Pathfinder 2E Pathfinder 2e

Eric V

Hero
I am not trying to make claims about comparative quality. My personal opinion is that both Fifth Edition and Pathfinder Second Edition are excellent designs that do what they set out to do.

Again I am not making claims that one game is superior to another. I think they do different things well and am largely glad we have both.

Wow, are you ever bending over backwards to make sure nothing you say comes off as critical of 5e...on the Pathfinder section of the site, no less! Mad respect, but it's a shame you have to do this...

I really appreciate your reviews of PF2, and as a DM whose group has vocally said they've had enough of 5e, I DO appreciate the comparisons that help us decide if that's the game we should go to. Very helpful, thanks.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Baywatch was very popular back in the day... ;)

But D&D isn't "very popular" properly speaking in that sense. Similar to how Breaking Bad is critically successful and watched by many people, there is a larger segment of society who doesn't watch it but tunes in every week to NCIS. The NCIS/Baywatch crowd in tabletop gaming terms are Monopoly or Risk. D&D 5E is the biggest RPG of all time, and has made inroads in broader circles...like a hit Cable show. Not a Network or Ye Oldde Tyme syndication hit

DSumner

Explorer
The game is crunchier than D&D 5e, but more streamlined than PF1. It's not as onerous as many critics suggest, and not difficult at all to learn. The keywords seem daunting at first, but are all clearly explained in the excellent index/glossary. It's got a lot of flavour, that I hope doesn't get lost by players assuming more complexity than is actually there.

How would you define "Crunchier"?

Kel Ardan

Explorer
DSumner, what Arilyn said above and an example of this is making a Paladin in 5E you have 21 total choices to make from levels 1 & 20 with PF 2E you make 73 choices over those levels to make a Champion. Plus there is a ton of down time activities for a more in depth gaming system.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
Paizo also had an extremely bad habit of not listening to feedback at all. A lot of their supplements included classes designed as they are because the developers thought they knew best. And the supplements were pretty bad because of it.

That has not been my experience with the company at all - not since they took over the publication of Dragon and Dungeon magazines, and not now. The possibility that they aren't following the advice of the feedback you agree with doesn't mean they aren't listening to feedback. They're just making decisions you don't agree with.

Remove ads