they were more powerful and more famous, and accept any shaman who might help them back to their former glory.

Demands: Rogue heroes expect that either 500 gp worth of sacrifice directed to them per year, or that the shaman works to spread their fame across the land and build a cult to worship them. The rogue hero craves worship, but by definition rarely receives much, and shirking shamans are not tolerated.

Benefits: The rogue hero can sponsor any spell on the spiritualist spell list, 2nd-level tribal shaman spells, and priest spells from the Necromantic sphere of up to 3rd level.

Attachments

• Rogue Hero.jpeg
    Rogue Hero.jpeg
    156.9 KB · Views: 275

Echohawk

Shirokinukatsukami fan
Sith

CLIMATE/TERRAIN: Remote areas
FREQUENCY: Rare
DIET: Blood
INTELLIGENCE: 14
ALIGNMENT: Chaotic Evil

MOVEMENT: 12
HIT DICE: 5
THAC0: 16
NO. OF ATTACKS: 1
DAMAGE/ATTACK: Nil
SPECIAL ATTACKS: Constitution drain
SPECIAL DEFENSE: +2 or better to hit
MAGIC RESISTANCE: 10%
MORALE: Fearless (20)
XP VALUE: 275

Tales of faithful wives who join their husbands at remote homestead, only to die through the neglect of their spouse or because of the harsh environment abound. So do the tales of the restless spirits of such women wandering the hills and ridges of the land that killed them. The stories tell that these spirits seek out rugged individuals like their husbands and drain all vitality from them.
While there may indeed be ghosts roaming the lonely moors and highlands, these tales have also given rise to the sith, a beautiful vampiric spirit who preys on shepherds and lonely explorers.
The sith looks like a woman in her 20s, who wears a tattered dress that is not at all suited for life outside high society. Her features are face and hands are smudged with dirt and her hair is unkempt, but there is nonetheless a radiant beauty about her.

Combat: The sith will attempt to appear a helpless victim of circumstance when first encountering a lone character. She will express joy and relief over having finally met a "savior" in this harsh land, and will move to embrace the character. If the character accepts her embrace, he or she must make a save vs. paralysis. Should the save fail, the character feels compelled to join the sith in a dance, as they remain tightly embraced. As they dance, the sith drains her victim's blood through the skin via her touch: The victim loses 1d4 points of Constitution per round.
Even characters who are not under the influence of the sith's touch may not recognize what is happening to him before it is too late. The drain is painless, and the loss causes the victim to feel increasingly lightheaded and dizzy (-1 to all attack rolls for each round the sith drains blood from the character) and finally fall unconscious. When the Constitution score reaches 0, the character is irrevocably dead, and can only be revived by a wish. Since the sith is not an actual vampire, the character does not rise as undead.

Accepted Alignments: Any.

Familiarity: Siths are automatically favorably inclined toward female shamans, and will only deal with males if under a charm spirit spell. Establishing a relationship with a sith takes three pints of blood, which must be poured over a shrine built in their honor. The shrine must be built from wood or stone that bears signs of having been worked by a craftsman.

Demands: Siths want to be taken from the wilderness and desposited in the city: This is all they ask of a shaman and will grant spells only if it appears progress is made in that direction. This may be accomplished the same way one would relocate a guardian spirit. Of course, a wily shaman may string a sith along for some time.

Benefits: While in the wilderness, a sith can grant a shaman 2nd- and 3rd-level solitary shaman spells, but once the spirit has been transplanted to the city, it may sponsor the full gamut of spells from the spiritualist list, in addition to the low-level spells from the solitary list. However, the spirit still remains a murderous, vampiric entity. Good-aligned characters would probably not knowingly unleash such a being onto an unsuspecting populace, even for the power it can grant. Many spiritualists, however would have no moral qualms about such an act.

