D&D General Past Edition books in D&D5E

Xeviat

Hero
What D&D books from editions past do you still use, and what for? Do you use any books from other games?

For myself, I use the following books regularly still:

• 3.5 PHB: I use some of the skill DC tables still, nudged down to the shorter 5E scale.
  • 3.5 DMG: Sometimes I use the magic items (enhancement bonuses divided by 2, rounded down if it has another function and rounded up if it has nothing else). I use the random settlement stuff a lot (just rolled up a whole village actually).
  • 3.5 and 4E MMs: I often find myself looking at both 3.5 and 4E monster manuals for things to spice up my monsters. I make lots of custom monsters.
  • Heroes of Battle/Heroes of Horror: these genre books help me with some things.
  • 3E Manual of the Planes and Deities and Demigods: Lore, some mechanics, and some templates have proven useful to me.
Any books you're still referencing?

Zardnaar

Legend
Right now Drow stuff and 3.5 Underdark.

IMG_20210228_121833.jpg

And rereading WotSQ.

R_J_K75

Legend
I currently play 5E. I use all the core books (PHB, DMG, & MM) from 1E, 2E, 3.5. I still have a good portion of the hardbacks for 3.x too. I use the campaign settings for the Forgotten Realms (all except 4E), Dark Sun 2E revised and Eberron 3E. The only campaign supplements I kept were a good portion of my FR collection. I kept my Encyclopedia of Magica from 2E as well. I got rid of everything else at various points, mostly for reasons other than them no longer being useful. When I say I use them it means I reference them from time to time. If its a creature, spell or magical item for instance I like to see its lineage from edition to edition. Same with rules, I like to see how they have evolved or look up the ones that aren't in the current edition. Except for a few FR ones, I didn't keep 99% of my adventures, I don't convert ones from older editions. Maps of course just because they are cool.

Remove ads