• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Palm Familiar, legal issues, & possible solutions

SaiZai

First Post
deltacoder said:
I think you misunderstood me. What I mean is still have the box calculate the result, but also show how it calculates the result - therefore, all of the OGC is still human readable, and therefore compliant.

No, I understood.

However, that has the same problem as other in-program formula display; from what I've seen, WotC does not accept having some way to display the calculations as being good enough disclosure.

Otherwise, you could just list the calculations used in a help file, ne?

deltacoder

First Post
that would be just like listing the calculations in an XML file, would it not? and if so, why not?

it seems to me that if one could simply either display the calculations or release the source code to comply with the OGL it would be a lot easier and probably better in the long run for WotC...

Davin

First Post
deltacoder said:
that would be just like listing the calculations in an XML file, would it not? and if so, why not?
One major difference with putting the data in an XML file is that you can change the XML file and the calculation will change. You can't do that with any form of display-only technology. (That may not be part of WotC's reasoning, but it is a significant difference.)

smetzger

Explorer
I sent another email to Andy the WOTC intern about Faster Tool's d20 compliance at the begining of this week. Still no reply.

Seeing how WOTC slammed other programs that used the d20 logo straight out of the box and Faster Tools has been available for almost a month now.....

One reason for my releasing Faster Tools the way I did was to test the waters for myself and other programs. I encourage you to check the OGF-d20 archives, mid to late November. The waters fine come on in. :)

deltacoder

First Post
you know what we really need in this thread? an actual WotC rep. so that we can get real answers, instead of just guessing.

(hint hint nudge nudge to any WotC employee who happens to see this...)

Remove ads