• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Paint dry...need water?

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
For dried-out paints, one can also buy acrylic medium (the base fluid of acrylic paint, without the pigment) in art supply stores to use instead of water. This is more expensive, but I'm told it yields better results. I haven't tried it myself, but I've been told by some enthusiasts that it helps the ressurrected paint cover more eenly than plain water.

Frostmarrow

First Post
RogueJK said:

no No NO! (And I can't stress this enough... ;) )

While it is a good idea to keep a small item inside your paint pots to help the mixing process, STAY AWAY from metal objects. They will rust in the paint pot, and you'll end up with an entire collection of rust-colored paints. I have seen this several times before, and it's not pretty. And having to replace your entire set of paints isn't cheap either...

If you're going to do this, it's best to use something like a small plastic bead or even a small rock that has been thoroughly washed off.

Thanks for clearing that up RogueJK. I wouldn't want to be responsible for ruining gallons of your paint. I imagine a stainless steel nut could do?

RogueJK

It's not "Rouge"... That's makeup.
Frostmarrow said:

I imagine a stainless steel nut could do?

Probably... Be absolutely sure that it really is stainless steel, though.

You should probably avoid using any metal, just to be on the safe side.

Foundry of Decay

First Post
Yellow paints

So far, the best yellows I've ever used are Vallejo. They are nearly impossible to get here in Canukada, but they are well worth it. I can actually paint yellow over black and have near complete coverage with the first coat.

Ulrick

First Post
NiTessine said:
I hear Reaper paints actually have a small pewter skull inside the pot as a shaker thingy.

Ooooo Pewter Skulls!

I'll have to check that out.

Anyway, that's everybody for the input. I just don't like having to buy new paint when a jar isn't even half used.

But wouldn't putting something inside the paint jar simply have the paint dry around the object?

Ulrick

Black Omega

First Post
I always figured the skull would just be a style thing rather than all that practical. I could be wrong though.

My personal favorite paints at this point are Vallejo and Reaper. I on;y have a few Reapers but they are excellent and have some nice, unique colors. Vallejo is the bigf thing a local gameshop is pushing. Expensive and you -really- need to shake the hell out of the bottles but the color is vivid. I'm not a big fan of the eyedropper design though, since I'm a long time Paint from the bottl es's Cap style painter.:)

Remove ads