Paragons of the Burning Sky manuscript/draft [updated 29 May]

Talysian

Explorer
I'd really like to see sticking with the same format for what powers are gotten when, I understand theme, but also you want to maintain balance.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Cool. Updated again with several suggestions from above, plus the Evolved Living Sword and Dasseni Warhorse.

Revinor

First Post
I would suggest getting rid of all stat requirements for PP. It is not a case for any official PP and just smells very 3e.

Aspirant of the East Wind
In the way it is written currently, you can take this PP at the cost of single multiclass feat and get +Dex to damage for all melee attacks. This might be a bit too powerful option for rogues, assassins etc. Pit fighter got nerfed recently, because it was giving secondary stat to melee damage, here you propose giving primary stat...
As other people mentioned, you need scaling for to-hit for attacks, or add implement or weapon keyword. I would suggest doing the same as monk attacks currently - don't try to correct way monk is done by making it more 'unarmed' that it is in core book. Remember, no weapon/implement means no critical damage, special properties etc - less fun.

Biomancer
No AP ability at 11 ? Again, all PP have one, so don't make exceptions without very good reason.
Powers lack weapon or implement keyword.

Disciple of the West Wind
Again, missing weapon/implement.
12lvl power should be utility, not attack.

Gate Pass Resistance Fighter
11lvl power should be attack, not utility.

Knight of the Aquiline Cross
11lvl and 20lvl should be attacks, not utility.
20lvl power is quite wrong for a power. 'Standard action' and 'less than one day' should never appear in the same power. If you really want to make a resurrect power for 20 lvl, make it a daily attack, which deals damage and has the effect of raising adjacent ally which died during this encounter. You should describe details of resurrection - what daily/encounter powers he has left, what with action points, hp, is there a penalty till 3 milestones like with normal rise dead etc.

Lyceum Adept
Again 11 and 12 lvl powers mixed utility/attack
Looks that you are giving him one more encounter attack power than usual - very dangerous, there is a reason for the current limit. On 30lvl, he will have two highest level (27) encounter powers, which is quite bad for balance.
Learn Power... does this mean that you can steal 29lvl daily power from somebody, which is his most prized thing and use it yourself at the cost of 20lvl daily power? Very, very bad.

Order of Echoed Souls
AP ability missing.
Borrow Power - broken and underspecified. Can I breath fire back on dragon? Use Touch of Death back on Orcus? Touch of death has reach 4 because he is big, do I also get loooong hand when using it back? Forget about this power.
Again 12 level power should be utility
20 lvl power looks like attack to me, but is marked as utility. Anyway, burst 5 area, enemy only, with STUN TILL SAVE !!! is reasonable power for 29lvl daily (and it will be still among the best out there), not for 20 lvl daily.

Ragesian Inquisitor
Again confused power types - 20lvl should be daily.
Greater teleport - it is probably first long-range teleport usable in single round in game. Don't do that, it destroys the way encounters are handled in 4e.
And again implement/weapon keywords missing.

Solei Palancis
Blind till save on AP is way too powerful for 11 lvl. Maybe blind till end of next round, but it is still bit too powerful for my taste.
Automatic regeneration 5 when bloodied is an overkill.
Again, 12lvl should be utility, 20lvl should be attack.
True Strike - stun till save is too powerful for 11lvl encounter IMHO.

Trillth Bound
16lvl aura is a killer. It is removing all minions automatically - which is not that big problem, unless you run through the city. Are you sure it is an intention to make this PP a city destroyer? Remember, that at higher levels, all humanoids will be minions for PCs (5 lvl soldier becomes 12 lvl minion for example etc). Unplayable IMHO.
Again, complete confusion 11/12/20 lvl power types.

Wayfarer Cirqueliste
Wow... looks perfect. All things in proper places, power level seems ok (11lvl effect till save is on border of too powerful, but probably can be accepted due to flavor), good flavor... This is probably single PP here which can be just put out there and shown to the world.

I have probably missed many things, not really focused on power level of attack powers (as often levels were confused, so not really comparable). Generally, one advice - if you are new to the game, start with sticking to what was done in official sources and evolve from there, instead of trying to correct perceived 'design issues'. This thing you should do only after you are very very experienced and not even then probably - because consistency might be better than being 1% smarter in some cases.

Rechan

Adventurer
There's a typo in the Biomancer's daily power. One of the options is removing the target's movements. The options in the power are "burrow, fight, swim..." Should be Flight.

Dracomaxis

First Post
Morrus, you never seem to dissapoint when it come to custom made items. I am overjoyed at this and I am shure that my players will also love what will be in store for them later in the saga. Thank you very much.

Remove ads