Attachments

• Sith.jpeg
    Sith.jpeg
    154.8 KB · Views: 302

Echohawk

Shirokinukatsukami fan
Strigloi

CLIMATE/TERRAIN: Areas near cemeteries and burial grounds
FREQUENCY: Very rare
ACTIVITY CYCLE: Night
DIET: Children
INTELLIGENCE: 13
ALIGNMENT: Chaotic Evil

MOVEMENT: 10, Fl 18, (B)
HIT DICE: 4
THAC0: 17
NO. OF ATTACKS: 3
DAMAGE/ATTACK: 1/1 claws + 1d4 bite
SPECIAL ATTACKS: Poisonous bite, save vs. poison or take 1d10 points of damage. Paralyzing touch. If the Strigloi hits with both claws, it has grabbed and paralyzed its victim and may take to the sky with him or her.
SPECIAL DEFENSE: 1/2 damage from nonmagical weapons. Also, see below.
MAGIC RESISTANCE: 5%
MORALE: Elite (13-14)
XP VALUE: 3,000

There are those who lead lives so horrible that those who knew of their deeds allow them to live on in memory and tales told to frighten children. When these tales are told enough times by enough parents, they begin to assume form in the spirit world, and eventually begin to haunt the Prime Material Plane in ways much worse than bogeymen. These spirits, called strigloi, do not merely feed on fear... they feed on the flesh and blood of children, like the monstrous beings from the tales. Strigloi abduct children from their homes in the dead of night, and a child taken by one of these monsters is never seen again.
Strigloi appear as extremely ancient men or women, pale and wrinkled, with lank hair and covered in fine dust. They are capable of taking flight, and do this by simply leaping into the air, at which point they either become invisible or appear as a sparkling white light or flame.

Combat: The strigloi will never fight an adult if it can find any way to escape: They prey exclusively on the young and prefer to devote their energies to their prey. As mentioned above, two successful hits allow the creature to carry its victim away. Strigloi have never been observed using their poisonous bite on the child they wish to abduct, but have always reserved that attack for anyone trying to defend the child. It might also use its paralyzing attack on defenders, only to take them into the air and drop them from a great height.
In addition to taking half damage from attacks leveled against it with nonmagical weapons, the foulness of this kind of spirit causes the weapon to corrode on contact, rotting or rusting immediately and breaking the next time an attempt is made to strike with it.

Accepted Alignments: Any evil.

Familiarity: A strigloi accepts any shaman who somehow demonstrates that he or she has power over it (briefly casts contain spirit on it, for example). It probably goes without saying, however, that no good-aligned shaman would want to establish relations with a creature such as a strigloi, but should attempt to destroy it.

Demands: Per spell that it sponsors, a strigloi expects one pint of fresh blood (from a sentient being) to be given to it every week. This is simply given to the physical manifestation of the spirit, without a formal sacrifice. Extra pints may be given in advance to create a "credit." Strigloi have no desire for worship.

Benefits: Strigloi can sponsor contain spirit, death candle, and haunting notes. Additionally, it has been said that strigloi can grant favored shamans the ability to cast vampiric touch (as the wizard spell) twice per day. Whatever foul rituals would need to be performed to gain that benefit, however, is known only to the most darkhearted spiritualists.

Attachments

• Strigloi.jpeg
    Strigloi.jpeg
    154.2 KB · Views: 304

Echohawk

Shirokinukatsukami fan
Totem Spirit

CLIMATE/TERRAIN: Same as animal type
FREQUENCY: Uncommon
INTELLIGENCE: 15
ALIGNMENT: Neutral

ARMOR CLASS: 5
MOVEMENT: 18
HIT DICE: 10
THAC0: 11
NO. OF ATTACKS: 2
DAMAGE/ATTACK: As per animal type (see the Monstrous Manual for details) + 3d6 or by weapon (in human form)
SPECIAL ATTACKS: May control the actions of animals of their own species, regardless of range, and any other animals within 10 yards.
SPECIAL DEFENSE: +3 or better to hit
MAGIC RESISTANCE: 5%
MORALE: Elite (13-14)
XP VALUE: 3,000

