Parsantium City Sourcebook - now on sale!

RichGreen

Adventurer
Hi,

Today, while Kate has been working her way through her first edit of the lengthy Gazetteer chapter – at 43,000 words, it’s the biggest in the book by a long way – I’ve been drawing a map of the hideout of the infamous Golden Scimitars criminal gang in the tunnels beneath the Old Quarter. I started with a handrawn map which I scanned, then edited and labelled using Photoshop. It’s pretty old school, but I’m pleased with how it’s turned out. This location was the site of memorable battles in both Parsantium campaigns so it’s fitting there’s a map of it in the book.

Cheers

Rich

RichGreen

Adventurer
Hi,

This weekend, we imported the first chapter of Parsantium: City at the Crossroads into InDesign and started work on the layout. Firstly, we got rid of the border we had scanned from Dover's Authentic Turkish Designs – it just didn't look good enough – and bought a new decorative font to use instead. This looks much better and gives us some nice little graphics we can use to break up the text if we need them. We're using one of these next to the page numbers on each page and it works very well. Next, Kate created the five levels of headings we are using throughout the text to indicate new chapters, sections, subsections etc.

We've now have the first chapter laid out without illustrations and it's very cool to see a load of Word documents start to look like a real book! There's still some more tinkering to do with spacing and the illustrations need to be added, but once that's done I'll post a sample double page spread here.

Nearly all the art is in too – just one illustration and the map to come ;)

Cheers

Rich

RichGreen

Adventurer
I've added a preview of a fully laid out double page spread to the blog here.

Let me know what you think. The book is coming in at 150 pages so far without art!

Cheers

Rich

RichGreen

Adventurer
This weekend, we’ve cracked on with the layout of Parsantium to stay on track for our target publication date of 29th November (Black Friday). InDesign is a harsh mistress but Kate has got her tamed ;)

The first two chapters – City at the Crossroads and Life in the City – are finished, with all art added in, and have come in at 35 pages total. Since these represent about 20% of the total word count, I think the whole book will be between 175 and 200 pages long, bigger than most WotC sourcebooks for D&D 4e!

I finished proof-reading these two chapters today. Next up is the relatively short third chapter, Running a Campaign, and then it’s onto the huge Gazetteer, starting with the Imperial Quarter.

Cheers

Rich

Remove ads