Paladins and Prestige Classes?

Is it correct that if a Paladin takes a level in a prestige class then he cannot take another level in Paladin unless the prestige class explicitly states that? (e.g., Kensai)

In short, does the restriction apply to just base classes or both base classes and prestige classes?

From the SRD:
Like a member of any other class, a paladin may be a multiclass character, but multiclass paladins face a special restriction. A paladin who gains a level in any class other than paladin may never again raise her paladin level, though she retains all her paladin abilities.

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
RAW, yes. Any level out of Paladin and he can't go back. Same for monk.

That said, letting characters multiclass freely with them is probably one of the most universally popular houserules in all of 3E. If not, you can play an Illumian and legally multiclass with Paladin or Monk freely and still return.

Herzog

Adventurer
There are specific Feats and Prestige Classes that specifically allow you to switch between (for example) Paladin and Monk.
Since the Prestige Class doesn't specify you can also switch between the PrC and Paladin and Monk, but it is assumed you can, since you wouldn't be able to switch between the two base classes if you couldn't return to them due to the Prc, I conclude the restriction does not apply to PrC's.
(although I admit it is a very weak argument, especially since I cannot recall the PrC to check this)

radmod

First Post
I personally allow the multiclassing if it's into another class that is similar or 'fits.' For example, if you wanted, I would allow a Paladin to add Cleric and level in both, but not Ranger or Druid, etc.

frankthedm

First Post
I don't have a source handy, but the game devs did say the Paladin and Monk Multiclassing restrictions were just flavor based.

I let Paladins multiclass without restriction into; the Monk order of the Platinum Fist, Cleric if deity is Lawful Good, Wizard or Sorcerer if Patron Deity Is Marduk.

Remove ads