Each type of animal has a spirit that stands as an archetype for the species. So long as the species exists (or at least, so long as sentient mortals are aware of it), the totem spirit continues to exist, presenting mortals with an anthropomorphic (humanlike) image of the species. It is usually encountered in areas where its animal type is abundant or being exploited and abused.
Each totem spirit may appear either as a stunningly beautiful version of the animal it represents, or as a humanoid with the animal's features (a shapely woman with the head of a cat, for example). Its movement rate is the same in either form.

Combat: Totem spirits prefer to avoid combat, and will instead try to use trickery to reach their goals. However, if confronted with flagrant abuse of the animals they represent, they can bring to bear the deadly natural weaponry of their animal type, or can attack as a 10th-level fighter who is specialized in whatever weaPon they choose to wield.

Accepted Alignments: True neutral or neutral good.

Familiarity: Totem spirits expect shamans to have demonstrated an ability to live in harmony with the wilderness and the animals of the land, and then to make a sacrifice of 200 gp to it.

Demands: Totem spirits demand that shamans oppose any attempt to exploit or destroy their patron animal. The shaman must also spend one day each week attending a shrine to the totem spirit if such exists in their vicinity.
The animal totem also expect mortals in general to respect the wilderness -- to kill only what they need (hunting to sell the meat or skins is not approved of), to take deadfall in preference to living wood, and so on. Those who fail to do so have frequent accidents and invariably fail to bag any animals on hunts.

Benefits: Any solitary shaman spell and priest spells of the animal sphere up to 5th level, plus animal spy, call pack. and create sanctuary. Additionally, any hunter giving 10% of his or her catch to a totem spirit as a sacrifice receives a -2 bonus to all proficiency checks concerning that species of animal, including Hunting, Set Snares, Tracking, and Animal Handling, so long as the hunter doesn't use these powers to exploit the land.

Attachments

• Totem Spirit.jpeg
    Totem Spirit.jpeg
    157.4 KB · Views: 274

Echohawk

Shirokinukatsukami fan
I haven't forgotten about those, but I need to work through a year's worth of conversions before I can sort all those out, so it might take a little while longer.
Okay. I think all the lists are up-to-date now, although I admit that I didn't check the Dragon magazine one as thoroughly as all of the others. Let me know if you spot any creatures lurking on the lists that should be eliminated.

Cleon

Legend
I was checking some original versions of lycanthropes for our conversion thread, and noticed that my copy of your Complete D&D Monster Index didn't seem to have the Were-Sabretooth from the Hollow World Campaign set (page 16 of the Adventure book).

That got me searching, and there are some other Hollow World Campaign set creatures that are entirely missing from the Index, like Frost-Zombies (page 16 of the Adventure book), or only have a Vaults of Pandius listing, such as the Sun-Wight (page 4 of the HWCS Adventure book) and Bounders (page 17).

There may be more, but I haven't checked through the entire boxed set.

Does your index need an update, Echohawk, or is my copy out of date?

Echohawk

Shirokinukatsukami fan
Does your index need an update, Echohawk, or is my copy out of date?
Without even checking the Hollow World set, I know the answer to both of those questions is "yes" :D.

In my current working copy I have 2676 lines marked as new additions since the December 2008 release, so that version is most certainly rather out of date. Then, there are three year's worth of 4e releases still in my queue for adding to the index, plus a number of obscure sources I've picked up since 2008 that also need checking, so there is plenty of updating work that needs to be done too. (I've been a bit distracted by the Collector's Guide series for a while!)

If you do spot any omissions, free free to note them in this thread and I'll make sure they get included in a future update. I'm not near my collection right now, so can't immediately check the Hollow World set, but I will make sure I double check the creatures you've mentioned, to make sure they don't get overlooked!

Remove ads