• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Party of 3: Striker or Controller?

SSquirrel

Explorer
We're about to do 2 different groups (2 different people trying out DMing 4E) w/one going thru KotS and the other thru Heathen from Dungeon. We're going as level 3 w/a warlock, rogue and cleric in KotS and level 8 thru Heathen with a fighter, cleric and I'm waffling between the rogue and wizard that I made ;) I'm in the same boat here and while the rogue looks really nasty, this wizard has some great stuff going for him too.

Mal Malenkirk

First Post
In my experience, a team of X player will face X+1 or 'worse' odds about 75% of the time.

Of course, I'm the DM so... ;)

Minions are the most common reason for this numerical inferiority. Here are the two others :

1- Often a DM will use creatures a few levels below the PCs. In 4e, monsters can remain dangerous on the batlefield for quite a few level. There's no shame throwing a few level 1 monsters at level 4 PCs ; you just put more.

2 - 1 standard monster of equivalent level per character leads to moderate, even fairly easy challenges challenges. If you have 4 level 2 PCs and give them 500xp worth of monsters, they won't sweat much. They'll lose a few healing surge and keep all their dailies, typically. To make them work for it, you increase the encounter level one level or two.

Right now my group is 4 PC, level 3 and they are headed for the following endgame fight :

6 kobold minions, 1 kobold slinger, 2 kobold skirmishers, 2 kobold dragon shield and 1 Kobold Wyrmpriest.

850xp, 12 monsters.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads