D&D General Deep Thoughts on AI- The Rise of DM 9000

Andvari

Hero
Create an argument over the alignment system in Dungeons & Dragons. Pretend players named John, Ally, Oscar and Betty are the arguing parts.

John: I think the alignment system is an essential part of Dungeons & Dragons. It helps me create more immersive and complex characters by giving me a framework for their motivations and actions.

Ally: I have to disagree, John. I think the alignment system is overly simplistic and often leads to stereotypes and pigeonholing of characters. It doesn't allow for enough nuance or complexity in character creation.

Oscar: I see both of your points, but I think the alignment system is useful as a tool for roleplaying and creating interesting interactions between characters. It can create tension and conflict in the game, which makes for a more exciting experience.

Betty: I don't think we should take the alignment system too seriously, though. It's just one aspect of the game, and we shouldn't judge other players' actions based solely on their character's alignment.

John: I agree, Betty. While the alignment system is important, it shouldn't be the be-all and end-all of character creation. It's just a tool to help us understand our characters better.

Ally: But I still think it's too limiting. By forcing players to fit their characters into one of nine alignment categories, the system discourages exploration of more complex and nuanced character traits.

Oscar: I can see your point, Ally, but I think the system is still useful in providing a baseline for a character's values and motivations. It doesn't have to be the only factor in character creation, but it can be a helpful starting point.

Betty: At the end of the day, I think it's up to each player to decide how much weight to give to the alignment system. Some may find it essential, while others may prefer to focus on other aspects of the game.

John: Agreed. As long as we're all having fun and creating interesting stories, that's all that really matters. The alignment system is just one tool we can use to achieve that.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
Gorsuch asks quesitons on AI and 230:

1677173508506.png

Fanaelialae

Legend
LOL I'd be scared of the advice an AI scanning these forums would give. This is one of the problems with these AI style bots. They scan all the information and run thier algorithm to determine what's groupthink and accepted. They don't understand what they give you they just give you what seems to be the most repeated advice and count on it being better than average.
I said it would give it the ability to dispense advice on running games. My intent was not to suggest that it would necessarily be good advice, lol.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
Gorsuch asks quesitons on AI and 230:

View attachment 276453
The context of that case is pretty important. It's not really about AI so much as if AI recommendations shift a platform or distributor to publisher or not.
It's a good question from him but probably not one we are at a point where we are capable of answering it without veering into some kind of AI ban just because it's not developed enough.

Hussar

Legend
John: I think the alignment system is an essential part of Dungeons & Dragons. It helps me create more immersive and complex characters by giving me a framework for their motivations and actions.

Ally: I have to disagree, John. I think the alignment system is overly simplistic and often leads to stereotypes and pigeonholing of characters. It doesn't allow for enough nuance or complexity in character creation.

Oscar: I see both of your points, but I think the alignment system is useful as a tool for roleplaying and creating interesting interactions between characters. It can create tension and conflict in the game, which makes for a more exciting experience.

Betty: I don't think we should take the alignment system too seriously, though. It's just one aspect of the game, and we shouldn't judge other players' actions based solely on their character's alignment.

John: I agree, Betty. While the alignment system is important, it shouldn't be the be-all and end-all of character creation. It's just a tool to help us understand our characters better.

Ally: But I still think it's too limiting. By forcing players to fit their characters into one of nine alignment categories, the system discourages exploration of more complex and nuanced character traits.

Oscar: I can see your point, Ally, but I think the system is still useful in providing a baseline for a character's values and motivations. It doesn't have to be the only factor in character creation, but it can be a helpful starting point.

Betty: At the end of the day, I think it's up to each player to decide how much weight to give to the alignment system. Some may find it essential, while others may prefer to focus on other aspects of the game.

John: Agreed. As long as we're all having fun and creating interesting stories, that's all that really matters. The alignment system is just one tool we can use to achieve that.
Bloody oath!

That's, pretty much, word for word EXACTLY how that conversation goes. You can hold that upside virtually every alignment thread you can find on these boards, and it's it nearly every talking point and position. Dammmmnnnn.

Hussar

Legend
It's not what you asked for, though, is it? That's not an aberration; it's obviously an undead. It's also underpowered for a CR 7.

Mechanically, it's serviceable but not particularly interesting -- all its abilities are standard stuff. The description and history are coherent, but generic and vague. It looks like a pretty typical fan-made monster, the sort of thing you can find by the bucketload with a quick Google search or "browse homebrew" on D&D Beyond. And that's not an accident, because what GPT is doing is mashing up all the monster statblocks it found online.

This kind of thing looks impressive at first glance, because we've never seen computers that could do this before. But all it's really doing is saving you some legwork on Google.
Really? Why would you say this is underpowered? I compare this to a CR7 Stone Giant - Same HP, same AC, little less bonus to attack (+8 vs +9) but deals considerably more damage on a hit. It can fly and has various special abilities that a Stone Giant doesn't have. Compared to a Giant Ape - same thing. Pretty much on par.

Seems perfectly fine to me. As far as type goes - well, it's a humanoid mist creature. Sure, you could make it undead, although that would change some of it's immunities. But, otherwise, pretty much spot on.

So, what is the specific problem here?

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
Reading Snap's disclaimer on their new service:

"As with all AI-powered chatbots, My AI is prone to hallucination and can be tricked into saying just about anything. Please be aware of its many deficiencies and sorry in advance! All conversations with My AI will be stored and may be reviewed to improve the product experience. Please do not share any secrets with My AI and do not rely on it for advice."

and the news about what people do. Maybe it's closer to capturing people than I first thought! (Well, unless the reviewing for improvement thing regularly happens .)

Clint_L

Hero
This is the biggest danger really. Because it doesn't understand uncertainty, people are treating ChatGPT as if it were a reliable source of information.
I could show you some essays I've received in recent weeks...

My favourite offered a detailed and cogent discussion of a pivotal scene from a film that we'd just studied. The only problem was that the scene never occurred in the film. Nothing like it occurred in the film (Lady Bird).

Remove ads