Paladin and Lay on Hands

To my understanding the Lay on Hands power has a target of : One Creature. This means they can target themselves with it. I find this fair and making sense with the power. However in the earlier mentioning of the power in the same Class Feature section it mentions healing comrades. This could be construed as flavor text of sorts which is to be ignored in theory. Then the feat Healing Hands states that the ally receiving healing from healing hands gains extra hit points.

These two instances seem to highly imply that the power was meant for allies only. I know you usually go with the primary source ( in this case the power's actual description of effects ) but I was wondering if anyone knows if it's intended to be ally only, or anyone can be healed?

I don't have books on me at the moment, but my friend who does said the above statements are accurate ( about the flavor text, target, and text on the feat) so I apologize if I am posting with information that is incorrect.

senorcoo

First Post
As far as our group is concerned, I'll be applying the specific over general rule. The power specifically states "one creature". That's good enough for me to rule that our Paladin can lay hands on himself, though whether or not he chooses to do so may have some role-playing ramifications (is it a selfish act?, was someone else equally or more injured?)

Regicide

Banned
Banned
senorcoo said:
though whether or not he chooses to do so may have some role-playing ramifications (is it a selfish act?, was someone else equally or more injured?)

Um... how is that relevant at all to paladins? They can be unaligned and are "fervent crusaders in their chosen cause, paladins must choose a deity" and who "burn with desire to punish the wicked and smite the unbelievers." Paladins don't feel remorse about healing themselves, they're now terrorists for crying out loud! You think a party member who doesn't worship the same god is going to get healing... nuh uh, a weakened unbeliever is the perfect unbeliever to smite!

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
Customer service told me that it can't be used by the paladin on himself.

It's the most reasonable thing, given the description and the fluff of the power (except for the target line, which must be a mistake).

Remove ads