Paladin Mount as a cohort

A player in my campaign wants to take leadership and wants to designate their special mount as their cohort. The player is a paladin/fist of raziel. Essentially, he's paying a feat tax to keep his mount relevant.

If the mount is made a cohort, the DMG suggests that they be given a +2 LA. And ... that's it. The whole section on doing this is rather sparse, only a paragraph long.

Does the mount continue to gain the abilities of a paladin's special mount? Does it just gain bonus HD? Can it take class levels? Feats? Any advice is greatly appreciated and welcomed.

Shin Okada

Explorer
Yeah, the mentioning is quite short and simple, and The only example I can find is Hound Archon Hero, 11th-Level Paladin and it's Bronze Dragon Mount.

Hound Archon Hero is a 11th-level paladin. And the description says the juvenile bronze dragon mount gains 2 additional HD, 4 points of Strength, an additional 4 points of natural armor, improved evasion, and +10 feet to speed in all its movement forms. That is the bonuses which usual special mount of a 8th-10th level paladin gains.

A juvenile bronze dragon is not meant to be a cohort from the beginning (it has no LA listed). And I am not sure where that -1 to -3 effective paladin level for the special abilities as a special mount came from.

But anyway, gaining both additional abilities including bonus HDs and class levels seems to be too strong.

smetzger

Explorer
A player in my campaign wants to take leadership and wants to designate their special mount as their cohort. The player is a paladin/fist of raziel. Essentially, he's paying a feat tax to keep his mount relevant.

If the mount is made a cohort, the DMG suggests that they be given a +2 LA. And ... that's it. The whole section on doing this is rather sparse, only a paragraph long.

Does the mount continue to gain the abilities of a paladin's special mount? Does it just gain bonus HD? Can it take class levels? Feats? Any advice is greatly appreciated and welcomed.

I've allowed a Druid to cast awaken on their animal companion and then take the leadership feat. I just had everything stack with the animal companion powers.

The answer to your question really relies on how powerful the paladin is in relation to the other PCs.

I would most likely ...
1) allow the mount to have all its paladin mount powers
2) allow the mount to gain in power as a paladin mount
3) allow it to take class levels up to the appropriate level of the cohort; rules seem to suggest this should be 2 less levels
4) allow it also to improve in power by taking class levels

I'd also probably give it some way to communicate via speech with the Paladin.

Remove ads