• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Party Treasure Sheets?

Janx

Hero
I tried the "Item Card" thing in a couple of my campaigns. It was a neat idea, but a bit tedious. It took some work to print and cut them. And since I was using my own Word document for the cards, I had to create them in word, adding new gear and such. Editing those was harder, than a simple inventory list in Word.

I did it as a player, and as a GM. As a a player, carding my gear worked OK. It did take longer to find stuff. If you truly make a card for "everything" it's a lot of cards, and I'm not talking about individual cards for coins. I suppose it was a good simulation for "how long does it take the PC to dig out that healing potion", but that's about it.

As a GM, making cards for all the gear the PCs find was tedious. Technically, I would have to make a card for every physical item, plus 1 card for "the money". This allowed them to split up the loot, by swapping cards around. The problem was making cards for stuff the party was going to sell was a waste of ink. I kept a pool of such cards, so I could re-use them. The players didn't like the system as much either.

For tracking purposes, I tend to prefer the following:
monster cards for "summonable monsters"
custom spell book for PC's spells (copied from SRD)
inventory sheet (a page for the char-sheet, just for inventory)
a combat sheet (a page for the char-sheet, holds the combat stats and HP scratch pad)

I tend to like a char-sheet, with 1 page per "topic" be it: basic stats, skills, inventory, spells, combat, feats & abilities

I don't mind a multi-page sheet, because it keeps the data on it simple. It's not crowded, so it's easy to flip pages and find what I need.

Remove ads