D&D 5E [Parody Thread] Two new licenses for 2015: D&D COMPATIBLE and FREE D&D! COMMUNITY USE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remathilis

Legend
This again.

Time to give it up, Don Quixote. WotC isn't going to free its cash cow so that every Tom, Dick, and Harry can go make hamburger out of it. Flooding the market with 3,000 different versions of the Furgottan Realmz" is no answer to "The Complete Book of Wangdoodles" and diluting the market with imitations and knock offs (for which there is no quality control) isn't going usher in jack-squat except the end of D&D.

Go make your own RPG and give it away for free. Quit demanding WotC share because they have the best toys.

Press Release Update

Thanks for the interest in our new licensing platforms!

We edited the OP to address some concerns expressed by ENWorlders:

Mirtek said:
First of all I can't wrap my head around how the FR CUP should be supposed to work. A 5,000 pages document or what?

"No, they won't be 5000-page PDFs, rather, the titles of all the books and articles will simply be listed in the CUP document."

Remathilis said:
Flooding the market with 3,000 different versions of the Furgottan Realmz" is no answer

"The differences between FD&D! and D&DCCL:

D&DCCL only has access to 5E rules. No access to WotC Product Identity.
FD&D! will, over the course of three years, have access to all pre-5e Product Identity, both rules and all settings.

D&DCCL is a market. There is buying and selling, which is good.
FD&D! is a cultural space. There is free offering and free supporting, which is good."

We also added some announcements of upcoming FD&D! and D&DCCL releases:

Upcoming:
Prior to this public announcement, we approached a selection of respected amateur and professional D&D designers and game companies. We are pleased to announce a few of several upcoming products which are (tentatively) slated to be published under the FD&D! license:

Eric Mona's D&D World of Greyhawk
The grodog's D&D World of Greyhawk Adventures (A well-known amateur developer of Greyhawk)
Gygax Magazine's D&D World of Greyhawk, published by the new TSR Inc. game company.

(These three Greyhawk releases will come out soon after WotC's Greyhawk 5e worldbook and Greyhawk CUP.)
Bruce Heard's D&D World of Mystara (Bruce Heard was D&D Brand Manager who was largely responsible for the Mystara setting. He'll be developing this alongside his new world of Callidar.)
GAZF's D&D World of Mystara (The line of GAZF amateur publications is one of the most well-known and respected "fanon" versions of Mystara)
Monte Cook's D&D Worlds of Planescape, to be released soon after WotC's 5e Manual of the Planes.

All of these will be no-fee releases, with the authors attempting to publish a worldbook with no guarantee of any monetary return. Some have announced an intention to partially or wholly fund these books through freely-given crowdfunding.

And in regard to the D&D COMPATIBLE Commercial License, there will soon be press releases for the following products from third-party publishers:

The One Ring D&D COMPATIBLE by Cubicle 7, as a one-book sourcebook. The existing house-system of TOR will continue. There will also be D&D conversion notes for all existing TOR adventures.
Freeport D&D COMPATIBLE by Green Ronin.
Empire of the Petal Throne D&D COMPATIBLE

These are just three of many D&DCCL possibilties.

During the build-up to the release of WotC's D&D Modern sourcebook in 2017, we will approach a wide selection of scifi and modern genre rpg publishers with the option of producing a D&D COMPATIBLE product to be on the shelves soon after D&D Modern arrives in stores.

We will be sending FD&D! and D&DCCL information packets to over a thousand fantasy and scifi authors and publishers, inviting them to enter or re-enter the world of D&D publishing and gaming through these two platforms
Shane Henry
Licensing Manager
Whizzards of the Coast

Last edited:

Parmandur

Book-Friend
You know, this doesn't even sound attractive. Why would this be a desire able direction for WOTC? It seems pretty lame.

Update to the OP: We added some sample logos for the upcoming "My Original Edition" and "My Second Edition" community use packages:

original edition.pngsecond edition2.png

Good gaming!

Shane "Don Quixote" Henry
Licensing Manager

whizzards.png

Thanks SoulsFury!

Personally, I will be very disappointed if all I got was campaign setting source books.

Update to the OP: "We plan to release new campaign settings beginning in 2018. The campaign setting worldbooks are only some of the products we'll be releasing. For upcoming product series see our catalog here.)"

I normally only play in one setting, mine.

SoulsFury, you're invited to publish your homebrew setting using the D&DCCL commercial license (the best option if you use only 5e and your setting doesn't include any of WotC's product identity) or the FD&D! community use license (the best option if you use an earlier edition of D&D or if your setting includes elements of any of WotC's product identity).

Good gaming!

Shane "Don Quixote" Henry
Licensing Manager

whizzards.png

the Jester

Legend
[MENTION=6688049]DnDPhilmont[/MENTION], it would be nice if you would edit the OP to be a little more clear that this isn't an official thing for WotC; as it stands, it's kind of misleading (I'm assuming unintentionally), especially as you namedrop Mystara and whatnot.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Thanks for the interest in our new licensing platforms!

We edited the OP to address some concerns expressed by ENWorlders:

Not enough, I'm afraid. We're getting a stream of reports by people who find your approach to be rather trollish, and/or aggravated that the parody nature was not more clear.

I think the point has been made, and I don't see any healthy (or even interesting) discussion arising as a result of what you are posting. Not much positive and a bunch of negative means we close the thread. Sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads