Pathfinder 2E Pathfinder 2E play report

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
First session last night - a session 0 with character creation and about 90-mins of play.

Character creation (there were three of us) was super quick. Admittedly, we're all old-hands at this sort of thing, but as our first PF2 characters, it took us about 45 minutes (including a lot of chatter, joking, and stuff). Very, very smooth and easy to do. More so than I expected. I lve life-path systems, and I love that PF2 has a sort of lite pseudo-life-path system.

I made a razortooth goblin wizard (tinker) with a clockwork owl famliar and a terrible French accent. Now all goblins are French. Other players had a half-orc champion and a halfling rogue.

First bit of actual play, honestly, it just felt exactly like PF1 or 5E or whatever. Minor details, but these games all have a similar default universe and gameplay. We didn't use minis, so it was all theatre of the mind, but we were on a ship which was attacked by some goblins in a rowboat. Easy fight. I magic missiled one, one got a javelin in the face, then the rowboat was sunk by throwing the body of our treacherous first mate (a dwarf) onto it.

Overall - smooth, easy, we all pretty much instinctively knew how to play it anyway (so I can't speak for those new to RPGs). It felt "lighter" than PF1.

Next session next Thursday.

I'm happy to hear a positive report. I have not bought PF2e, as my groups are focused on PF1e and (now) 5e, but I might do so if I read a few more positive reports.

Did you have any reports about crunch?

(By the way... French goblins? My goblins loved using cowbells for music. But now, they'll be French-accented goblins using cowbells for music.)

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Since I'm not familiar with PF2e, I am unfamiliar with a lot of terms. I get the flavor of a clockwork familiar, but... how is that different from a biological familiar?
It’s not, it’s just fluff. Works exactly the same as a regular familiar. I just wanted to theme it a little.

Campbell

Relaxed Intensity
The player basically gets to define what the familiar is like. There is a baseline set of stats for all familiars and during your daily preparations you get to channel a number of familiar and/or master abilities into the familiar.

They do say if your familiar is based off an animal like an owl you have to choose abilities like flier to represent that.

In the fiction familiars become something more than they once were and the wizard can use their magic to reshape it on a daily basis though a snake should still be a snake. Abilities include things like your familiar being able to understand and speak a language, speak to others of it's kind, and even performing quick alchemy. They can also have master abilities that help you be a better spell caster.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
In other news, my dog has eaten my character sheet. I guess I'm starting again!

Anyone know of any good character builders on Mac or iOS?

Len

Prodigal Member
Anyone know of any good character builders on Mac or iOS?
Don't! Your dog will just end up eating your iPad too.

You should get to the root of the problem by figuring out what exactly your dog objects to about your character. Was your build insufficiently optimized? Or was he expressing dissatisfaction with character generation in Pathfinder 2?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Don't! Your dog will just end up eating your iPad too.

You should get to the root of the problem by figuring out what exactly your dog objects to about your character. Was your build insufficiently optimized? Or was he expressing dissatisfaction with character generation in Pathfinder 2?

Dissatisfaction? Quite the opposite!

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases